Windshield Wiper Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Windshield Wiper Help

Only 2 Days left to win $3,800 Jeep Parts!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention seahawks fans!!! Want to save some $$$ ??!!

Unread 01-13-2015, 10:03 PM   #1
M35A2
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Windshield Wiper Help

Did some research here, did some testing, just want a second opinion, or third, or fourth

While I was doing the Howell conversion, I tackled the windshield washer fluid into the cabin issue. Turns out that when the po painted the pig, they removed the windshield squirters and let the plumbing fall into the cowl area, what a biatch to fish out, gimmie an XJ any day!!

Well, after I sorted that issue out, I figured i'd try the wiper issue. They only work on the high setting and do not "park" I was initially thinking the switch was junk, but, if I un-plug the intermittent module, they don't work at all. When I have the module in series, you can feel it click when the position of the switch is changed. If you move the switch from off to int, the module clicks but no wipers. From int to low it clicks, but no wipers. From low to high it clicks and then the wipers move, but in the low speed.

I THINK it's the wiper motor or circuit to the motor from the module. Any pointers out there to help confirm my diagnosis?

BTW, How on earth does one change a wiper motor on one of these?

Oh yeah, since I can't figure out how to add a second vehicle in my profile, this is a 1989 YJ, 4.2, auto, A/C, hard top.

Thanks all!

Unread 01-13-2015, 10:24 PM   #2
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Im working on my wipers right now. I just ordered a control module. Plug the two plugs together
With the module removed. If it's the module, everything should work normal except the delay.
Unread 01-13-2015, 10:29 PM   #3
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Check Your Ground!!!
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club #91
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s

94 XJ FOR SALE
Luuca is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2015, 11:32 PM   #4
M35A2
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry, thought i wrote that i did the module bypass, i just said i u plugged jt. I did plug the two harnesses together, still only has low speed in the high position. Where is the ground for the wipre circuit located? It is a birdsnest under the dash!
Unread 01-13-2015, 11:36 PM   #5
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35A2 View Post
Sorry, thought i wrote that i did the module bypass, i just said i u plugged jt. I did plug the two harnesses together, still only has low speed in the high position. Where is the ground for the wipre circuit located? It is a birdsnest under the dash!
http://bit.ly/1Cigcy1

On my LJ, the wiper motor ground is spliced into the driver's side headlight ground on the grill shell. Ask me how I found out.

If you are in there at the motor, look at some of the diagrams and make a temporary ground wire to the black wire. If they work as intended, make it permanent.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club #91
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s

94 XJ FOR SALE
Luuca is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2015, 08:14 AM   #6
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35A2 View Post
They ... do not "park"
Parking is a function of a second +12v line to a switch inside the wiper motor assembly. When +12 is on that line, it continues to run the motor after the column switch is off until that internal switch goes off by the wipers getting to the park position.

Here is the wiring page PDF from the FSM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.