Windsheild Frame Project Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Windsheild Frame Project Question

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 04-16-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
jeepyjpsu
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Windsheild Frame Project Question

So as with anything I do, everything is going smoothly in my windsheild frame replacement project until I notice the 2 bolts from the hinges to the windshield frame are snapped off inside the frame on the drivers side. My dad and I tried drilling and using a easy out with no luck. Eventually drilled completely through one of the bolts. So my question is, what should I do to a) get them out and b) ensure the new bolts I got will go into and hold the windshield frame to the hinge? My dad's suggestion was to just drill them out and then retap the piece the bolts go into. Any other suggestions? The windshield goes in tomorrow and its currently sitting in the garage in paint and will be clear coated after the glass is in. Once the project is done I will be posting up some pictures of the project and the frame its replacing. Thanks.

2011 FZ6R- a new challenge
SOLD '98 Camaro SS- cam, exhaust, Nitto 555R
We Are Penn State
jeepyjpsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 12:56 AM   #2
GRYDE001
2008 JK Wrangler 

drilling and retapping sounds like the best idea to me. be careful not to break the tap off. I have to do the windshield frame job soon too....I have rust on the drivers side of mine.
GRYDE001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 01:15 AM   #3
lclark2074
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ithink that your best bet is drill out and retap with a heilecoil tap so you can put the same size bolt back in the windsheld frame
Unread 04-17-2010, 06:26 AM   #4
Blstr88
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lclark2074 View Post
Ithink that your best bet is drill out and retap with a heilecoil tap so you can put the same size bolt back in the windsheld frame
x2
Blstr88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 08:23 PM   #5
jeepyjpsu
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The frame "resto" hasn't been bad. I got the frame in a trade with my cousin for some tires I had that he needed for his cobra, and I got the paint from paintscratch.com. Neighbor sandblasted it for free and then I painted it in the garage. By no means is it perfect, but it works for me. Its gonna get scratched and dented anyhow. Tomorrow the clear goes on and the project is done except for the tapping. That will wait till next weekend.
We Are Penn State
Unread 04-17-2010, 08:29 PM   #6
jeepyjpsu
1994 YJ Wrangler 

lclark2074any idea where I can get the heilecoil stuff? I'm not looking to spend a ton for something I would rarely use. I may just head down to the local garage and see if they have any ideas. I get to googling it later, but if you know a link would be great.
We Are Penn State
Unread 04-17-2010, 08:41 PM   #7
TDHofstetter

Helicoils can be bought in durn near any car-parts shop. There's not much to 'em, just a specially-sized drill bit, a specially-ground threading tap, a little driver tool to turn 'em into place, and a little packet of helicoils themselves (which look a lot like tightly wound compression springs). You can put the whole kit inside an empty cigarette pack & have room left for two BIC lighters. Twenty bucks should do it easily.
TDHofstetter is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.