Windshield replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Windshield replacement

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 01-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #1
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Windshield replacement

You guess it! My windshield has a crack in it and I need to replace it. Is this difficult to do? Is it a two man job? I tried to search for a write-up but came up with nothing. Anyone have a link?

Thanks.

CBinDC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
mark1305

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Without doing a whole write-up (since I didn't take pics when I did it) I can give the following brief pointers: My frame was rusted beyond repair and a crack appeared. Bought the kit from Q-Tech. Frame arrives in black primer and is a halfway decent quality fit compared to OEM. To hedge my bets against future rust fromthe inside out I plugged all holes and poured in a pint of black Rustoleum and rolled the frame around and around slowly. (Also discovered some openings I missed plugging.) Let the inside coating cure for about a week until nothing oozed out any more. Note: keep frame oriented so the movable plates inside with nutserts can be moved several times a day to keep them free.

Glass and gasket fit and worked OK. BUT, and this a big BUT... The Hi Viscosity adhesive supplied with the kit is so thick it broke two decent quality caulk guns and I could not get it laid down fast enough before it started to dry.

It takes one and a half tubes - I picked up some medium viz adhesive from the local auto parts store on the advice of an employee who had doen several windshields with it. He was right. It will stick to anything. It also goes on quickly enough with a pro quality manual caulk gun. Problem solved second time around. For an extra $50 worth of adhesive. Use tape to position and hold the gasket during the whole process. And most important - working with a new frame and being able to lay it down flat is the only way I would recommend doing this (or taking the old frame off to lay flat).
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I got a qoute for $150 for glass and all gaskets installed by the local windshield shop. The glass itself was $100 online so I figured $50 for them to install was cheap labor. JMHO
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 05:13 PM   #4
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno72
I got a qoute for $150 for glass and all gaskets installed by the local windshield shop. The glass itself was $100 online so I figured $50 for them to install was cheap labor. JMHO
Yeah I think this is the direction I'm leaning with this. It's pretty cold out and it seems like a hassle to remove the frame. For only $50 more I'd do it. Dd they reinstall your rear view mirror as well?
CBinDC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I did it myself a little over a year ago... a 2nd person would have made it go a little smoother, but not a deal-breaker. Just take your time. just like a quality paint job, the most labor-intensive portion (and the most important for a good job) is the cleaning/prep. make sure you clean out the channel well, a good wire brush (either by hand or in a drill) to thoroughly clean any leftover adhesive, loose paint and rust. a good etching primer and a couple quick light coats of paint. let dry well then install with the appropriate adhesive.

While letting the adhesive set, some people have luck with just some masking tape in a few spots around the edges for a day or so while they use the vehicle more or less normally... I used a couple styrofoam blocks and a couple ratchet straps completely around the windshield frame to "clamp" the windshield in place overnight (well, about 15-16 hours from the afternoon when I finished until the next morning.) I didn't drive it at all in that time just to be sure the urethane was cured sufficiently. I didn't want it to shift any mid-cure. That stuff's a bear to remove so I wanted to make sure it was set properly.
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #6
fiandjos95
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I did mine with the kit from quadratec. It comes with 2 tubes of windsheild glue, all the rubber, the frame and the glass for about 315. It fit perfectly all you need are new hinges if yours bad. The only thing i would suggest is to rent an electric caulk gun. I used a manual and broke 2 in the process and my forearms were dead after.
fiandjos95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #7
bcusstc
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I install autoglass for a living, my advice to you is spend the extra money and have a local installer take care of you. If you have the ability to watch, i recommend doing so for future reference. Also, make sure that whoever does so primes all scratches they make, failure to do so will result in rust.
bcusstc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #8
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcusstc View Post
I install autoglass for a living, my advice to you is spend the extra money and have a local installer take care of you. If you have the ability to watch, i recommend doing so for future reference. Also, make sure that whoever does so primes all scratches they make, failure to do so will result in rust.

Best recommendation so far !
Unread 01-29-2013, 06:44 PM   #9
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Actually, I DO recommend this as well if you're looking for a standard windshield replacement. Places like Safelite as well as smaller independent shops do a great job at a reasonable price.

If you have a shop really close though, I might recommend YOU remove your old windshield so you can thoroughly inspect the frame (and clean, paint or repair as needed) if you're planning on reusing your original frame. Most shops won't do frame repairs. Some might do the install and not say anything, then you're stuck with a frame still rotting under the adhesive & gaskets... or they'll get the windshield out and then see damage and say you gotta get this fixed first.

I did my own install because I went with a non-standard windshield and don't think any glass shop would have installed it for me. I went with a polycarbonate windshield from PolyShield because I was sick of constantly having the windshield replaced (4 "normal" windshields in a little over 2 1/2 years).

The Monday following my install I was driving to work and out of the corner of my eye I see this huge rock at least the size of a baseball flying towards me then BANG, slams the windshield about 2" down from the frame on the passenger side... left a couple nicks and that was it. The following weekend I got the buffer out and went to work on it... buffed most of the mark out except for one tiny nick that's not even visible unless you're looking straight at it. Now if that was a normal windshield, I would've been replacing it AGAIN rather than spending 30 min with the buffer and the nickel-oxide gel. been almost 2 years now and still going good on the polycarbonate.

anyway, for a regular windshield, yes a shop is the best way to go... but it's not a horrible experience to do on your own if you take your time.
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #10
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

When I did mine it went pretty smooth.

First I tried removing the windshield with a wire. That didn't not work well for me so then I tried prying it up. That worked just a little better than the wire. I found that the bfh ultimately worked best, making small pieces of the windshield for easy disposal. After most of it was all over the hood and inside the tub, I just had the lip that was still glued down. I used a scraper to get most of the glue and remaining glass off. Using the scraper as a chisel, little at a time. After some time, It still was not clean completely, so I used a little heat to burn off the remaining crap.

It got a lot easier to install the new glass. I called the shop down the road and had them do it as I watched. Guy was very cool, didn't even ask about the original glass.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2013, 05:59 AM   #11
tdewit
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Could not agree more!
tdewit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #12
hurricanebilly
1983 CJ7 

I was wondering if I could cut the rubber that goes around my windshield as it is to big . I could order another I know . but lost shipping box and labels . this jeep is only used as a beach jeep . and a few miles a day at best .
Could I cut seal to fit and use some sealant to remake the seam ?
hurricanebilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 04:24 PM   #13
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

You can do whatever you want to do as its your jeep. As long as you seal it, I don't see anything wrong though
Unread 07-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #14
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

It was fun but a total PIA to learn and yes the caulk gun needs to be heavy duty. If I had it to do again call a pro to install mine leaks real bad. But it was fun and my thumbs hurt for weeks.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #15
hurricanebilly
1983 CJ7 

Thanks guys .
This jeep only has bikini top .so I am going to give a shot . rt hanks again.
hurricanebilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.