JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Will TJ Interior Door Panel fit on YJ ? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/will-tj-interior-door-panel-fit-yj-1172403/)

Sledhead44 02-23-2011 11:49 AM

Will TJ Interior Door Panel fit on YJ ?

Probably been asked before, but I can't find anything. Talking about the full hard door.
Thanks!

GRYDE001 02-23-2011 12:25 PM

I was actually wondering this myself?? I would think that it's possible, but you'd probably have to drill holes in your YJ doors for the TJ door panels to fit into. I don't know tho :confused:

scubamc 02-23-2011 01:40 PM

The simple answer is no. With enough time and fab skills anything is possible. Some problems you will run into would be the window cranks not being located in the same locations, door handles, locks, etc.

What are you trying to accomplish with this swap? Is it the TJ look you prefer? Are your panels shot and need to be replaced? If yours just need to be replaced go buy you some thin MDF, trace your panels on it, cut it out and cover with your favorite fabric of choice.

Sledhead44 02-23-2011 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scubamc (Post 11031986)
The simple answer is no. With enough time and fab skills anything is possible. Some problems you will run into would be the window cranks not being located in the same locations, door handles, locks, etc.

What are you trying to accomplish with this swap? Is it the TJ look you prefer? Are your panels shot and need to be replaced? If yours just need to be replaced go buy you some thin MDF, trace your panels on it, cut it out and cover with your favorite fabric of choice.

I have a huge dent on the inside of the passenger door above where the stock YJ interior panel goes. I was hoping that a TJ panel that goes all the way up to the window would cover the dent. I think I have also seen some YJ panels that go all the way up to the window, but I can't find anyone who sells them.

jeepguy85 02-23-2011 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sledhead44 (Post 11032170)
I have a huge dent on the inside of the passenger door above where the stock YJ interior panel goes. I was hoping that a TJ panel that goes all the way up to the window would cover the dent. I think I have also seen some YJ panels that go all the way up to the window, but I can't find anyone who sells them.

If it is a dent, fill it....

Sledhead44 02-23-2011 03:18 PM

Afraid the filler may eventually crack from all the door slammin so I'd like to just cover up the dent.

scubamc 02-23-2011 03:29 PM

They did not make solid panel that covered the whole door. It is actually a two piece panel and it is some what rare and hard to find. They were available on CJ Limited and some of the YJs. You might want to try and call Collins Brothers Jeeps.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e3...edoorpanel.jpg

GEARHED 02-23-2011 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scubamc (Post 11032707)
They did not make solid panel that covered the whole door. It is actually a two piece panel and it is some what rare and hard to find. They were available on CJ Limited and some of the YJs. You might want to try and call Collins Brothers Jeeps.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e3...edoorpanel.jpg

My 94' has the same panel and its on list #2 of things to change. Those locks wear out, the door handles pull off easier over time and hard to replace OEM. I have some ideas, going to try a 1 piece with 89-91'' style handles, different locks and see if I can get a motor to fit in the panel for the window.
Not sure about that last part but I've got a couple of different motors laying around to mess with along with the rails...one less thing to smack my elbow on.

Sledhead44 02-23-2011 03:59 PM

Thanks for the tip Scubamc!

Radioactiveman1 08-29-2013 03:00 PM

The pull handles on my '94 Sahara door panels broke. Well one did. It just came off and the other one was about to. I didn't really feel like buying new ones because I felt they were overpriced (so were the ebay used ones) and the "universal" ones at AZ, AAP, etc., looked like crap and didn't come close to matching my Sahara green interior. When I looked I noticed that the handles are really just the molded plastic handle with a thin metal strip that's inserted and has holes drilled in the ends. I went to Lowe's and Home Depot looking for a thin metal stip like a cargo strap. I couldn't find what I was looking for anywhere until I happened through the building supply area. The lumber and fence is bundled together with metal cargo straps that are almost the perfect width...just a hair wider and, the good part, thicker so stronger. I found one of the guys in the lumber section and told him what I was looking for and what I wanted to do with it. They had a waste can in the back by the board cutter where they throw them in after cutting them off the lumber to be recycled. He gave me two sections, about 10 or 15 feet in total. I flattened out one of the strips I pulled out of the handles and cut 4 lengths that were the same. Then I marked and drilled holes to match the originals and started bending them tot match the shape of the handles. I managed to squeeze two strips into each handle. They're much stronger and stiffer than the originals. They should last a very long time. The best part is the only money I spent was the gas to get to Lowe's and that doesn't really count because I bought other stuff while I was there so this fix/mod was basically free other than my time and I did the bending and drilling while I was at work so...ZING...considering my salary I actually made money making these!

superj 08-30-2013 04:52 AM

they came on the laredo and the sahara models, the upper door panels. mine is a laredo and has them in black and my wife's old 93 sahara had them in the green color. its just a curved piece of fiberboard with fabric glued to it though. some kind of very thin padding between

The time now is 02:23 PM.