wiring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > wiring

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 02-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

wiring

I've had my Jeep 3 years and the PO had a mess with the wiring under the dash. I haven't helped any as I've tapped into some random hot wire to power the switch for my on board air, as well another circuit for sound bar, CB, and winch switch.

I want to clean this all up but don't know where to start. What's the correct way to get a 12 volt feed that is switched on with the ignition? and how many accessories should i be running off of such a feed?

THere is a 5 prong connector under dash that wasn't hooked to anything. Two of those prongs have power with ignition so I have one powering the soundbar and one powering the winch switch. My CB is left powerless until I get this figured out.

Also, typical toggle switches you buy have 3 prongs. Is the purpose of the 3rd prong to serve as a jumper to another accessory switch?

I'd really like to put in a CJ dash at some point, but that's probably a ways down the road.

The previous owner has all kinds of crap tapped in to various wires which I don't know what they'd be for because there are no accessories at this point in time except what I've mentioned.

The previous owner did have an after market stereo which wasn't wired in at all and there was also an after market cruise control that I took out.

I don't have a stereo head unit, just the soundbar which has a microjack input that I plug into my iphone for tunes.

With the way the wiring looks, I'm amazed that everything works.

1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

For switched power, you can run a lot of switches off of one wire. Those switches would then turn on relays and power all of the electrical goods you have installed. For the cb, you should use the 12v switched wire directly to a relay which powers your radio.

Edit: My post is from memory. I do not have any saved info with me so I apologize if any is wrong.
Unread 02-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr
For switched power, you can run a lot of switches off of one wire. Those switches would then turn on relays and power all of the electrical goods you have installed. For the cb, you should use the 12v switched wire directly to a relay which powers your radio.

Edit: My post is from memory. I do not have any saved info with me so I apologize if any is wrong.
I put in an aux fuse panel under the hood for this specific reason, adds 6 fuses.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Good point.
Unread 02-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

So the source I have found that comes on with ignition, should I use that to source an auxiliary fuse box? From the fuse box I could power the following toggle switches:
1) on board air (stock a/c compressor)
2) winch (in/out/off)
3) secondary switch for #2 to prevent accidental winch activation

Then I need my soundbar and cb wired without toggle switches straight to fuse box.

I don't understand where the relays come in. Aren't these accessories low enough amperage to just flow power to the load directly through the toggle switch?

What about running a heavier gauged wire from battery to a master accessory switch to fuse box to the other switches and accessories listed above, requiring me to make sure I turn off that switch each time I leave vehicle lest I drain battery.

I have a very minimal understanding of electrical design so any education is helpful to me. How about the switches, is that third prong used optionally to power an adjacent switch?
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
Unread 02-27-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

The winch and winch power switch are low amps and don't need a relay. The OBA should have a relay and a pressure switch wired into as well. I think the compressor clutch may be to much amperage for a switch. Plus you can then run smaller wires to it through the firewall.

As far as the cb, I don't know what amperages they take. So you could run it on a switch without one of you wanted, probably. Edit: Just realized you said straight to fuse box with this and your sound bar. IMO you would need to run a heavier gauge wire from the battery for this.

As for the third connector I'd say it's a ground if it's the lighted one you told me about.

The best way to ensure you turn off all of your stuff at the same time would be to run a fusebox powered by a keyed ignition source. That way, when the Jeep is off, so is everything else. I'd power it through a relay, but that's just me. I guess I really like the idea of everything on relays.
Unread 02-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks! The OBA does have the pressure switch in the circuit. Putting in a relay for that sounds like a good idea now that you mention it. I'm running 12 or 14 gauge wire to it currently. I'm not sure what amperage the switch is rated for.
Unread 02-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #8
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by linusb
Thanks! The OBA does have the pressure switch in the circuit. Putting in a relay for that sounds like a good idea now that you mention it. I'm running 12 or 14 gauge wire to it currently. I'm not sure what amperage the switch is rated for.
That is massive wire to a switch in the cab. Stick a relay in the system and you can run a much smaller wire 16-18ga(if I remember correctly). It's safer too because relays require a small amount of power to be activated so instead of a high amount of amps you get a tiny amount.
Unread 02-27-2013, 06:36 PM   #9
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Also, I apologize if I don't make any sense. I'm on my phone and having a hard time getting my thoughts across.
Unread 02-27-2013, 06:36 PM   #10
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr
The best way to ensure you turn off all of your stuff at the same time would be to run a fusebox powered by a keyed ignition source.
This is what I want. I'm just unsure about the right way to get the keyed ignition source. Just find a random unused source like I've done?
Unread 02-27-2013, 06:43 PM   #11
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by linusb View Post
This is what I want. I'm just unsure about the right way to get the keyed ignition source. Just find a random unused source like I've done?
Found a computer at school!

A lot of people use the keyed radio source and that is my plan as well when it comes time for me to add all of my goods. (Don't worry, I have done a lot of reading on the subject!)

In your shoes, I would use the keyed radio wire to power a relay which would then power a fusebox that would allow you to run things of your choosing. It can be mounted in the cab or engine bay, your choice.

I dug up this article to maybe help explain relays and how to wire them.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/w...ations-378268/

Edit: The cigar wire as pointed out below is good too.
Unread 02-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #12
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

No, what you want to do is go through your original fuse box, if you want ignition activation. I suggest going through your cigar lighter. This way, there is no draw on any other system component, plus it's already fused, and upping the fuse as per the device being powered is possible. My aux fuse panel is hooked directly to my battery as it is hooked up to my alarm, under body flood lights and my winch cam. So all of these I normally would like to run with the jeep off. Not so much the cam. I personally like 16g wire for most everything. Oh and I have my cb hooked up to my capacitor for my amp. It gets a bit staticky while capacitor is charging lol.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #13
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you so much-Very helpful!!
Unread 02-28-2013, 12:40 AM   #14
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thank you so much-Very helpful!!
Feel free to email or text me if you want. I may be of some assistance.
Unread 02-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #15
yjkid4life

so im rebuilding my dash on my 90 yj and i have a question i want to install all new guages and ive searched over the forums and alot of people are saying to use autometer guages. ok. now im great when it comes to wiring things but i just wanted to no the stock harness that plugs into the stock guage cluster can i just tape that off and tuck it out of the way or is there i diagram i can get to tap into those wires instead of running new wires to each sending unit/sensor. I have experienced electrical problems in the past on chrysler esp. that when u disconnect some harnesses and try and run vehical you will get a short to ground and motor wont start i was wondering if i would face a problem like this? i wouldnt mind just running nice new wire anyway to each sending unit/sensor... please help
yjkid4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.