Windshield Wiper Not fully swiping? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Windshield Wiper Not fully swiping?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-25-2014, 07:38 PM   #1
adamcarner
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Windshield Wiper Not fully swiping?

My windshield wipers on my '90 Wrangler 4cyl do not wipe all the way across in front of me, The blade stops almost directly in front of my field of view. Is there a way to make it wipe farther or is there a way to adjust it manually so the arm is in a different starting position to compensate? Totally frustrating! The passenger side blade actually hangs off the windshield a tad in the off position, any insight?

Unread 01-25-2014, 09:10 PM   #2
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Yes. Just remove the arm from the pivot and place where you want it.
Unread 01-26-2014, 06:25 AM   #3
adamcarner
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I figured it was as easy as that, however last i looked at it, it was easier said then done. maybe im missing something?
Unread 01-26-2014, 08:52 AM   #4
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

you can move the arm or if you want to spend some money you can get the wipe boy kit which will make a better sweep

http://www.riptech.net/
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2014, 09:01 AM   #5
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I always wondered this too, mine stops like a foot away from the edge of the windshield, and the passenger one stops before it hits the curve from the drivers one.

Unread 01-26-2014, 11:03 AM   #6
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
you can move the arm or if you want to spend some money you can get the wipe boy kit which will make a better sweep

http://www.riptech.net/
Yep! I installed on my 92 years ago now wipers go all the way down.
kahanabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2014, 12:10 PM   #7
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

This is where your wipers should normally sit. If they are lower than that, someone "adjusted" them down too far. It looks better when you aren't using them, but doesn't do the job when you need them.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2014, 12:38 PM   #8
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The wipe boy kit described above increases the swing so you get a full swing from the full down position. kit includes a larger bell crank that increases the swing. back in the day you could just buy the bell crank now they sell the kit with blades etc. i would call them and just buy the bell crank, if so inclined.....
Unread 01-26-2014, 01:17 PM   #9
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I would just properly adjust the blades. If the blades lay flat in the resting position the tip of the passenger side will always sweep over the gasket which would bug the dickens out of me...
Unread 01-26-2014, 03:07 PM   #10
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
I would just properly adjust the blades. If the blades lay flat in the resting position the tip of the passenger side will always sweep over the gasket which would bug the dickens out of me...
when installing the wipe boy bell crank you must also shorten the PS wiper arm about a inch, easy i did it on mine. if you buy the kit they supply a shorter arm for the PS with new wiper blades.
Unread 01-26-2014, 03:21 PM   #11
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info, when I swap my roll bar I will fold it down and move them. Mine lay way down when off
Unread 01-26-2014, 09:32 PM   #12
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Goob View Post
Thanks for the info, when I swap my roll bar I will fold it down and move them. Mine lay way down when off
Unless I am mistaken, ALL the YJs simply unclip by inserting like a 1/16" allen wrench or an awl into a hole on the arm. Windshield doesn't need to move to adjust them- just pop 'em off and set 'em right. An easy way to do this is to run the wipers until they are at maximum sweep and then turn off the ignition so they stay at maximum sweep. Then adjust the driver's side so it doesn't hit the gasket at the window edge and then adjust the passenger side exactly exactly parallel to the driver's side. Run the wipers to test them but they should stop at the right spot now.
Unread 01-27-2014, 06:02 AM   #13
adamcarner
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I'm not too concerned with how they sit in the off position, as long as I can see when i need them, thats all i care about. thanks The_Goob for posting a picture, thats exactly what happens with mine
Unread 01-27-2014, 12:45 PM   #14
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Unless I am mistaken, ALL the YJs simply unclip by inserting like a 1/16" allen wrench or an awl into a hole on the arm. Windshield doesn't need to move to adjust them- just pop 'em off and set 'em right. An easy way to do this is to run the wipers until they are at maximum sweep and then turn off the ignition so they stay at maximum sweep. Then adjust the driver's side so it doesn't hit the gasket at the window edge and then adjust the passenger side exactly exactly parallel to the driver's side. Run the wipers to test them but they should stop at the right spot now.
Guess I didnt think of that. I will be checking out all the internals too since in addition to the position, they sound very bad. I think my motor is weak or the linkages might need some grease
Unread 01-27-2014, 03:11 PM   #15
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:

Correct. I just use an awl. Some folks are bothered by the wiper arm being in their field of view when off, I haven;t noticed mine in years. I think if they were stolen, I wouldn't know till it started raining.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.