WipeBoy Wiper Kit: Is it worth it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > WipeBoy Wiper Kit: Is it worth it?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-27-2011, 08:06 PM   #1
91BoD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

WipeBoy Wiper Kit: Is it worth it?

I need new wiper blades and arms (Springs are shot, arms are tweaked, and rusty)
Should I get the wiperboy kit? How much more travel does it give the wipers?

Would you recommend it?
http://riptech.net/cgi-bin/ps.cgi?AC..._ID=1807393902

Thanks

91BoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2011, 10:15 PM   #2
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It's not going to give you any more "travel" except to the new down position. If you already need arms etc. probably worth the money, just to have the wipers rest lower, not worth the money.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 12:47 AM   #3
OnlyOneKeano
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91BoD View Post
I need new wiper blades and arms (Springs are shot, arms are tweaked, and rusty)
Should I get the wiperboy kit? How much more travel does it give the wipers?

Would you recommend it?
http://riptech.net/cgi-bin/ps.cgi?AC..._ID=1807393902

Thanks
Personally, I;ve been thinking about this kit for a while now. Just dont know if its worth the $$

Fall is here and winter is coming and out here in Vancouver our wipers get alot of mileage. Last winter I tried a product (from a cousin who owns a glass shop) called 'AquaPel'. Very easy to apply, its a high performance, longer lasting (6-8 months) version of RainX water repellant and it works amazing. Water beads off clear, visibility is amazing from a sprinkle to a torrential downpour (w/o using wipers!)

Anytime i have the jeep over 50km/hr and its raining i don't need my wipers... so it would really be cool to get them outta my line of sight!
OnlyOneKeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 01:32 AM   #4
91BoD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'm in the PNW too an I completely understand the need for good wipers. I just ordered them, specifying I want an extra long motor arm. Hopefully I get complete window coverage with laydown wipers! worth a shot considering new wiper arms were going to be ~$40+wipers
Aquapel sounds awesome! I've had terrible luck with rain-x on my YJ (while great experiance with cars?), maybe aquapel is what I need. I'm certainly up for anything at this point.
I currently have wipers that chatter and smear across the window with non-exsistant rain-x that was just applied.
Unread 09-28-2011, 08:08 AM   #5
bhartwell59
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I was even wondering if getting the TJ style would work ($24/per arm):
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/tj/Windshield_wipers.htm
4.2 '87 yj, 300,000+ miles, mopar mpi, 33" bfg mud KM2, skyjacker 4", 3.73 gears, arb lockers-f and r., tom wood's 2.07 sye conversion, tom wood's hd driveshaft, magnaflow cat/custom exhaust, 4wd rear bumper/swing-out tire carrier
bhartwell59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 09:07 AM   #6
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I looked at this kit too. It seems great! New arms, blades and repositioning them all lower. There's one problem, how would you know if your arms were in need of replacing if you couldn't inspect them while driving?

I like when my passengers tell me to put my wipers down, then I reminded one of the time his wiper motor broke on his sedan in a downpour. Good passengers not only keep their mouths shut, they borrow a squeegee from a gas station and ensure we arrive at our destination safely. Yes I returned the squeegee
Unread 09-28-2011, 10:11 AM   #7
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Good passengers not only keep their mouths shut, they borrow a squeegee from a gas station and ensure we arrive at our destination safely. Yes I returned the squeegee
Been there done that. And yes, I returned the squeegee too... after a 200 mile roadtrip in the rain. I had my passenger hanging out the window to clean the windshield on a volkswagen convertable. It was probably a pretty funny sight.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 10:24 AM   #8
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i put it on my 92 8 years ago. at that time all they sold you was the arm that goes on the motor and you had to shorten the right wiper arm about an inch or so. i ran into the owner in a parking lot in so. cal and he gave me his card. the up travel is the same just the down travel goes all the way down. next to lifting my jeep 3 inches the best thing i ever did was get this. no more driving around with the wipers parked at the 1 o'clock position.
kahanabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 11:49 AM   #9
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Good passengers not only keep their mouths shut, they borrow a squeegee from a gas station and ensure we arrive at our destination safely. Yes I returned the squeegee
I just pennied up $4 and got one from autozone I get a lot of laughs on the trail when I stop at creeks to wet it, even more when I use it on the road for the inside of the windshield. I'm thinking about trying to make some manual wipers for the inside of the windshield next summer.

bhartwell59: Just putting on TJ arms wouldn't work, you'd need a new wiper motor arm also. I don't know if the TJ and YJ arms are interchangeable.
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #494
JFranko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #10
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
It's not going to give you any more "travel" except to the new down position. If you already need arms etc. probably worth the money, just to have the wipers rest lower, not worth the money.
I agree with this. If you drive your jeep daily then it might be worth it. I only drive mine to wheel and cruise around town, but mainly wheel. So to me it wouldn't be worth the money unless I needed to replace the whole assembly.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 06:00 PM   #11
91BoD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

To everyone claiming it won't give more travel. Then please explain why they include a new longer motor arm?
To the guy that said there is only more down travel, more travel is more travel how you use it determines where the wiper goes.
I look forward to getting the kit and testing it out. There will be pictures and hard evidence of how much window coverage is improved.

It doesn't bother me to have the wipers park on the window, but I can imagine it will be great to not have them there, just like flipping the mirror around or taking off the upper part of the half doors.
Unread 09-28-2011, 06:05 PM   #12
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The longer arm just gives it more room at the "rest" position which keeps the wiper arms off the windshield. The only way to get a longer stroke is to change out the motor with one with a longer radius or change the geometric relationship of fulcrum to leverage point. I personally don't believe that this kit addresses that issue.
Unread 09-28-2011, 06:07 PM   #13
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
To everyone claiming it won't give more travel. Then please explain why they include a new longer motor arm?
To the guy that said there is only more down travel, more travel is more travel how you use it determines where the wiper goes.
I look forward to getting the kit and testing it out. There will be pictures and hard evidence of how much window coverage is improved.

It doesn't bother me to have the wipers park on the window, but I can imagine it will be great to not have them there, just like flipping the mirror around or taking off the upper part of the half doors.
I'd really appreciate those pics. Thanks for that
[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
HurricaneRZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 06:34 PM   #14
91BoD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA

I'd really appreciate those pics. Thanks for that
No problem, my pleasure

Anticanman please think about what you just said. The second part of your second sentence is what this kit does. Please read this link and the PDF within http://riptech.net/cgi-bin/ps.cgi?AC..._ID=1582005720
Unread 09-28-2011, 09:36 PM   #15
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

There has to be a longer arm because the wipers now stop lower.

How exactly do you think having the wipers park lower allows you to "determine where the wiper goes"? That doesn't even make sense, the wiper will go 4 inches lower than it does now.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.