wire harness messed up at Fuse box? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > wire harness messed up at Fuse box?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-16-2013, 10:17 PM   #31
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I pulled each fuse today and tested to see which side was hot. I don't really think I have a PDC. At least not like the on in my 89 XJ. I have a couple of relays by the battery,but that's about it. Maybe I am all wet on tis. I did see that there is an ECU up above the heater today. Didn't think I had one either.
I listed the sides I have in the fuse box that are hot.
If you have a link, toss it my way. I have more paper than I have crimp connectors.
Would love to be able to take this rig out for a ride some day soon.

ad-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2013, 06:33 AM   #32
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you pulled the fuses which over of the fuses were back feeding? I am just assuming but you have issue with 2 fuses I am just guessing but are the 2 back feeding each other? If you pull the fuse on one does it drop the 12 volts on the other one?
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2013, 07:26 AM   #33
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, I think its just 2 fuses at this time. #2 & #3 from the drawing in post #27
#2 Right side is 13.45 Left side is 12.88 with fuse #3 in with it out
#2 Right side is 13.65 Left side is -44.50
#3 Right side is 13.49 Left side is bouncing around to much to get an accurate reading. This is with #2 in, with it out,
#3 Right side is 13.45 Left side is still bouncing

A couple of other things I found while messing with it this morning.
If I have a fuse in the #6 spot, the coil stays hot even with the key off. I can start the rig just fine, but to stop the motor, I have to pull the fuse or just leave it out and all that is good.
I also can not keep a fuse from blowing in #10 slot. According to this drawing that is Cruise,Radio, Cig. lighter. None of which I have in this rig. Guessing that one is a bare wire for one of the t that is touching some where.
Going to take a nap and try it some more.
I still think that the fuse box is messed up. I think somewhere there are a couple of wires that are in the wrong spot and feeding power where it shouldn't.
What I really need is a readable drawing of the fuse box itself. One that tell me color of wire, where it goes, which side should have power and when.
A drawing like the one in this thread I started.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/d...-copy-1494239/

With this at least I would know if it is wired wrong of if I have burn/crossed wires.
Unread 03-17-2013, 07:47 AM   #34
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The coil is probably being back feed through the alternator. It is a common issue with rewire. Disconnect the alternator and see if the coil voltage drops.
The #6 take a look at the radio connector. Rewiring for the radio is the usually culprit.
Unread 03-17-2013, 07:51 AM   #35
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

FSM Link:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40590346/1990%20Jeep%20Factory%20Service%20Manual.pdf
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40590346/87-88%20YJ%20Jeep%20Wrangler%20FSM%20manual.pdf
Unread 03-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #36
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Ok I am getting confused between threads. You post the FSM here yesterday then in cleaner copy today.
I did notice when i replaced the solenoid that it has 2 green wires that comes off of both small studs, then they are spliced together to the (I think the positive side) left side and a red off of the right side. I don't remember when that one went. Will have to look it over when I get home. I don't think it went to the alternator though. Just going off of memory here
Unread 03-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #37
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Ok here is what i have for colored wires in the fuse box. If the colored box is around more than 1 contact point then they all feed off of where the line points to. I mean to say that there is a buss work persay from that point. The yellow is a little tough to see.
Not sure how to do the junction box. I need to look in the FSM and see if it shows the junction plugs

forumrunner_20130318_131838.png
Unread 03-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #38
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Well I mapped out the wires and now all I have really accomplished is that the engine harness is not as bad off as I had thought. Other than missing so few wire. The colors do at least match up. Does not mean that they go or come from where I think they should but, It is closer than I thought it was going to be.
The view of the plug is from the front of the jeep looking towards the drivers seat. The next pic is the simple spread sheet I did to compare the wires. The "X" is a blank spot in the plug and the Yellow ones are the ones that are different.
Although I did not find the problem in this exercise, I have eliminated one option of what I might be.
Back to the chalk board
plug-worksheet.jpg   connection-plug-only.jpg  
Unread 03-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #39
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

WOW Thats big huh??
Unread 03-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #40
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

What year and vehicle are the harness from for each. I am having a little difficult time trying to follow what on.
Unread 03-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #41
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Thats the 87 yj. Looking over the fsm on the fuse block, it seems that the right color wire are there. I just need to hand trace the orange wire back from the dimmer switch to whatever is feeding it power. That will solve my biggest problem. I should be able to figure out the head lights easy enough. That has to be a bad connection or cut wire for the high beams. Then once this is all back together I can get to the coil.
Then I should be out driving this pup.
Unread 03-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #42
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The coil thing try and disconnect the alternator. I have seen it too many times on FI swaps.
Unread 03-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #43
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, I am back from Vaca. Thanks again Que89yj. I have been looking over the DL's you sent me a few weeks ago. WOW!!! What a vast amount of information. Thank you!!
So I started to mess with it again this morning. Got frustrated with not being able to get in there and see what I needed to so I yanked the whole harness from under the dash. I was hoping to find some simple BS wire tap
or a bad splice. But I don't see anything. I did find some splices that were wrapped in duct tape, thought that was it, But they are Factory splices. Go figure!?!?. I did find one red wire that was rubbing through on the back of the
dash and taped it up.BUT that was not my fix.
I check the orange wire on the left side of the fuse for the dash lights and it is fine. Rings out good to the switch. The switch is out so its not a bad switch. Then I start ringing the right side of the fuse. That orange and black wire runs up in to the harness about 2 feet then splices off in to 8 others and they head to all the dash lights. I can not see any problem with any of those wires. I have not stripped them all the way, BUT I have stripped it all the way passed the Red wire.
At D4 on the C100 connections at the fire wall. I put a probe on the orange w/ black wire in the fuse box and then one at D4 and it rings. D4 is a Red (hot) wire. It is hot on both sides of the plug. So I know that these lights are getting power from this wire some where.
\So I chase it. It goes up to the start switch. About half way there it also splices off and sends 3 smaller reds back towards the fuse box. 2 go to the fuse box and one to the head light side of the C100 plug. Both of the reds in the fuse box are on the other side of the box and do not touch the orange w/ black wire that has the mystery power. I have looked all the red wires over and they don't really come any where near the orange one in the harness. All the wires are in good shape. I don't see any melting or bare, black, damaged spots.
Everything looks good other than my orange w/ black ringing out to the reds. Each point of them will ring out to each point. I mean I can put a probe anywhere and get it to ring out to all 5 ends of the red, 6 if you count the splice and all 10 of the orange w/ black counting the splice.
Some how power is getting from the red to the orange w/ black and pissing my off. I can find NO reason for this to be. But it is
Unread 03-31-2013, 08:02 PM   #44
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

FOUND IT!!! Finally. With a huge round of applause to Que89yj, Thanks for the info!!
I finally found that the radio connections (C149 & C150) were hooked up to each other?!?!??!
I do not know why they would make to plugs that would actually hook up to each other so close on the harness that someone would think they should be hooked up. The orange w/ black wire that is supposed to be to light up the radio was run in to the wire for the left speaker. The pink wire that is supposed to gibe power to the radio was hooked up to the speaker wires and that gave power to the back side of the dash lights and running lights.
I would have never ever figured it out if I had not pulled the harness out. Even when I first saw it, I said to myself that that was weird to see to plugs hooked to each other, But to day I finally rung them out and figured it out.
Awesome, Now I need to get some tape and tape this thing back up and put it back in. I think this is going to fix a few things, Not all but one huge one that I can now start working on the other issues. Here is a photo of the plugs.
harness-004.jpg  
Unread 04-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #45
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Hey Que89yj. On the coil, you are saying that i should check the voltage on the coil while it is running? Check it at the + & - wires o. The top of the coil. Then un hook the alternator and check the voltage again? Am i understanding that right?
I am not near it right now just thinking of what i am going to do to it when I get home tonight. Wont the engine die when i un hook the alternator? Are you thinking that the wires are mixed up at the solenoid? I did replace that a few weeks ago and it did seem that there were 4 or 5 wires on one side where the battery bolts up and the 2 little studs on the front of it had one wire each. For some reason i remember thinking they were both the same color wire and might be going to the same place. But i didn't chase them at that time.
What do you think.
You were spot on about the radio connections, i just didnt understand what you meant at the time.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.