Winch or not - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Winch or not

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 06-26-2002, 10:23 PM   #1
KYgreenYJ
2012 JK Wrangler 

Winch or not

My friend winched me out of a mudhole that was about the as wide as my jeep blocked at one end by a cliff and a monsterous tree at the other end. we spent a good 45 minutes going back and fourth in this hole trying to get out of one of the sides but i just couldn't get the traction cause im not locked. Now im thinking about a winch cause i could probably get one pretty cheap 400-500. Should I? Is it cheating? I would get locked but i don't want to spend quite that much money and risk killing my stock axles. im pretty new to wheeling and i just don;t want to have to go get someonewith another more capable jeep evertime i go to my friends farm and slide around in the woods. Alo what size would i need will an 8k lb be enough to pull me aroudn or maybe a friends cherokee or (gag) Explorer?

Old Jeep, SOLD:
94 Green YJ SE 4.0L 5spd
3.5" BDS lift, 1"MML/BL, Revolvers, SYE/CV, no track bars or sway bars, MORE sport cage
Green Jeep Club Member #20
KYgreenYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2002, 10:36 PM   #2
Dan's YJ

Yes, an 8000lb winch is enough.

Look at it like this, your jeep is pretty capable now, right. And your getting stuck every now and then. Well if you were locked, you might not get stuck as often but when you do, your really stuck. And it's gonna be that much harder to get you free.

I'd go with the winch unless you have a friend that has one. Just my $.02
Dan's YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2002, 11:36 PM   #3
Quan

Get a winch.. I'm locked and I still use my winch. I don't think there is anything more valuable when you're stuck alone or with friends. I have a ramsey 8,000 lb and it does excellent for me. Get it, you'll be really glad some time... actualy, many times if you're like me

[b][COLOR=green]Green[/color] Jeep Club Member #15[/b]
[b]My Jeep Made Me Broke Club Member #2[/b]

93 YJ I-6 w/ stuff

Keep the [COLOR=blue]greasy[/color] side down
[URL=http://members.cox.net/quanno/ford88.html]FORD 8.8 INFO HERE![/URL]
Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2002, 12:21 AM   #4
jonabbott23

i have teh warn hs9500i and lockright lockers...and i still use my winch too. i would go with the winch first....just cuz' you can get out wehn you get stuck instead of just getting stuck.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.