Windsheild Frame Bolts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Windsheild Frame Bolts

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 11-04-2011, 08:03 AM   #1
clush
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Windsheild Frame Bolts

Hey Guys,

I have my windsheild frame off, getting new glass plus I had to fix some rust issues. My problem is that on the drivers side front part of the windsheild - the part behind the sheet metal that the windsheild frame bolts thread into broke off and is rattling around inside there. I figured I will just have to somehow fish it up there and then get a bolt started........but I thought since this forum is such an excellent resource I would see if anyone has encountered this and/or see what workarounds folks might know about. I am going home tonight to herc the frame (rather than paint) and the glass guy will be putting glass in for me next week. Then I can finally start buttoning all this body work up.

Thanks
Clint

clush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Here is a bump for you. I haven't done mine yet, but I know there are many on the forum that have.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
nembudonna
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know of any way or have I ever read on here a way. Good Luck.
nembudonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

You should be able to shake it out through the area where the wiper connection rods fit at the bottom of the frame. Put that piece back (using a large screw driver or one of those tools with a magnet on the end). When you see at least one of the threaded holes, put a bolt in place to hold it from falling back inside. Move it to get the other hole aligned and put a bolt loosely into place, then squeeze some RTV into the hole to go between the windshield frame and the threaded plate. Now pull the bolts snug and let the RTV set & when that's done, you're ready to re-assembly everything.

You'll probably need to remove the wiper connection rods and maybe even the shafts that go through the windshield. The rods pop off - the joint is a steel ball and plastic (I think it's nylon) cup and I use a trim removal tool to pop the cup off the ball. When reassembling, you'll need to take care not to bend things - I use a pair of channel-lock pliers to pull the two pieces together. If you need to remove the shafts, they each have a nut on the outside of the windshield. Once that's removed, the shaft & associated bushing will drop through - you might need to tap it out. I use some windshield caulking when I put these back into place to stop any leaks.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #5
clush
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Excellent idea on the silicone. I managed to fish it up there today and got the bolts started but I was trying to think of a way to keep it there when I ultimatley need to bolt it to the windsheild hinge in the body. It was tedious to get up there, took me like 1.5 hrs and lots of winsheild flips to finally get it to line up so I could put bolts in there.
Unread 11-05-2011, 02:48 PM   #6
bkn1971
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clush View Post
Excellent idea on the silicone. I managed to fish it up there today and got the bolts started but I was trying to think of a way to keep it there when I ultimately need to bolt it to the windshield hinge in the body. It was tedious to get up there, took me like 1.5 hrs and lots of windshield flips to finally get it to line up so I could put bolts in there.
I used long set screws to keep the plate somewhat in place but pieces of threaded rod would do the same thing. good luck.
bkn1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 09:40 AM   #7
clush
1994 YJ Wrangler 

bkn, I used some threaded rod thanks to your suggestion and it worked great. Got it on last weekend, thanks for the idea!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.