Windshield wipers not working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Windshield wipers not working

New For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 10-13-2010, 06:15 AM   #1
05F1FIDDY
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Windshield wipers not working

I have a 94 YJ and the windshield wipers stopped working. They came on for a sec then stopped. I'm new to Jeeps, I have no clue on how to fix it. I changed the fuse, but still not working. Thought it could be the switch, but the washer fluid still sprays. What could be the problem? Thanks for the help

05F1FIDDY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2010, 07:52 AM   #2
whyjay
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Mine did that once. Look under the dash near the stearing colum & there is a wire harnes that comes disconected just enough to lose contact. Thats what mine was. I hope this helps.
whyjay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2010, 09:33 AM   #3
57plymouth
1992 YJ Wrangler 

That, or if you have delay wipers the module could be broken. You can remove it and connect the two harnesses together until you can get a spare out of a junkyard.
Unread 10-13-2010, 05:30 PM   #4
94yjsahara
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I removed my module and connected the two harnesses together.

the good - the wipers worked.

the bad - my column started smoking after about 20 seconds where the switch is located.

anybody have any ideas?

hopefully, maybe the switch is just hooped - will a switch change fix the problem? or....

maybe the motor is old and becoming inefficient? drawing too many amps and melting my switch out?

does the intermittent module have some sort of resistor that limits the amount of electricity going up to the switch?

I dont want to hook up my new wiper swich in case it starts melting the new one

how should I go about this?
94yjsahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2010, 08:26 PM   #5
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You get to put the windshield down.

Once you do, the windshield wiper motor is right there out in the open on the driver's side. You can get an inline fuse, some wire, and a 2 position toggle switch and rewire the whole thing or start testing the wires going into the motor to fix it back to stock (which I wouldn't know anything about).

edit: you should try regrounding the motor once you take the windshield down.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2010, 09:24 PM   #6
94yjsahara
1994 YJ Wrangler 

sounds good! I'll try regrounding it first, but does anybody have a writeup for overhauling the motor?
Unread 10-14-2010, 04:21 AM   #7
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've got a spare motor I can make you a good deal on.

johnboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2010, 07:39 AM   #8
BigBass
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Could you do me a favor and get a picture of the plugs both mine and my brothers YJ have no wipers and its a bummer.
Unread 10-14-2010, 05:46 PM   #9
94yjsahara
1994 YJ Wrangler 

you're in west virginia? i'm in vancouver bc lol. I'm going to try to see if I have a loose ground first thats making my wires run hot.

bigbass - the plugs? are you talking about the harnesses on both sides of the wiper module?

if you are, really don't need a picture... just look under your dash just to the right of your e-brake release, there should be a metal plate there with a box VELCROED to it. that box is your intermittent wiper module.

unplug both sides of the module and then put the plugs together (without the module in the middle). thats it!

if your wipers work after you've done this (you wont have intermittent at this point) your motors and switches are fine, just replace the module.

just heads up though, when I did this the switch in my column started smoking! if your switch isnt' fried should be ok
Unread 05-20-2013, 06:54 PM   #10
Dlones
1995 YJ Wrangler 

have this same problem, i tried connecting the wires together without the intermittent module and it didnt work. so i guess it the switch or the motor? could there be a bad ground causing this to happen?? if so where does the ground run to? and wheres the switch that could be bad???
Dlones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 03:10 PM   #11
Red90Islander

I lost my wipers and found that the harness on the backside of module had become partially unplugged..thanks guys, 2 sec. fix!
Red90Islander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.