Windshield washer problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Windshield washer problem

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-19-2008, 03:56 PM   #1
92jeepyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Windshield washer problem

I just bought my 92 YJ and the winshield washer doesn't work. Haven't had a chance to look into the problem yet, but I am looking for some opinions. I don't hear the pump activate at all. Is there a fuse for this? If the pump is shot is it just a matter of pulling the bottle and replacing the pump underneath the bottle?

92jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2008, 07:49 PM   #2
92jeepyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

still looking for some help... please...
Unread 01-19-2008, 07:59 PM   #3
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just fixed this last Wed on mine. Please provide some details. Do you have intermittent wipers and tilt steering wheel or not--the wiper switch system is different. Do your windshield wipers work, and it's just the washer function that is broken? I might be able to talk you through troubleshooting this and at least isolating the problem, and then tearing down the steering column to get to the wiper switch if that is the problem. Several things to check with a multimeter first to narrow it down.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2008, 08:08 PM   #4
92jeepyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Great thanks! I have the intermittent wipers and the tilt steering. The wipers and everything else seems to work fine, so my thoughts of a fuse will be way off unless it has its own. So it has to be pump or switch. When I rotate the wiper signal lever control backwards to engage the juice the wipers come on, just no juice.
Unread 01-19-2008, 08:33 PM   #5
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Okay. Since you live in the Great Frozen North, I can only guess that you have checked to make sure the washer solution is not frozen in the line between your pump motor and the spouts on the hood cowl. First step is usually to check the ground, but since other functions work, it is likely okay. Ground for this circuit is inside the engine bay, small black wire to the left of the drivers side headlamp. Easy to clean, then you can screw it back on. Check for continuity between that black wire and the black wire in the connection to the washer motor. It's underneath the washer reservoir.
Assuming all this is okay, and you have someone toggle the function switch while you are holding the little motor and you don't feel the motor spin, then the problem is elsewhere in the circuit. You can check the washer motor independently by removing the reservoir, disconnecting the plug, then carefully rigging up jumper wires one for power, one for ground to the motor terminals and see if it spins.
The connector for your wiper/washer switch is to the left of the steering column under the dash. It is the connector with 7 wires, and plugs into your intermittent control box there. Turn key to on position, check voltage at terminal B which should be a pink wire on the input side of the control box. You should get 12 volts when someone toggles the washer switch. If you don't get battery voltage here, problem is likely in the washer switch.
Next step is to check voltage coming out the back side of the intermittent control unit. It should be a brown wire coming out of the "B" terminal. Check Voltage here with key "ON" and with someone toggling the switch to make the washer work. Should get 12 V here.
If the first check was good for 12 V, that implys the wiper switch is good. If the check for the intermittent control box was bad, then the problem is the control box. If of course everything is good, then it would be the motor. You have to eliminate these one at a time.
I vote for you having a bad wiper switch, the one you have to tear your steering column down to access as this tends to be the problem from people with whom I have spoken about this. Dont' worry though, I can talk you through the steering column tear down. Good luck, get back with me on your diagnostic results.

Quote:
Quote:
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Unread 01-20-2008, 05:14 AM   #6
HighCountry
1986 CJ7 

...Or you could install a auxiliary 'push button' just for the washer motor.

Bruce
HighCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2008, 04:36 PM   #7
darioc
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have to check this on my 92 as well, thanks Opihi59 for all the information.
darioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2008, 05:22 PM   #8
litel dart
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i had the same problem with mine and have dun exactly what opihi59 says to do and it is my wiper arm that is bad so can you talk me throw the steering wheel tear down plz as i have no experience of doing this before
litel dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2008, 08:42 PM   #9
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You need to start out with 2 special tools, both of which can be fabricated. One is the steering wheel puller, the other is the lockplate spring compressor. I didn't have either so made ghetto versions which worked. The lockplate spring compressor I wrote up here: Lockplate spring compressor - JeepForum.com
To start the tear down, remember to take photos for reference, put parts in labeled ziplok bags etc. Disconnect the neg lead from your battery first. The round part in the middle of your steering wheel you push on to make the horn blow--that pulls off, just get your fingers behind it and work it off. Then remove the nut in the center that holds the steering wheel to the steering shaft. Remove 3 phillips head screws and the parts they hold in place and set aside. You will see there are 2 threaded holes I seem to recall they were threaded 5/16 coarse. These are for your puller. I put a metal bar across the steering shaft which had 2 holes drilled to match the above mentioned holes, tightened them down and popped steering wheel loose. Now it is time for the lockplate spring compressor. This compresses the spring under the lockplate so you can then remove the clip which holds the lockplate onto the steering shaft. Pick the snap ring out of the groove and remove it and the lockplate and spring. There is a black plastic cover you will see, pull this off. You will see the turn signal mechanism under this, 3 phillips head screws to remove, also the screw holding in the turnsignal stem connector, you can also unscrew the hazard button as well at this point Mine had a phillips head screw holding it in. At this point, it is helpful to pull off the part of the dash covering your speedo/tach. 6 screws hold this on. You can then remove the steering column support bracket 2 lg bolts hold it to the dash, and the 4 bolts that hold it to the column. There is a plastic sleeve through which the wiring from both the turn signal switch and the wiper switch runs, you can open that and expose the wires, disconnect both the wiper switch connection and the turnsignal switch connection under the dash. This will allow you to get some slack in the wiring to allow you to pull the turnsignal switch up and out of your way to work more on the wiper switch.
There is a white plastic fixture immediately inferior to the lock cylinder, this is the connection to the buzzer that buzzes if you leave your key in the ignition. You can see this part in this photo:

It is held in place by a spring clip you can release by pushing a small screwdriver underneath it while you pull this piece out, or you can push a straightened paperclip under it to compress the spring clip while pulling it out. Now you can remove the lock cylinder. There are 2 mechanisms that hold this in place you have to figure out which one you have. One style is to remove a screw, the other is to compress a clip with a screwdriver while you turn the key to the on position. Photo of the clip style here, tip of screwdriver shows the clip you push in:

You can then pull out the ignition lock cylinder, may be a bit tight but it pulls out.
You will now have access to 3 Torx head screws, remove these, they will allow you to pull the steering column housing loose. You may also remove the turnsignal stem from the wiper switch by pulling it straight out. There are several things to notice now--the activation system for the high beam switch, there is a rod that runs along the left side of the column that is activated by the switch, watch how those pieces fit so you can put it all back together. The wiper switch at this point hinges into the steering column housing, you can push the center pin through from the front of the housing, and then work the switch itself out. The fit is tight and it takes a few manipulations to get it loose. There is not a lot of space inside the steering column to pull the wiper switch connector through, so tape it alongside the wires to pull it up and out. Feed the new one in the same way. Assembly is of course the reverse of disassembly. I didn't take many photos since I found so many links and tech writeups through the forum, but can search them out again if needed. They're on another computer though.
The main problem I encountered was having to do the job X2. The new switch I got from Quadratec for about $53 had been incorrectly assembled, didn't notice the defect until I was re assembled, put the turnsignal stem back in, toggled the switch and found that there was no spring. Tore it down and had to get part locally which cost me $119. I sent part back to Quadratec for refund, I'll see how that works out but it was a pain, and an expensive problem for me.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 01-21-2008, 04:18 PM   #10
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.epiccomputer.com/dale/jee...tilt/tilt.html

Try this link, has many pictures and a step-by-step. I found this helpful when I did mine, but deleted the link and couldn't find it again until someone else posted it in a different thread.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 01-22-2008, 03:06 PM   #11
litel dart
1994 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for the help i will get rite on it wen i get time
litel dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2008, 04:23 PM   #12
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Generally you'll find that you'll need to replace the pump. To do this you'll need to take both bottles off the fender, then you'll see the pump at the bottom of the washer tank. It could be the connector, but most likely it's the pump.

The replacement pumps are a bit tricky to put in. You can install them in one of two ways:
  1. If you have a hole saw, you cut a hole the diameter of the supplied plug, then you can hold the nut in place while you turn the pump to catch the nut to the pump - you can tighten it this way or use an extension & socket.
  2. Hold the bottle with the pump hole pointed up, put the nut into the socket (you need a deep socket) and put this onto the threaded part of the pump & screw it on - you might need to put some padding (paper or something) into the socket to keep the nut from falling into the socket).

The nut I'm talking about also contains the screen, and is about 1" high. That's why you need to use a deep socket.

Before you do all the above, you can test the wires to see if you get power to them when you turn the washer on - if yes, replace the pump & if no, you need to find the break in the wire & hopefully it's not in the column.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 12:08 PM   #13
jamesmarshall5

mines acting really weard my washer wont work but when i unplug the pump and push the washer buttion the wind shield wipers go on for three swipes but when i reconnect it and the button dosent do annything and i checked the pump strate to my battery and the pump works great
jamesmarshall5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.