Winch weight? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Winch weight?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 12-04-2005, 08:17 PM   #1
jeepfury

Winch weight?

Hey all, I just recently purchased a Milemarker 12000lb winch and this sucker is heavy! About 110 pounds with the mounting plate. I noticed that my front end goes down a little bit but not a whole lot. Maybe a 1/3 of an inch? I have 3.5" bds springs and was wondering will the the springs sag too much too soon? Anyone else with the 4.0, a winch, and 3.5" bds springs I would like to hear from you guys how your springs held up? Could I add a leaf to the front packs maybe?

00 Cherokee Classic- Stock
jeepfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2005, 08:49 PM   #2
got_4_lo

adding a leaf will make the ride a lot harsher...

if your springs do sag, bds will give you new ones under warrenty life-time no hassle.

you can also get some 1/3" shackles to even the ride out

and 1 last thing, i'll be geting a 3.5" bds lift for christmas, so how does it ride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTJ
I came home to be spit on and protested against in Boulder, Colorado. Most of the people have no clue. And that's why we do what we do. We give up our freedom so they can enjoy their freedom.
got_4_lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2005, 08:54 PM   #3
jeepfury

Yea i would definalety avoid the add a leaf, i thought maybe i could add one out of a stock leaf pack or something just so it doesn't sag anymore. I already have 5/8 M.O.R.E shackles though, but i guess i could get bigger. As for the lift kit I am pretty happy with it. It rides a little rough, but come on its a lifted jeep! You won't be disappointed. I noticed if you have more weight in the jeep that it rides nicer.

Unread 12-04-2005, 09:31 PM   #4
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

like got said, i'd wait for it to sag then replace it under warranty. you paid for it, might as well use it

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2005, 10:15 PM   #5
jeepfury

Yea the warranty is glorious but I was just wondering if anyone had any tricks i might not have known about. The tj guys add a .75" spacer up front. I just don't want to have to be without my jeep for a long time to ship the springs.

Unread 12-07-2005, 01:22 AM   #6
eche981

winch weight!!!!

You know a few years back I had a winch that weighed alot, it seemed that everytime I had that winch in the front of my jeep that it would also sag. Not only 3/8 of an inch more like 2 inches right side down. I think that winch weighed somewhere in the neighborhood of 350 lbs, And i know the winch couldn't pull more that about 200 lbs. So in the end i got rid of that old winch and upgraded. My new winch only weighs 120 lbs and i love her to death.........
(0)_)(0)_)-(o)_) 88 hardtop 258 (Strong motor) 3 in lift, 1 in body , 32X12.50, webber, nutter, HEI upgarde and needs paint.

Last edited by eche981; 12-07-2005 at 01:23 AM.. Reason: spelling
eche981 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.