windshield not folding back after cowl seal install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > windshield not folding back after cowl seal install

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-28-2013, 10:55 PM   #1
Aduffy32
1998 TJ Wrangler 

windshield not folding back after cowl seal install

HELP! My windshield is not hold back far enough for me to bolt the roll bar back on! I am out of ideas or what to do. I attached a picture of the gap on the bottom of the seal. Is the bottom supposed to be completely flush with the windshield? I am out of ideas! I purchased the seal from Morris 4x4

photo-2.jpg   photo-1.jpg  
Unread 08-28-2013, 11:03 PM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

There is an overhang of the lower seal but should seat against the body. I have a little sliver of a gap in mine looks fine.

To get the windshield back to its original angle you have to a few things. The spreader bars have a long bolt that can be used to draw it back. If it won't move nicely you can use some ratchet straps to draw it back using the roll bar main beam as an anchor.

If you can get the spreader bar bolts started you can tighten it up till it quits let it set over night and try some more in the morning. If it still won't go buy a package of the straps and use some blankets to protect the paint and get to rigging it up and ratchet it back along with the spreader bar bolts.

It will definitely piss you off at first but all is good it will come back to where it belongs. Play some hard rock and have a few beers your YJ will love it and go back to normal real fast.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 11:40 PM   #3
Aduffy32
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ah man. I thought it was an easier job than I thought. Thank you for the tip. Where should I wrap the ratchet strap too? Around the middle roll bar then around the corner of the windshield?
Unread 08-29-2013, 04:51 AM   #4
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i would pull straight back, not at an angle.
Unread 08-29-2013, 05:45 AM   #5
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My new gasket was also pretty tight, so it was a two man job. One presses on the windshield frame while the other starts the bolts.
Unread 08-29-2013, 06:52 AM   #6
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

A ratchet strap, around the top roll bar, will help draw it in. Be gentle so you don't twist the windshield. Just a couple clicks of taught, then let it sit overnight so the pressure compresses the new seal. By morning it should be much easier to bolt everything together.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 07:19 AM   #7
jbrown73
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject View Post
A ratchet strap, around the top roll bar, will help draw it in. Be gentle so you don't twist the windshield. Just a couple clicks of taught, then let it sit overnight so the pressure compresses the new seal. By morning it should be much easier to bolt everything together.
x2. This worked for mine as my roll cage mod would not allow the use of the spreader bar bolts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject View Post
The only thing I can say is to close your eyes. Seriously. If you close your eyes and pay attention to your finger tips, you'll be able to feel the nuts better and manipulate them easier.
jbrown73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 08:19 AM   #8
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Your best option is to get some help. Preferably a couple of good sized fellas. It's possible to do it by yourself (I've done it), but you'll be saying things that would make a sailor blush and it'll take forever.

I do recommend hosing the gasket down with silicone spray though. It's good for the gasket and makes the job easier.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 08:38 AM   #9
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

My only advice is to be careful and watch the hinges. I was trying to put my windshield back up after pulling the dash and it wouldnt come back all the way due to some wiring that was run through for aux lights by the PO. I bent the hinge on the drivers side so the windshield didnt sit flush on the cowl seal. Even after replacing that hinge it sits up a bit higher. Mine bent a lot easier than I thought it would.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 10:06 AM   #10
JMAC90YJ

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I did mine last year and had the same issue, I started with longer bolts in the corners and drew it back a little at a time until I got the spreader bars where I needed them. hope this helps.
Unread 08-29-2013, 02:07 PM   #11
CB10101
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Has anyone tried throwing the seals in the clothes dryer for a couple minutes to make them warm and soft like gummy bears that have been in your pocket all day?
CB10101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #12
jaycal3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

My seal has the same gap as yours but also has a bit of a gap up top... I screwed it in at all points using the predrilled holes in the seal. I replaced it last weekend and actually dropped the windshield twice thinking I could get it closer to the body in the front of the windshield but to no avail. I improvised since I did the job alone and used a boat/trailer strap ... It functioned as a wratchet strap.

KCCO
jaycal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #13
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

2 man job when we replaced the ws frame and cowl seal.... I pulled it back by hand and my son ran the bolts in...

My Jeep is possessed with the goal of making me lose my religion....
flcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #14
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

What the heck is going on here. If it don't work get a bigger hammer. This is a window!

You have a badly made seal. You should not have that problem. Do not force it. The seal should only compress a little.

Get your money back and get a different seal from someone else. I know time has value, but do it right.

When you order your new seal make sure it is not the same brand.

EDIT: I see your problem. Your new seal is not trimmed around your windshield hinge. That is hopefully why it is to tight. Do not force it, trim it.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #15
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB10101 View Post
Has anyone tried throwing the seals in the clothes dryer for a couple minutes to make them warm and soft like gummy bears that have been in your pocket all day?
I wouldn't want to risk it. Silicone spray helps a lot.

Edit (because I didn't elaborate)... When it's heated up, it'll be more pliable, but it's still going to hang like crazy and you'll end up bulging the gasket. Silicone spray will let it slide where it needs to go and won't hurt the gasket (If you don't have a decent coat of wax on your Jeep, try to keep the silicone off the paint. It won't hurt it, but you'll have shiny spots).
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.