wire harness messed up at Fuse box? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > wire harness messed up at Fuse box?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 03-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #1
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

wire harness messed up at Fuse box?

So I bought this YJ a few days ago and have been fine tuning the electrical on it. I have a few problems I have not been able to find an answer too.
1) My dash/ gauge lights stay on all the time untill I disconnect the battery.
2) My Running lights come one when I push the running light switch----BUT they also come one if I rotate the dimmer up like I am turning on the lights inside.
3) I have no power to my gauges, just lights
4) I have head lights, but not High Beams.

I have the dash taken apart, looked over everything. I spliced in a wire to the gauges from the fuse box for a temp fix and all the gauges work. (Happy with that, its just not right)
I took apart the wire harness at the firewall/fuse box and noticed that the harness in the engine compartment is new while the one under the dash might be original.
I got to thinking that maybe the 2 harnessed don't match up just right and I have a hot for the dash lights where I should not. Not sure about the running lights, but something is not right there. and the wire to my gauges is not hot as well as the high beams.

I am no electrician and wiring diagrams are not Greek to me but they are Spanish. Which means I can understand some of it but not all of it.

How do I check this out one side to another???

Pictures and drawing work best for me.
Thanks

ad-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 09:35 PM   #2
rubinscube
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have found wiring harness diagrams on scribd. I also have Googled my yj in Google images:

wiring harness diagram 1988 yj

.........and that sometimes works for more colorful pics.

good luck
rubinscube is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 09:28 PM   #3
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks, I havn't had any luck finding a diagram of what I need so far. But more poking around and I am really feeling screwed. I see that someone has put in a brand new harness in the engine compartment, But did not replace the one inside under the dash. So I am really starting to thing that the wires at the junction block are not hooking up where they are supposed to. And guess what. I can not find a diagram for the block either to see if I need to move some stuff around to make it work. Its not that many wires really, but I have nothing to go by at all. Some where is one wire that is hot when it should be not hot and there has to be one that is not hot that should be. All I have is a Chiltons, Would really like to get my hands on a full on service manual to see if there is any thing that will help me.
Unread 03-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #4
rubinscube
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I could give it a try Tuesday.
What year yj?
Unread 03-11-2013, 10:44 PM   #5
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

87, thanks but give what a try.
Unread 03-11-2013, 10:55 PM   #6
rubinscube
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Find a wiring diagram for your jeep.
Unread 03-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #7
rubinscube
1988 YJ Wrangler 

hopefully these will help
1987-body-wiring-2-4.2.jpg   1987engine-wiring-4.2.jpg  
Unread 03-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #8
rubinscube
1988 YJ Wrangler 

images location:
http://www.jeepz.com/forum/cj-yj-tj-...g-problem.html
1987engine-wiring-4.2.jpg   1987-body-wiring-4.2.jpg  
Unread 03-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #9
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks. Those are straight out of chiltons. They (and i am going by memory here since I am looking ar these on my phone) but I think it says a pink wire with a orange strip going through the courtesy lights then over to the dimmer switch then to fuse #5 where it changes to orange wire with black strip then to the gauges. But for some reason I have a orange wire and a white w/ black strip(maybe the opposite on that one). But they are both hot all the time at the dimmer switch. That is making me think there is something switched ar the junction block behind the fuse box. Plus I downloaded the instruction manual for my year jeep from the painless site. They also show an orange wire at the dimmer when these diagrams show a pink w/black orange strip. Thats where and why I am getting confused.
Unread 03-12-2013, 12:43 PM   #10
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

What I think I need is a diagram that says #24 on the engine side of the junction block is a red wire that is hot. Then it matches up to #24 on the block on the inside that goes to say fuse #6 left side. Then the right side goes to whatever. Does that make any sense?
Unread 03-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #11
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ad-man, it is easy to scare yourself on the wiring but if you have a meter and a little patience we can get the lights figured out. The low beam/high beam is no big deal. If anything it gives you a reason to do your first mod. The headlights through the switch...leave a lot to be desired. The voltage drop is huge through the harness and switch. I would recommend doing the relay mod for the lights.

The cluster is all under the IP. You need to pull the cluster and see if you have power at the cluster connector with the ignition on. The cluster are notorious for corrosion.

The dash lights and guage lights are all wired through The dimmer switch.Disconnect the dimmer switch connector and see if the lights go out. We can get it figured out.

You are definitely going to need a miltimeter to figure it out but it really isnt that bad.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 01:00 PM   #12
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, I planned on that fix later for the head lights. Right now I want to get the dash lights figures out so I can leave the battery hooked up and charging. I can drive with low beams for a while and throw on the spot lights if I get the urge to go off road at night anytime soon. Thanks for your encouragement. I just feel better if i knew what I was supposed to find at the plug. What is throwing me is that the wire at the dimmer are hot even with the key off.
Unread 03-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #13
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I have taken the head light switch and dimmer switch apart and cleaned them, wire brushed them and the plugs also. Been cleaning everything as i go along. I haven't go to the engine side yet. Also forgive mu ignorance but what do you mean the "IP"?
Unread 03-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #14
rubinscube
1988 YJ Wrangler 

too bad your not in Colorado, I would just bring over my multimeter and beer

maybe you could upload some pics pointing to what you need, then I could take the same pics on my YJ showing the wires.

in the meantime I will just take pics of wires and upload them today, maybe I it will help
Unread 03-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #15
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I wish I was back in CO. Born and raised in La Junta. I have some picks that I took this weekend. Will try to take some more tonight depending what time I get home. League night tonight. Its the start of our golf season.;-)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.