Windshield wipers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Windshield wipers

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-09-2002, 03:15 PM   #1
jonabbott23

Windshield wipers

I have 92' yj 4.0l Auto....Question------ My windshield wipers have failed on me...Conveniently right when it starts to rain here in Oregon..I have checked the fuses under the dash and under the hood......Nothing.........LOST......I hope it is not in the steering column!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....Thanks for info

Unread 10-09-2002, 03:47 PM   #2
Lab Rat

Wiper Motor

Do you know how to access the wiper motor? Unbolt the windshield and flip it forward. The motor is right there. Check all the connections first. When all else fails, I love the junk, er, salvage yard.

Cheers
Lab Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2002, 04:24 PM   #3
wckdyj

I had the same problem. You need to check the motor...but first check the wires that the windsheild frame presses into the body tub. I bought a new motor just to find out when I took the sheathing off the old wires that the wires had been crushed to the point that the insulation around them cracked and two of the bare wires were touching. So....peel back the sheathing on the wires before you rule that it is the motor. HTH Hope all this makes sence.

For the best prices on parts and all your fabrication needs, call us at (610) 358-3179 or visit us at www.upnover.com
wckdyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2002, 06:40 PM   #4
jonabbott23

Thanks for the info i'll give it a shot right now
Unread 10-09-2002, 10:40 PM   #5
Quan

I had a problem with my wipers last winter... it seemed like water got on some part of the motor and froze cuz they would not start up by themselves sometimes. I had to lift them off the windshield and then push them to the side to get it started.. then sometimes it would do it again. It never happened this summer.. strange...

[b][COLOR=green]Green[/color] Jeep Club Member #15[/b]
[b]My Jeep Made Me Broke Club Member #2[/b]

93 YJ I-6 w/ stuff

Keep the [COLOR=blue]greasy[/color] side down
[URL=http://members.cox.net/quanno/ford88.html]FORD 8.8 INFO HERE![/URL]
Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2002, 10:17 AM   #6
Tnuts

Something else?

About two years ago, I had some problems w/ my w/s wipers and it ended up being the intermittant relay and they would only work on high. if left on intm., they would work off and on sometimes not at all and NOT at the intervals they were supposed to. Check that relay first as you can remove it and reconnect the wires and just have high and low. If all else fails, a good coating of Rain-ex will work WONDERS for a jeep windshield!
Unread 10-10-2002, 03:34 PM   #7
jonabbott23

there is absolutely no sound coming fomr the motor so it either not getting power or the motor is shot....Does that seem right. I have found a motor at a junk yard but they want $40...And i dont want to spend that if it is somnething else.....
Unread 10-10-2002, 04:08 PM   #8
Lab Rat

Wiper Motor

Check:

1. All the connections, follow them wherever they may go and ensure that the sheathing is in good condiction and that the conections are solid at the motor and all ends.

2. Fuse. When in doubt, replace it anyway.

3. I had a Ranger that had a wiper motor that would seize up from time to time. Had to tap it with something to get it unstuck. Not that this would help you. If this is the case, it has to be replaced anyway and 40 bucks aint bad compared to the factory replacement.

4. Get yourself a Haynes, Clymers or Chitlins, I mean Chiltons manual. It's required reading.

Happy motoring
Lab Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2002, 04:36 PM   #9
jonabbott23

I have a Chiltons and it doesnt say &^%$&!!!!!! I have followed the wiring and stripped the protective covering to make sure they werent severed........I think i'm going to replace the motor anyways

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.