JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Winch battery ground wire getting hot! (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/winch-battery-ground-wire-getting-hot-1539333/)

AZdEvilYJ 06-21-2013 03:07 AM

So after my last jeep outing I finally got to use my winch (ENGO9k), but to no avail. With no load, as I spooled in the slack on the cable the wire going to the battery ground were getting insanely hot.

In a rush for time, I removed all the cable from the winch and continued to recover my friend.

As I sit here in my garage I fixed the small ground wire and after a couple sparks at the battery terminal, the winch to begin to power in faster(no more sparks), again with no load, but the ground wire to the battery is still getting very hot....

What is going on here?? The wires are approx. 48" long and maybe 4ga terminal battery cable from the winch to batt.

Thanks,

Greg

adiubald 06-21-2013 08:17 AM

Sounds like the ground connection was shaky. There may have been a IR loss (voltage drop) at the ground connection - which is why when you connected the ground directly to the battery it seemed to spin faster.

Hot wires= too much power dissipated in the wire itself. Make the wire significantly shorter and/or increase the diameter of the wire (lower gauge)

Assuming the winch is working correctly and not drawing more current than it should, I would make the ground wire as short as possible- connect it to the bumper or frame as close as possible to the winch.

-Anthony

Siva283 06-21-2013 12:23 PM

Strange. I have an Engo 10,000lb winch I only have a problem of the wires getting hot if I put a big load on it for more than 5 minutes without a break.

captainauti 06-21-2013 01:01 PM

heat is resistance. be sure you have good connections. maybe the cable is bad or a bad terminal. if the cable is corroded at all you will have resistance. or if it is undersized. check it all.

rambo3489 06-21-2013 01:58 PM

You have resistance somewhere in the power circuit. Check connections specifically to ground. If it were me I would run new copper wire for the power circuit. Maybe even upside bit a little. Winches typically use aluminum. BOOOO! Copper carries current better.

Sent from my phone because I'm doing something "more important"

Sparrows 06-21-2013 10:35 PM

Mine does the same thing. My ground wire is maybe only 8" long and goes from the winch to the frame right behind the bumper. It's only maybe 10g wire though. Maybe I should up size it? Last time I used it, it got pretty damn warm!

Cheers

Michaelgoesrawr 06-21-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparrows
Mine does the same thing. My ground wire is maybe only 8" long and goes from the winch to the frame right behind the bumper. It's only maybe 10g wire though. Maybe I should up size it? Last time I used it, it got pretty damn warm!

Cheers

It should be the same size as the positive wire.

Sparrows 06-21-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr (Post 15592448)
It should be the same size as the positive wire.

Well there we go then haha! The positive is like 00 battery cable or whatever. A pretty massive difference between the two...add that to the list of little annoying crap to fix.

Cheers

DirtKar 06-21-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZdEvilYJ (Post 15588866)
So after my last jeep outing I finally got to use my winch (ENGO9k), but to no avail. With no load, as I spooled in the slack on the cable the wire going to the battery ground were getting insanely hot.

In a rush for time, I removed all the cable from the winch and continued to recover my friend.

As I sit here in my garage I fixed the small ground wire and after a couple sparks at the battery terminal, the winch to begin to power in faster(no more sparks), again with no load, but the ground wire to the battery is still getting very hot....

What is going on here?? The wires are approx. 48" long and maybe 4ga terminal battery cable from the winch to batt.

Thanks,

Greg

I'd like to see a pic or two of your wiring, we may be able to sort out your issues that way. Didn't you just have alternator issues? What are you referring to as your 'small ground wire' ?

Michaelgoesrawr 06-21-2013 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparrows

Well there we go then haha! The positive is like 00 battery cable or whatever. A pretty massive difference between the two...add that to the list of little annoying crap to fix.

Cheers

Makes sense. What goes in must come out.

AZdEvilYJ 06-21-2013 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtKar
I'd like to see a pic or two of your wiring, we may be able to sort out your issues that way. Didn't you just have alternator issues? What are you referring to as your 'small ground wire' ?

Thanks for all the replies guys!

Ya I did have an alternator problem which i have seemed to solved i hope, after everything I tried/fixed/ replaced it was a faulty breaker... Swapped it out and not an issue since.

As for the winch, there is a small ground that mounts to the body right under the grill (which had some chaffing on it that I fixed), and there is a large cable that runs from the winch to the (-) battery terminal. That is the one getting very hot.

I just got off work so ill post my pics when I get home

Siva283 06-22-2013 12:08 AM

I wouldn't ground the winch to the frame. Your winch can draw over 600 amps with a heavy load. The factory ground straps are not gonna handle That well. There is a reason the neg and pos are ran straight to vthe battery. All your doing now is heating up the stock ground straps and your not noticing it.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using JeepForum

Louie4 06-22-2013 09:54 AM

Sounds like poor grounds and connections/connectors. I would check them all and look for corrosion under the sheathing.

I think everyone has pretty much said that but that's what came to mind when I read your initial post.

Make sure your negative cable to the battery is grounded to the frame, engine and body. There should be a point on the pass. side of the engine and a ground strap on one of the head bolts.

AZdEvilYJ 06-22-2013 02:55 PM

Here's how I have it hooked to the battery so I'm sure this is where the problem lies, but how else would I hook it other than this?
So there's a total of 4 cables hooked up there. The two main ground and motor ground, the the alternator upgraded cable and the winch.

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps28a7ca53.jpg

Siva283 06-22-2013 07:19 PM

Part of your prob is that corroded terminal. I have mine hook ed up the same way. With no issues there. Mine will heat up at the terminals on the winch motor only if I run it to long without a break. But yoy really need to clean that bat terminal up

Sent from my SPH-L300 using JeepForum

The time now is 05:38 PM.