JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Winching: Battery, Alternator, Etc? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/winching-battery-alternator-etc-1218769/)

jhumphrey 05-24-2011 08:51 PM

Winching: Battery, Alternator, Etc?

So the time is growing closer for me to get my winch, but I still have a few questions. Ive been crawling the forum and some say you need dual batteries, others say you need a high output alternator, others say you need <insert some high tech gimmick :D>. I read that you can replace the "standard" alternator on your jeep with another from a different vehicle (cant remember which one though).

Is any of this true? I want to get a winch, for obvious reasons, but do I need to "upgrade" all this other stuff when I do? If so, that'll make me postpone the winch for awhile.

Im also wanting to run an in cab control switch. Any ideas how this wires up and where would you install it on your yj's interior?

5-90 05-24-2011 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhumphrey (Post 11598136)
So the time is growing closer for me to get my winch, but I still have a few questions. Ive been crawling the forum and some say you need dual batteries, others say you need a high output alternator, others say you need <insert some high tech gimmick :D>. I read that you can replace the "standard" alternator on your jeep with another from a different vehicle (cant remember which one though).

Is any of this true? I want to get a winch, for obvious reasons, but do I need to "upgrade" all this other stuff when I do? If so, that'll make me postpone the winch for awhile.

Im also wanting to run an in cab control switch. Any ideas how this wires up and where would you install it on your yj's interior?

In-cabin control depends on the manufacturer - whether they did that or not.

What you should do to support your winch largely depends on how much you plan to use it. If it's occasional recovery, you just need to wire the thing straight to the battery. If your battery is more than a few years old, it should be replaced - look for one with a higher Reserve capacity - RC - which is rated in Ampere-hours (A-h.) This is the amount of current that can be drawn per unit time - a rating of, for instance, 120A-h indicates that you can draw 120A for one hour, 60A for two hours, 240A for 30 minutes, or any combination that multiples out to 120A-h.

Middlin' use indicates that you should have a battery with a decent reserve capacity and an upgraded alternator. The upgraded alternator will allow the battery to be recharged more quickly after a pull, so you're ready for the next one that much faster.

The most serious users are the ones that want the secondary deep-cycle arrangement, larger alternator, and all that. The deep cycle battery should have the largest A-h rating possible, the alternator should have the largest capacity you can mount, &c &c. The winch would be wired directly to the secondary battery.

But, you don't need to upgrade everything if you're not going to use your winch all the time - figure out what you've got going, and then upgrade as needed. Besides, you can also do a piecewise upgrade as you find you need more capacity...

jhumphrey 05-24-2011 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5-90 (Post 11598451)
In-cabin control depends on the manufacturer - whether they did that or not.

What you should do to support your winch largely depends on how much you plan to use it. If it's occasional recovery, you just need to wire the thing straight to the battery. If your battery is more than a few years old, it should be replaced - look for one with a higher Reserve capacity - RC - which is rated in Ampere-hours (A-h.) This is the amount of current that can be drawn per unit time - a rating of, for instance, 120A-h indicates that you can draw 120A for one hour, 60A for two hours, 240A for 30 minutes, or any combination that multiples out to 120A-h.

Middlin' use indicates that you should have a battery with a decent reserve capacity and an upgraded alternator. The upgraded alternator will allow the battery to be recharged more quickly after a pull, so you're ready for the next one that much faster.

The most serious users are the ones that want the secondary deep-cycle arrangement, larger alternator, and all that. The deep cycle battery should have the largest A-h rating possible, the alternator should have the largest capacity you can mount, &c &c. The winch would be wired directly to the secondary battery.

But, you don't need to upgrade everything if you're not going to use your winch all the time - figure out what you've got going, and then upgrade as needed. Besides, you can also do a piecewise upgrade as you find you need more capacity...

Thanks for that in-depth response. my plan is to only use the winch when I absolutely have to. My jeep is a 50/50 use jeep. Really, its more like 90/10. 90 on the road, 10 off. Im going to get more into off roading after I rig it up how I want it. I dont plan on hitting difficult trails, just get out and get dirty from time to time, but Id like to have the winch for recovery of mine (or a buddies) ride when off road.

Im planning to get the smittybilt xrc10 winch, so I dont know if its in cab ready (Im figuring that it isnt). It will be an occasional use winch, with it being used once or twice when off road. BUT who knows, I may find myself wanting to do more, if I know I have the right gear to get out, but like you said, piecewise would be the way to go. I just want to do everything right the first time :)

An aussie locker for my front is also on the list :thumbsup: After those two things, Id feel pretty capable :cheers2:

Anticanman 05-24-2011 11:14 PM

12voltguy.com has some in cab winch controls. He's up near Sacramento so it shouldn't take too long to ship to you. Thanks 5-90 for the explanation. I feel a little more educated than reading a biased explanation.

Edit: read the wrong location. OP is not in Cali. Sorry for confusion.

Bear1 05-24-2011 11:18 PM

I would just hook it up to power and go, that is what I am doing. In reality my winch may only see use 4 or 5 times a year, if I find I am using it more, then I will start upgrading stuff, but for now I will spend my money on suspension, gears, lockers, ect, ect, ect.

jhumphrey 05-24-2011 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anticanman (Post 11598885)
12voltguy.com has some in cab winch controls. He's up near Sacramento so it shouldn't take too long to ship to you. Thanks 5-90 for the explanation. I feel a little more educated than reading a biased explanation.

I totally agree. 5-90 put it awesomely :thumbsup:

Ive looked at 12voltguy's stuff and it looks like its top shelf made, but does he tell you how to hook it up?

Anticanman 05-24-2011 11:36 PM

From what I can see, he seems to explain every wire in the full custom harnesses he sells. I'm looking at having a setup custom made for some future mods. Looking at the dead buttons on the dash might be more motivating to make some money. Good luck!

jhumphrey 05-24-2011 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anticanman (Post 11598969)
From what I can see, he seems to explain every wire in the full custom harnesses he sells. I'm looking at having a setup custom made for some future mods. Looking at the dead buttons on the dash might be more motivating to make some money. Good luck!

I sent an email off to smittybilt to ask about the in cab wiring. Im sure that 12voltguy would explain it (if he didnt include instructions), if I had to ask. Im thinking of getting his winch / dual battery set up. That way, if I end up with dual batteries, I'd already have the in cab for it :)

18Dmedic 05-24-2011 11:49 PM

Yeah those controls look top notch. I'm definitely gonna pick one up when I get my winch.

5-90 05-25-2011 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anticanman (Post 11598969)

I do what I can - I try to make sure you have everything you need when you open the box, and that you know what to do with it all when it gets there!

I've done an awful lot of custom rewire jobs, heavy-duty work, ER/SAR vehicles, and Heaven knows what else - so I've learned a lot over the years. What's the point in learning if you don't help and/or teach?

The time now is 01:21 AM.