windshield wiper arm removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > windshield wiper arm removal

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 11-15-2008, 09:32 AM   #1
94-91
1994 YJ Wrangler 

windshield wiper arm removal

my windshield wiper arms are both looking very bad the original black paint it coming off and the shiny metal is showing. i like chrome but i dont want my windshield wipers to be chrome. i am gong to spray paint them black again but i cant figure how to remove them from the car. i have taken them off my mom's jeep grand before but these arnt the same. so i dont want to end up breaking somthing. if anyone knows how to do this please help lol

Unread 11-15-2008, 10:03 AM   #2
K4KAS
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I havent looked at how to remove them yet. But I plan to do the same. Alot of the parts houses offer a new arm which uses a different type of attachment for the wiper blade. I plan to just change out both arms instead of messing around with repainting them. I know I didnt help you much, just wanted to let you know that they do offer new arms instead of repainting the old ones.
K4KAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2008, 10:13 AM   #3
94-91
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4KAS View Post
I havent looked at how to remove them yet. But I plan to do the same. Alot of the parts houses offer a new arm which uses a different type of attachment for the wiper blade. I plan to just change out both arms instead of messing around with repainting them. I know I didnt help you much, just wanted to let you know that they do offer new arms instead of repainting the old ones.
its cool it did help lol um idk about replacing them just yet its not like they are in that bad condition just the paint and i have the paint laying around in the garage to paint it so i figured why not if i can get them off the jeep
Unread 11-15-2008, 10:21 AM   #4
menace2

There's a little tab at the bottom of the arm where it goes down over the drive post. You can push the tab with a screwdriver and wiggle the arm off. It's not easy until you've done it a few times because the spring in the arm is always pressing and trying to "angle" ('cause I can't post the other word for rooster) the wiper on the post.
menace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2008, 02:32 PM   #5
94-91
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by menace2 View Post
There's a little tab at the bottom of the arm where it goes down over the drive post. You can push the tab with a screwdriver and wiggle the arm off. It's not easy until you've done it a few times because the spring in the arm is always pressing and trying to "angle" ('cause I can't post the other word for rooster) the wiper on the post.

okay how do you get to the tab is it logged up underthere somewhere not real sure i can kinda picture how it would be. i havent look just yet its rainning here on and off so i will need the arms on for right now lol
Unread 11-15-2008, 06:27 PM   #6
menace2

I don't know if I can post pictures yet.

menace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2008, 07:06 PM   #7
94-91
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by menace2 View Post
I don't know if I can post pictures yet.

awsome i totally see it now i cant wait to take them off thanks a bunch
Unread 11-16-2008, 09:58 AM   #8
94-91
1994 YJ Wrangler 

im still having a hell of a time trying to get in there to get the clip. is there any ways to make it easier or any tricks
Unread 11-16-2008, 11:22 AM   #9
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

The correct method to remove the arm is lift the arm from the windshield, then slip an ice pick or similar thin prod into the hole that is just above the joint at the bottom of the arm. Make sure the pick is all the way thru the arm. Keep the ice pick there and wiggle the arm up and down until it slides off.

Just slide it back down onto the splines when you are re-installing.

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 06:20 PM   #10
94-91
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeepguy View Post
The correct method to remove the arm is lift the arm from the windshield, then slip an ice pick or similar thin prod into the hole that is just above the joint at the bottom of the arm. Make sure the pick is all the way thru the arm. Keep the ice pick there and wiggle the arm up and down until it slides off.

Just slide it back down onto the splines when you are re-installing.
ill try it
Unread 11-16-2008, 07:04 PM   #11
johnoutdoors
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Use a finishing nail in there, that way you can spray it as is and not have to worry about trying to put it back in to reinstall.
johnoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 05:56 AM   #12
jdixter
1999 YJ Wrangler 

On the TJ's, there is no hole on the wiper arm to insert a nail. At the base of each arm, there is a clip that slides/down. Place a flat head screw driver on the clip (under the arm, at the base) and slide it down. The wiper arm will pull right off. Very easy.
jdixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #13
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdixter View Post
On the TJ's, there is no hole on the wiper arm to insert a nail. At the base of each arm, there is a clip that slides/down. Place a flat head screw driver on the clip (under the arm, at the base) and slide it down. The wiper arm will pull right off. Very easy.
You darn TJ kids and your fancy contraptions....

My Jeep is possessed with the goal of making me lose my religion....
flcracker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #14
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If you replace the windshield wiper arms there are some that will go down to the bottom of the windshield instead of sitting up when the wipers are shut off. Maybe someone will chime in on this with the arms. I searched and couldn't find them.
Flajeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #15
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flajeeper1 View Post
If you replace the windshield wiper arms there are some that will go down to the bottom of the windshield instead of sitting up when the wipers are shut off. Maybe someone will chime in on this with the arms. I searched and couldn't find them.
That has nothing to do with the wiper arms, its the mechanism that moves it and seems to be one of those Jeep "quirks"....

My Jeep is possessed with the goal of making me lose my religion....
flcracker is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.