Wipers work, but wipers dont work when try to spray fluid (no fluid either) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Wipers work, but wipers dont work when try to spray fluid (no fluid either)

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 05-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Wipers work, but wipers dont work when try to spray fluid (no fluid either)

So I'm trying to figure out where to start fixing the washer fluid spray and such.

If I turn the knob on the turn signal to turn my wipers on, they work. No problem.

If I twist the thing to spray washer fluid, it doesnt spray AND it doesnt wipe.
They are supposed to spray and wipe at the same time right????

It doesnt sound like the washer sprayer motor is running, but is there a simple plug to check or is this the switch in the column?

If it's in the column, I'll probably just leave it the hell alone. I vaguly remember the sprayer working about 2 years ago :/
Not my DD.

Unread 05-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Looking at the schematics, the only commonality is with the wiper switch itself that I can see that could cause this. Either that or the wiring in between (in column). Do you have intermittent wipers (delay control)? If so, you could also try disconnecting this module and bypass it by plugging the to connectors back together without it. This module, if present, is under the dash alongside the steering column. Commonly Velcro is all that holds it in place.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Start by testing the connection at the washer bottle. I believe that the connection at the bottle triggers the corresponding wiper. Don't quote me on that.
Unread 05-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The schematics could be wrong, but they show the washer pump as a stand alone unit separate from the motor. Simply has power in to the pump from the switch and then straight to ground.
Unread 05-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Im not positive if I have intermittant... I know there are a couple positions, but I will double check that. I do remember there being a module stuck to the bottom of the steering column. Not sure which controls the delay if present, but I'll dig around it some.

That would make sense if the motor is tied into the delay/spray etc. bad/fried connections in the motor preventing any signal back to trigger the wipe. I just know that thing is a BEACH to access
Unread 05-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well, I'll pull the jug and test the motor, cause if the switch is what's F'd, no sense sloshing the extra 1lb around.
Unread 05-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdeath2000 View Post
Well, I'll pull the jug and test the motor, cause if the switch is what's F'd, no sense sloshing the extra 1lb around.
You may have more than one issue, being the washer pump could be bad, plus wiring in the control switch. But if you do in fact have intermittent wipers, then first try removing the intermittent control module as this is free to do and real easy to test by bypassing it by reconnecting the connectors together without the module. If not, then as previously stated, I would suspect a wiring and or switch issue in the column. Even then, this is not all that hard to resolve.
Unread 05-04-2013, 07:31 AM   #8
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I assume the washer/wiper switch doesn't go through the wiper delay module, or does it? I scavenged a few at the junkyard because I need my wiper delay.

I also like the washers on my YJ. I will fix it if it ever fails.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #9
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Been a while, so I'll update. I did some more testing since I had that all open doing my tube fenders.

Motor is good, hooked a 9v up to it and it pumped and ran just fine. Blew threw the hose and it sprayed the reminents of fluid out just fine. Ground is good, checked continuity between the plug ground and the crappy one by the headlight. seemed like .5v on the positive side when activating it.

I forgot to check for that intermittant wiper module.

the wipers work when using the normal just wiper activation or the hold back and it wipes option. Just the rotate for spray does nothing.
Sounds like I may just wire a new standalone switch to the plug.
Unread 06-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #10
metalhead
2000 WJ 

I have a similar issue. I have the intermittant wipers. When I hit the washer button nothing sprays out. Then when I hit the washer button for the rear wiper(hard top) and then hit the front washer button I get a small amount of spray. If I keep rocking the switch it sprays more. I have to keep rocking the switch back and forth several times to get it to spray.
metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 01:14 PM   #11
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Any chance any of you guys know the AMP draw of the pump?

Looking at push button momentary switches. .5 amp, 3amp.... 5amp??? I can't imagine it's drawing much and a .5amp switch should probably be fine?
Unread 06-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #12
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
I assume the washer/wiper switch doesn't go through the wiper delay module, or does it? I scavenged a few at the junkyard because I need my wiper delay.

I also like the washers on my YJ. I will fix it if it ever fails.
With intermittent wipers, all wiper/washer switch functions route through the intermittent wiper module. Likely the washer function is a straight pass through, but I cannot confirm that.
Unread 06-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #13
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead View Post
I have a similar issue. I have the intermittant wipers. When I hit the washer button nothing sprays out. Then when I hit the washer button for the rear wiper(hard top) and then hit the front washer button I get a small amount of spray. If I keep rocking the switch it sprays more. I have to keep rocking the switch back and forth several times to get it to spray.
The hard top models present another wrinkle given the rear wiper. My schematics don't include the hardtop, so I can't help delve into that issue any further.
Unread 06-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #14
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdeath2000 View Post
Any chance any of you guys know the AMP draw of the pump?

Looking at push button momentary switches. .5 amp, 3amp.... 5amp??? I can't imagine it's drawing much and a .5amp switch should probably be fine?
The entire circuit is protected with a 5.3amp fuse and this provides power for both the wiper motor and washer pump. Without specs on the washer motor, I would just be guessing, but I bet you are right in that it doesn't draw much on a 12vdc circuit. If you have an ammeter, our better yet a DVM (digital volt meter) with an amp meter function, you could jump power through your meter leads(using the 10amp connection or equivalent) to the washer motor and then you would see exactly what it draws. Add approx. 50% to that value for when sizing a switch. If adding a switch as you sound like you are planning, be sure to fuse the source power unless you tap power from the wiper circuit downstream from the fuse.
Unread 06-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #15
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Cool. I got a few 6A/125vac switches coming. i'll check with my DVM (not very good with it, but getting better) and see what I can get.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.