Windshield wipers making noise and stopping - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Windshield wipers making noise and stopping

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-24-2013, 01:12 AM   #1
glturner39
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Windshield wipers making noise and stopping

Ok. First I have searched and can't find an answer to my question. A couple of weeks ago I lost low speed on my wipers. I pullthecwiper delay module and that gave me low and high, however today I turned the wipers on and suddenly they started making this terrible noise like something was slipping and popping loose. Then the wipers quit mid windshield. I got out and twisted them by hand and they started working again, but still sounds like something is loose. Do I need to drop the windshield to see if something is loose? Any suggestions? Thanks!

glturner39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 01:38 AM   #2
glturner39
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Update- just went outside and tried them again and everything seems fine? WTF? Can the linkage come loose and then pop back on?
glturner39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #3
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Could be the motor is going out. If it was me I'd drop the windshield and see what is going on instead of waiting for it to fail again in the rain.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
XJ93
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancytron View Post
Could be the motor is going out. If it was me I'd drop the windshield and see what is going on instead of waiting for it to fail again in the rain.
This ^. It definitely sounds like the motor is on it's way out. I have replaced many a wiper motor on my many different vehicles through out the years, most of them started acting this way shortly before death.
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.