wiring - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > wiring

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 03-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #31
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Can you point me to where/what good connectors look like. I've always used the cheap ones like you've mentioned. And I don't know how to use shrink tubing either. (electrical has been huge weakness for me)

1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #32
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by linusb View Post
Can you point me to where/what good connectors look like. I've always used the cheap ones like you've mentioned. And I don't know how to use shrink tubing either. (electrical has been huge weakness for me)
I cant seem to find any I was looking at. Normally solid copper. I figure the cheap ones would work but take the crappy plastic off of it. It's useless and just gets in the way. You could always go to RadioShack or an autoparts store and look at them. Just make sure to get the right size for the relays and switches as well as the wire. If you are going to double the wire like in wiring the switches in parallel I'd suggest going a wire size bigger on the terminals so you can fit them together more easily. Sorry I am not more use. I go off and give advice and can't back it up!

Shrink tubing is super simple. It comes in a few different sizes so you will need to find the appropriate size. You cut it and slip it onto the wire before you crimp the terminal on. Crimp the terminal, add a little solder for a very solid connection(this is optional but if you have the stuff, why not?) and then slide the shrink tube up to the terminal and grab a hair dryer(works best aside from a heat gun) or a lighter and evenly apply heat. The tube shrinks down over the crimp and creates a tight seal. It also provides backbone so the connection is less likely to fail.
Unread 03-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #33
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Fabulous! That helps tremendously!
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
Unread 03-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #34
voz
1991 YJ Wrangler 

not to jack the thread, but I'm also in the process of replacing gauges with autometer on my 89 w/ a 92 4.0 (not working yet)
I found a Service Manual on line but its for a 93, will it be the same for my application?

Thank You!
Unread 03-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #35
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by voz
not to jack the thread, but I'm also in the process of replacing gauges with autometer on my 89 w/ a 92 4.0 (not working yet)
I found a Service Manual on line but its for a 93, will it be the same for my application?

Thank You!
It is a pretty big thread jack considering this thread has nothing to do with gauges. At all.

However, I don't know if it will work. Worth a shot though.
Unread 03-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #36
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by linusb
Fabulous! That helps tremendously!
Post up pictures of what you end up doing. Maybe a schematic too. I like looking at both.
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #37
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I will. Fuse block and relay box will be here weds courtesy of amazon. I also ordered switch plate and associated hardware from a separate vendor.

Hope to wire it up Sunday.
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #38
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by linusb
I will. Fuse block and relay box will be here weds courtesy of amazon. I also ordered switch plate and associated hardware from a separate vendor.

Hope to wire it up Sunday.
Oh nice. Links to the plate?
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #39
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Like the one shown for winch control except it will have room for three total switches: two of which will control winch and one for OBA.

http://offroadcontrols.com/2orcprod.htm
Unread 03-05-2013, 01:25 AM   #40
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I came across that site when I was looking for terminals for the ford fuse box I have. Looks like good stuff. I'm looking forward to your final results.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.