Winch battery ground wire getting hot! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Winch battery ground wire getting hot!

Halloween Savings to die for!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 06-21-2013, 02:07 AM   #1
AZdEvilYJ
Garage Junkie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

So after my last jeep outing I finally got to use my winch (ENGO9k), but to no avail. With no load, as I spooled in the slack on the cable the wire going to the battery ground were getting insanely hot.

In a rush for time, I removed all the cable from the winch and continued to recover my friend.

As I sit here in my garage I fixed the small ground wire and after a couple sparks at the battery terminal, the winch to begin to power in faster(no more sparks), again with no load, but the ground wire to the battery is still getting very hot....

What is going on here?? The wires are approx. 48" long and maybe 4ga terminal battery cable from the winch to batt.

Thanks,

Greg

My Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...nally-1575209/
AZdEvilYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 07:17 AM   #2
adiubald
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the ground connection was shaky. There may have been a IR loss (voltage drop) at the ground connection - which is why when you connected the ground directly to the battery it seemed to spin faster.

Hot wires= too much power dissipated in the wire itself. Make the wire significantly shorter and/or increase the diameter of the wire (lower gauge)

Assuming the winch is working correctly and not drawing more current than it should, I would make the ground wire as short as possible- connect it to the bumper or frame as close as possible to the winch.

-Anthony
adiubald is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Strange. I have an Engo 10,000lb winch I only have a problem of the wires getting hot if I put a big load on it for more than 5 minutes without a break.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
captainauti
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

heat is resistance. be sure you have good connections. maybe the cable is bad or a bad terminal. if the cable is corroded at all you will have resistance. or if it is undersized. check it all.
2011 F150 4x4 5.0 Coyote SVT Supercrew
2008 E450 v10 Jayco Greyhawk 28 (tildah)

captainauti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You have resistance somewhere in the power circuit. Check connections specifically to ground. If it were me I would run new copper wire for the power circuit. Maybe even upside bit a little. Winches typically use aluminum. BOOOO! Copper carries current better.

Sent from my phone because I'm doing something "more important"

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 09:35 PM   #6
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Mine does the same thing. My ground wire is maybe only 8" long and goes from the winch to the frame right behind the bumper. It's only maybe 10g wire though. Maybe I should up size it? Last time I used it, it got pretty damn warm!

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #7
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows
Mine does the same thing. My ground wire is maybe only 8" long and goes from the winch to the frame right behind the bumper. It's only maybe 10g wire though. Maybe I should up size it? Last time I used it, it got pretty damn warm!

Cheers
It should be the same size as the positive wire.
Unread 06-21-2013, 09:52 PM   #8
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
It should be the same size as the positive wire.
Well there we go then haha! The positive is like 00 battery cable or whatever. A pretty massive difference between the two...add that to the list of little annoying crap to fix.

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #9
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZdEvilYJ View Post
So after my last jeep outing I finally got to use my winch (ENGO9k), but to no avail. With no load, as I spooled in the slack on the cable the wire going to the battery ground were getting insanely hot.

In a rush for time, I removed all the cable from the winch and continued to recover my friend.

As I sit here in my garage I fixed the small ground wire and after a couple sparks at the battery terminal, the winch to begin to power in faster(no more sparks), again with no load, but the ground wire to the battery is still getting very hot....

What is going on here?? The wires are approx. 48" long and maybe 4ga terminal battery cable from the winch to batt.

Thanks,

Greg
I'd like to see a pic or two of your wiring, we may be able to sort out your issues that way. Didn't you just have alternator issues? What are you referring to as your 'small ground wire' ?
YJOTM JULY 2014
DirtKar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 10:39 PM   #10
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows

Well there we go then haha! The positive is like 00 battery cable or whatever. A pretty massive difference between the two...add that to the list of little annoying crap to fix.

Cheers
Makes sense. What goes in must come out.
Unread 06-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #11
AZdEvilYJ
Garage Junkie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtKar
I'd like to see a pic or two of your wiring, we may be able to sort out your issues that way. Didn't you just have alternator issues? What are you referring to as your 'small ground wire' ?
Thanks for all the replies guys!

Ya I did have an alternator problem which i have seemed to solved i hope, after everything I tried/fixed/ replaced it was a faulty breaker... Swapped it out and not an issue since.

As for the winch, there is a small ground that mounts to the body right under the grill (which had some chaffing on it that I fixed), and there is a large cable that runs from the winch to the (-) battery terminal. That is the one getting very hot.

I just got off work so ill post my pics when I get home

My Build Thread
Unread 06-21-2013, 11:08 PM   #12
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't ground the winch to the frame. Your winch can draw over 600 amps with a heavy load. The factory ground straps are not gonna handle That well. There is a reason the neg and pos are ran straight to vthe battery. All your doing now is heating up the stock ground straps and your not noticing it.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using JeepForum

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #13
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like poor grounds and connections/connectors. I would check them all and look for corrosion under the sheathing.

I think everyone has pretty much said that but that's what came to mind when I read your initial post.

Make sure your negative cable to the battery is grounded to the frame, engine and body. There should be a point on the pass. side of the engine and a ground strap on one of the head bolts.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #14
AZdEvilYJ
Garage Junkie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Here's how I have it hooked to the battery so I'm sure this is where the problem lies, but how else would I hook it other than this?
So there's a total of 4 cables hooked up there. The two main ground and motor ground, the the alternator upgraded cable and the winch.

My Build Thread
Unread 06-22-2013, 06:19 PM   #15
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Part of your prob is that corroded terminal. I have mine hook ed up the same way. With no issues there. Mine will heat up at the terminals on the winch motor only if I run it to long without a break. But yoy really need to clean that bat terminal up

Sent from my SPH-L300 using JeepForum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.