windshield not folding back after cowl seal install - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > windshield not folding back after cowl seal install

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-29-2013, 05:02 PM   #16
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
What the heck is going on here. If it don't work get a bigger hammer. This is a window!

You have a badly made seal. You should not have that problem. Do not force it. The seal should only compress a little.

Get your money back and get a different seal from someone else. I know time has value, but do it right.

When you order your new seal make sure it is not the same brand.

EDIT: I see your problem. Your new seal is not trimmed around your windshield hinge. That is hopefully why it is to tight. Do not force it, trim it.
I've done a few of these with various gaskets. They're all a headache trying to install (I'd be concerned if it folded back easy). Once it takes a set ...yes, it will be easy to fold back, but on a new gasket they're anything but easy.

Also, if he trims a seal, why not just leave the old one in? Yes, it'll be a bit stiffer to fold down the first time, but if you trim it, you're begging for a leak at the hinge locations.

This is a picture of mine just before folding the windshield up. Yes, pulling it back far enough to start the bolts was difficult (very difficult), but I'd rather fight it once and be done in lieu of going through the effort to end up with a leak and have to do it again.

gasket.jpg

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #17
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What the heck is going on here. If it don't work get a bigger hammer. This is a window!

You have a badly made seal. You should not have that problem. Do not force it. The seal should only compress a little.

Get your money back and get a different seal from someone else. I know time has value, but do it right.

When you order your new seal make sure it is not the same brand.

EDIT: I see your problem. Your new seal is not trimmed around your windshield hinge. That is hopefully why it is to tight. Do not force it, trim it.
I too would be concerned if the seal was easy to make the first time. After repeated foldings of the windshield it gets easier, but the first time or two it was tight. A new seal compared to a 25 year old seal should be hard as hell to get to fit the first time.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 07:09 PM   #18
Aduffy32
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the input everyone. I really liked the idea of buying longer bolts and working it back over time. My concern is just the bottom lip sticking out too far.
Unread 08-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #19
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I am sorry I was not more clear. According to the picture you have the seal under your hinge.
The seal is suppose to be trimmed out under and/or around the hinge.

No seal behind the hinge.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #20
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I am sorry I was not more clear. According to the picture you have the seal under your hinge.
The seal is suppose to be trimmed out under and/or around the hinge.

No seal behind the hinge.
Why would you trim a seal from behind the hinge? Do you seriously think that water isn't going to make it there?
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
Unread 08-30-2013, 06:30 AM   #21
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantYJ View Post
Why would you trim a seal from behind the hinge? Do you seriously think that water isn't going to make it there?
Go look at your rig. The seal is trimmed around your hinge.
If the seal is under your hinge you will have many more problems.

I never said under the windshield, just behind the hinge.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 06:57 AM   #22
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

OK, can we end this now? Here's what you do, BUY THIS: http://www.jeep4x4center.com/cowl-ru...-55009127.html and your problems are over.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #23
jaycal3
Web Wheeler
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject View Post
OK, can we end this now? Here's what you do, BUY THIS: http://www.jeep4x4center.com/cowl-ru...-55009127.html and your problems are over.
As stated in post #1, that IS the seal he purchased... the issue with these seals is that they tend to bulge out from the body when screwed in at the predetermined spots... And yes, its new so the windshield will have to be pulled back slightly to compress the seal. Pull back slightly with even pressure and take care not to bully it into place. It should be a tight squeeze.

Do your part for Leukemia research - help find a cure.
http://mskcc.convio.net/goto/Jay_Calabrese
KCCO
jaycal3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #24
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Go look at your rig. The seal is trimmed around your hinge.
If the seal is under your hinge you will have many more problems.

I never said under the windshield, just behind the hinge.
I didn't say under the hinge either and I'm pretty sure I know more about my Jeep than you do pasinbuy.

I'm simply saying that you shouldn't start hacking on a new moulded gasket because it doesn't flop into place without effort. It's a compression seal. In order to function properly it needs to ...wait for it ...C O M P R E S S. This is a gasket that's made for this specific application. If you want to whittle on yours, have at it, but don't pass this off as the "correct" method of replacement to people looking for assistance.

Would you "trim" up a head gasket or valve cover gasket? (I'm hoping that you answer is "Of course not!" ...if it isn't, you might want to refrain from posting more than questions.)
Unread 11-07-2013, 04:18 AM   #25
bmedeiros678
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have installed more than a few of these and here is what I have learned. It depends where the gasket came from. Some gaskets were hard rubber and some were soft. Soft install was no problem while the hard gasket was a major pain and needed a lot of adjustment.
bmedeiros678 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.