Windshield ?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Windshield ??

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-30-2011, 05:59 PM   #1
TJ-chopper
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Windshield ??

I have a 1989 YJ and the windshield on it is like a bubble it bubbles out about 3/4 of an inch. You can tell it was made this way but I have never seen another like it . Has anyone else seen one like this and who made them and WHY anybody KNOW. Just curious Thanks

1997 TJ 4.0, Automatic with a 4" Zone lift and BDS adjustable control arms, AA transfercase shifter relocator bracket, Real Flat fender, custom front bumper with Stinger and 8000 lb winch. custom rear bumper with swingout tire carrier, Viking soft top, 4.10 gears, SYE and Tatton DS , Goodyear Dura Trac 33x12.50-15 and still working on it.
TJ-chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2011, 06:10 PM   #2
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It's delaminating, windshields are 3 layers two glass and one of safety film. Opps misread the op question. It should be flat unless it is not glass???
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2011, 06:20 PM   #3
TJ-chopper
1997 TJ Wrangler 

NO it's not the lamination coming apart it was made this way. An yes it is glass not lexan or any other material.
1997 TJ 4.0, Automatic with a 4" Zone lift and BDS adjustable control arms, AA transfercase shifter relocator bracket, Real Flat fender, custom front bumper with Stinger and 8000 lb winch. custom rear bumper with swingout tire carrier, Viking soft top, 4.10 gears, SYE and Tatton DS , Goodyear Dura Trac 33x12.50-15 and still working on it.
Unread 10-31-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
TJ-chopper
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You know I just love this forum !!!!! You ask a question and get VERY LITTLE RESPONSE, I believe it is because most people other here haven't a clue to most things jeep, except what hey read that other people post, then just repete it. But At least thanks to the ones that read and try to answer a question, thank you
Unread 10-31-2011, 11:43 AM   #5
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Picture?

most glass has some sort of manufactuer info in the corner.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2011, 11:50 AM   #6
jmmorgan82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzbear View Post
You know I just love this forum !!!!! You ask a question and get VERY LITTLE RESPONSE, I believe it is because most people other here haven't a clue to most things jeep, except what hey read that other people post, then just repete it. But At least thanks to the ones that read and try to answer a question, thank you
With an attitude like that I don't see how you are going to get much help. Have a little patience and somebody will come along to answer your question. Not everybody on here is an auto glass expert who can chime in. Also, like jbolty said, post up a picture and we may be able to get you some more information.
jmmorgan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2011, 11:52 AM   #7
Virjeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Virjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2011, 12:30 PM   #8
tdewit
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You know I just love this forum !!!!! You ask a question and get VERY LITTLE RESPONSE
You should find another forum where you get 24/7 support.

Quote:
I believe it is because most people other here haven't a clue to most things jeep, except what hey read that other people post, then just repete it.
You should learn how to spell while waiting for the JF members to help you out.

Quote:
But At least thanks to the ones that read and try to answer a question, thank you
I don't think with your attitude you are that welcome anymore.
tdewit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2011, 01:15 PM   #9
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

mine is bowed in my fiberglass winshield frame. also, if you have any rust on your windshield frame weather on the surface or not it can cause the glass to warp. had this happen to one of mine.
Unread 10-31-2011, 01:55 PM   #10
Jax89Jeeper
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzbear
I am always glad to help, but when a question is posted that I am not sure exactly what the person is describing and they fail to post any pics, chances are I won't waste my time trying to find out so I can help. If you really want a lot of answers with a strange, not very descriptive question, post a pic. Most of us have more than just a clue about Jeeps and some of us have experience and traning as auto mechanics. Auto glass is a completely different field that most who tool around with Jeeps never even touch.

Your option now is to call a glass shop, I think you have pushed away any help you may find here.
Jax89Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2011, 02:56 PM   #11
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Actually Im curious. Can you post a pic? They are right about keeping patience and remember that the people here help because they want to and like to share and help other jeepers not because they have too. Post a pic please.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2011, 04:00 PM   #12
ziebartrob
1993 YJ Wrangler 

WOW, You have access to a free forum to get help and you respond like that! As said above, not the best way to get help, but Im feelin froggy so.........I have been in the auto glass biz for better than 15yrs and have never run across a curved YJ w/s. As said before it is 2 layers of glass and a PVB (poly vinyl buterol) layer in between. Sometimes delamination does give the illusion of a bowed w/s. Occording to you this is not the case, so you must have some type of custom set up which will def require pics for me to help you out. A little respect goes a long way as well.
There are guys on here with a HUGE amount of knowledge, but talking to us like a bunch of b*****s wont get you a lot of help.
Unread 10-31-2011, 07:03 PM   #13
Jeepfan1
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzbear View Post
a
7491375.jpg  
Jeepfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2011, 07:40 PM   #14
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Guy since you say the lamination is not the problem then. Here is a real stupid thought. Find out who installed the glass and ask them what is up. With just what you posted I gave you my best uneducated guess. Maybe it a second or third from the factory still meet safety a clarity standards. Just a minor flaw. If it bugs you then go down to a windshield shop and have another one installed.

But a picture showing the rest of us would be great to see what you are seeing.

Remember a picture is worth a 1000 words. so if you post 3 picture you have spoken ( wrote ) 3000 words.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2011, 11:31 AM   #15
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

In reality we should all be a little quicker when answering questions......after all we are paid to do this. Right?
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.