Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Winch plate with feet (risers)

4K views 43 replies 11 participants last post by  Goobersbro 
#1 ·
I'm getting no responses in the "General Offroading" section, so I figure I'll post here since you guys are much quicker with help/responses.
I picked up a "universal" winch plate off one of my neighbors (yay, I don't have to make one) and am in the process of modifying it to fit what I need.

What I want to do is add risers to it, right under the bolt holes to where it attaches to the frame. I plan on lifting the plate about 3/8" up using a couple of rectangles that are about 2" wide by 7" long, with holes cut in them for the bolts to pass through. Then i'll weld these beneath the plate.

Does anyone see a "problem" with this as far as structural stability/integrity is concerned?

#3 ·
Thanks, that's all I needed to know man.
I couldn't pass p a free winch plate. Modifying this one will be much better than cutting my own.
If it were't for the foot of snow we just got I'd have it installed already. :(

#4 ·
Sounds like a reverse TC drop for your winch.....:laugh:

My Smittybilt plate came with two 1/4" spacers ( like a fat washer ) for use under the two rear mounting plate bolts. They levelled the plate ( front of the plate sits on top of the OEM bumper ). Smittybilt is okay with this arrangement so I am too. As long as you have solid metal between the bottom of the winch and the frame I would think it would hold up just fine.

My setup has been fine with half a dozen pulls, no shifting or movement.

#5 ·
I have a CJ with a custom built (strange, built by PO) round tube front bumper. I also had a custom built winch plate that I used to use on my Isuzu truck, it was a 3/8" plate with 2 2" square tubes welded to the bottom on opposite ends of the plate. I did this so it would be removable on that truck. Anyway, I bought the Jeep and dragged the winch plate out of the back of the garage (I sold the Isuzu a while back, and bough a F-150, which came with a Warn winch bumper installed by PO,) and lo and behold the 2" square tubes were perfectly spaced to fit my CJ frame, and lifted the winch high enough to clear my bumper. I haven't had any problems winching anything with the Jeep (I usually pull dead cars onto trailers more than anything else.)

#6 ·
Excellant!
Thanks for the reassurance guys.

#7 ·
Your definatly all set B. I would only see an issue if you were using some sort of funky bushing or something. With a FULL spacer you should have no issue.

#8 ·
That was my line of thinking as well, I just wanted (needed??) reassurance.
I figured it the spacers I weld to the bottom of the plate were the exact same size as the frame, then it is still making the same ammount of contact.
Now I'm eager to see how much my front end sags when I get this thing all set up. :eek:

#10 ·
Either you are serious, and I am way off base with my thinking.
Or this was the best sarsactic post I have ever read, in which case I give you a big :thumbsup:

Are you seriously saying that your plate is sitting 3/4" off the frame?
Got pics??

#11 ·
On a different not.
The holes in the plate I was given will not line up properly to my frame. So I'm going to tig weld some slugs into those holes and laser cut some new holes in there.
Can anyone tell me how far apart the two holes are? I know there has been a few pics posted with the information that is easily findable... but as alot of you know I don't have image capibilities on the terminal I use from work. :(

#12 · (Edited)
Font Automotive tire Line Asphalt Auto part
Font Automotive tire Line Asphalt Auto part
you say your making your spacers as wide as the frame? won't they hit the metal thats welded by the factory near the back of the bumper.

i didnt look at your jeep but , on mine im adding 2 holes 2 -3/4" back from the existing holes. the front set of holes are occupied by my stock bumper,and thats why i added two more. the holes on mine are 31 -1/4 " apart. (THE PICTURE MEASURMENT IS WRONG}

i wouldnt worry to much about how big the spacer is . remember that the winch is only held on by 3/8 bolts. you really dont need to have welded full length spacers, but if it gives you piece of mind go for it. how are you mountin the back of the plate since there are no holes?

#15 ·
you say your making your spacers as wide as the frame? won't they hit the metal thats welded by the factory near the back of the bumper.
I've already taken care of all that previously. You know me, I have a welder, grinder, laser, etc... I just can't leave **** alone. :laugh:

i didnt look at your jeep but , on mine im adding 2 holes 2 -3/4" back from the existing holes. the front set of holes are occupied by my stock bumper,and thats why i added two more. the holes on mine are 31 -1/4 " apart.
It's hard to explain, but my bumper mount will be integrated into the winch plate. Actually, I guess it will be easy to explain. I'm building my winch plate into my front bumper but plan on having it sit a bit higher. Once again, I point to the fact I can't leave **** alone! :rofl:

i wouldnt worry to much about how big the spacer is . remember that the winch is only held on by 3/8 bolts. you really dont need to have welded full length spacers, but if it gives you piece of mind go for it. how are you mountin the back of the plate since there are no holes?
Peace of mind is what I was hoping for when starting this thread, and have achieved it. :thumbsup:
As for your last question there, it was answered just above this paragraph. ;)

Thanks

#13 ·
I don't foresee any problems at all by lifting it ~3/8".

My winch plate sits up ~1/4" above the framerails due to the mounting tabs of my homebrew bumper. I used some big washers for the rear as spacers to level things out. It's been this way for several years with no problems.

Incase you're wondering - that 1/4" plate that's just behind the winch mount that has a couple bolts running thru it is for my homebrew steering box brace & has nothing to do with the winch mount.

#16 ·
Thanks for chiming in Joe, much appreciated.
And thanks for another pic of your rig.
I use them as masterbatory aids. :rofl: :laugh:
Seriously, I love your rig. Would love to steal it from you in the middle of the night and go for a joy ride. :thumbsup:
OK... I need to lay off the mind altering substances...

#14 ·
when i looked up a warn winch plate for my jeep the one i got has two legs and a plate. it's raised up i guess about an 3/4" or so and it did come with flat washers to use as spacers.i was a little weary of this but i figured it should be ok.i plan on having the legs welded to the top plate as extra security.

#18 ·
They don't call me a pic whore for nothing. :laugh:

You should see her with her top off. :eek: That'd give ya' a rise in your levi's (see how that rhymes?) :D
:2thumbsup:
Remind me to buy you a beer if I'm ever over that way.

#20 ·
the measurments in my pic is wrong. it is 31-1/4 . i tried o fix it but somehow now we have to pics! still wrong

#23 ·
Interesting
Thanks!

#24 ·
One more question about mounting the winch.
It's obvious I've never mounted one before - used one, but never mounted one.

When I mount the fairlead, is the cable supposed to spool directly through the middle of it when tight and parallell to the ground? Or is it OK if the cable has to come up and then roll along the bottom roller?
Does that make sense? Basically I'm asking how high the fairlead needs to be mounted, because with the way it is now, when the cable is completely spooled the bottom of the spooled cable is below the top of the bottom roller.

#25 ·
You're fine, IMHO. As you spool out cable, the diameter will be smaller, and things will line up better. As the highest capacity of your winch is when you have almost all the cable spooled out (always leave the last wrap) It looks to me like you are set up the way it should be.

#26 ·
Thanks, just another one of those "I want assurance" questions.
I didn't think it was that big of a deal, after-all, wtf are the rollers for then right?
And I've used winches before, know about leaving the last 5 or 6 wraps on the drum. :thumbsup:

#27 ·
Well, just to wrap this thread up.
I finished my winch plate ended up having to use 9mm of riser spacing.
Currently painting it and will bake it later tonight.
Will probably install the winch tomorrow, or more likely, the next day.

#29 ·
I'm a procrastinator when it comes to taking pics and/or posting them.
You have no idea how many times I've said "I'll post a pic soon" and failed to follow through... I'm lazy.
But I do need to take a recent photo of my Jeep, the one in my profile was the day I brought it home... well, to work actually, and put some 31x10.5 BFGs on the stock wheels.
Which reminds me, I need to order those Cragars.

#31 ·
Easier said than done.
How am I going to hold a camera with a beer in one hand and a beer in the other???
Did you think of that? Huh punk??!!!

pft! kids

#33 ·
I probably will take a picture once I get the winch mounted, just to satisfy you. :thumbsup:

I really do need an up to date pic though.

#34 ·
hurry up and get it done, i know football is more important.

while you were drinking beer , i finished mine!
:cheers2:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.