windshield bolt, last question, I promise! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > windshield bolt, last question, I promise!

Halloween Savings to die for!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 09-10-2001, 08:05 AM   #1
OhYeah

windshield bolt, last question, I promise!

Hey there,

OK, I hate to keep taking up valuable space with these Monkey doo questions but help me out here if you can.

After lots of advice about grinders, bits, easy outs, etc. I was able to finally remove my windshield hinges, I had problems with the 2 bolts on the top of the right hinge in the front. Inside the windshield frame there is a small plate which the bolts screw into. It fell down inside and is not retrievable. So the holes are now to big for the bolts and there is no access to the inside to try and put a nut on them. Is there any way to fill these holes with something that will allow me to screw the bolts in firmly? Like bondo or some sort of metal filler that can be drilled then tapped?

Thanks again,

O_O_O_O
o-I_ ___ _ I-o
(O IIIII O)
[_ O__O _ ]
{{}}}--o-{{{}}
{{}}} {{{}}
OoOoOoooOOOoOOO
(oO0O(oOo)0o0O0o()o
OhYeah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2001, 01:16 PM   #2
RodeoRob

Quote:
Originally posted by OhYeah:
Is there any way to fill these holes with something that will allow me to screw the bolts in firmly? Like bondo or some sort of metal filler that can be drilled then tapped?
Don't know if there is a better solution to your problem, but to answer your question... you can get metal putty (Magnum steel, JB Weld) that you could put in there and are fully drillable/tapable/grindable.
-Rob
1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo - SAS'd and SOA'd, sitting on 36x12.50 TSLs, D44 front, 14bff rear, locked by OX and Detriot, suspensions by Jeep and Chevy, high steer conversion, 5.13 gearing and Teralow in the case.
robgorrell@yahoo.com - website
RodeoRob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2011, 11:46 PM   #3
nightmoves
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Unread 08-24-2011, 04:56 AM   #4
Rynoman27
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Helicoil?
Unread 08-24-2011, 07:14 AM   #5
tdewit
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhYeah View Post
It fell down inside and is not retrievable. So the holes are now to big for the bolts and there is no access to the inside to try and put a nut on them. Is there any way to fill these holes with something that will allow me to screw the bolts in firmly? Like bondo or some sort of metal filler that can be drilled then tapped?
Thanks again,
Loosen the dash and move it backwards a few inches, then you have access to the nuts. Do it right the first time. Remomber to disconnect the battery before doing that.

Respectfully, I cannot see metal putty or a helicoil working on sheet metal.
tdewit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2011, 07:59 AM   #6
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem.

Lower your windshield frame to get your fingers back there. There are access holes. Retrieve the bolt bracket and once you get one bolt into the bolt bracket the others are pretty easy.

It is definitely a PIA but the only real solution.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2011, 09:22 AM   #7
LordEnki
2006 WK 

The bracket you've lost is gone. Lol
Use a rivnut. People call em different things though. You can get 5/16 18 ones at fastenal or another bolt supply place. You need a tool like a rivet gun to install them or find the thread about installing them into the frame rails for the tcase skid and use a bolt and nut combo similar to the one shown in that thread. Works awesome. Just takes a bit to get them installed. Its basically a threaded aluminum or steel insert that rivets in. Ill try and get a pic of what I just did. Don't mess around with other crap.
LordEnki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #8
LordEnki
2006 WK 

Here's the thread for the "tool". Just make yours with smaller hardware. 5/16 18 1 and 1/2 bolt, grade 8, a nut just a bit larger, 2 5/16 flat washers and a star washer. You'll need like 10 star washers. Lol

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/nu...nstall-390635/

Pm me with your email and ill send the pics I have on my cell of whta they look like installed. Just to get an idea.
LordEnki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2011, 01:16 PM   #9
Jims-87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

You guys realize the original thread is almost 10 years old! Still good info.
1987 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36, HEI, Custom Sound bar, Hardtop/Sun-rider/bikini tops, 2" Lift, 1/2" Boomerangs, 1" Body & MM Lift. 32x11.5x15 Copper STT's on Black Rock 950 Lobos w/4" backspacing, Still need Front Bumper and Seats.

My build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-very-slow-87-yj-build-thread-1137667/[/url]
Jims-87YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2011, 01:39 PM   #10
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If the windshield frame can be removed, that plate (looks like a Z with 2 tapped holes in it - 5/16NC) can be shaken out, then using a magnet-head probe/retriever, you can slide it back to where it belongs. Once you see it through the big holes in the windshield frame, put a long 5/16" NC bolt into one of the tapped holes - this will be used as a handle. Now, get some body panel adhesive ready (quick dry epoxy will work but it isn't as flexible as panel adhesive) squeeze some of the adhesive into each big hole (try not to get much on the bolt & threads - if you're using epoxy don't get any on the threads, you might want to put it on the plate first and the position it), now pull the plate into position using the long 5/16" bolt and using a short bolt and washer in the other hole, tighten the plate into place and let the adhesive dry.

If that Z plate is lost or irretrievable, you can make one out of a piece of flat 1/4" mild steel bar. Use the hinge as a template for the bolt spacing. I use this method to make plates for the lower bolts to replace those that normally spin when you try to remove them.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.