Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

windshield hinge bolts?

4K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  V8orBUST 
#1 ·
Im trying to remove my windshield hinge bolts and inside the body there is a bunch of foam stuff that I can not get through. anyone have experience? also a little rant: I HATE TORX BOLTS! :brickwall
every screw stripped out with the torx...

#3 ·
I recently had to do this. I pulled the glove box and tach to gain access, basically all the instruments out. I was able to scrape that crap off in order to get sockets on the side nuts and box wrench on the front nuts.
Pax side was easier access that drivers side. Though I did have to drill one out, torx stripped.

#5 ·
Any bolt will work. The problem of the internal nut is that it is glued in place by the putty inside, and that also acts as a water barrier to keep leaks from occuring at the bolt hole.

When I had my dash off ( or you can loosen yours and pull forward) I applied heat to the outside of the bolt area and then it went to soft gel and was able to put a wrench on and pull the bolt/nut. Then reheat and putty knife off the junk inside. When reinstalling bolts, use RTV as a gasket behind the windshield bracket, and then liberally apply to bolt, pul nut on in rear, lots of rtv in rear and tighted, then spread rtv around in rear to get a good seal.

#6 ·
If you stripped out the lower half bolts, just take a small flathead screwdriver and work your hand up behind the dash to the nuts and scrape that rubber crap off using the screwdriver against your thumb. It's really not that hard to reach them. I have thick forearms and got in there no problem. To get them out, get a buddy to hold a wrench on the nuts while you use an extractor like Craftsman Easy Outs. A good investment for anyone dealing with stubborn fasteners like the pos torx, is an impact driver that you strike with a hammer to make it seat and turn with each hit.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00947641000P

#8 ·
i had an issue with mine also. PO painted over them instead of taking them out and painting the brackets. (Thanks bud.) I took a box cutter and cut the paint around the bolts, blasted them with penetrating oil for a few days and then used my impact gun. Stripped a few and got maybe half of them out. Ended up drilling a few out.

From what ive read alot of people use allen wrench bolts to replace them. Its up to you really.

#9 ·
I had to completely replace my windshield frame. I just decided to replace the hinges as well since they were seized. I had to drill out the head of those stupid torx bolts and then I just used a BFH and a punch and pounded them out. I had to pull the dash out too in order to get to them. When I replaced the hinges I had to readjust the door hinges as well. I also had to drill out those torx bolts too, and use an easy out to remove them. It makes for a long weekend. (actually it took me several weekends.)

#16 ·
If you're good with a drill, I just drilled all mine out and ran a tap through them all. Then replaced with bolts. As far as the nuts on the back, some of them just fell off from time when I drilled the torx bolts out. Pain in the butt though, seeing as it took forever.

#17 ·
So i need to drill all but 1 bolt. im so glad I am replacing the hinges, they are gona be destroyed. the only reason im doing this is because the passanger side hinge broke. too much to do, my 5.0 swap has been #1 priority since my alternate vehicle got totaled. grrr distracted people while speeding downtown.

and btw all that was said here was helpful in different ways

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.