Will TJ flares fix this? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Will TJ flares fix this?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 08-10-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Will TJ flares fix this?

Bought some smitty xrc tj tube flares for the rear because I am rubbing when I take corners. It seems the BDS springs seem to locate the 8.8 back a bit further than my Skyjacker rear springs and the Dana 35. Has anyone mounted the tj rears all the way back or should I just comp cut the rear and sell the tube flares?

image-1676238799.jpg  
Unread 08-10-2011, 09:55 PM   #2
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

The TJ flares will definitely open up the wheel well a lot and it's a mod I highly recommend. I remember on one of my excursions out into the woods I looked at some pics of my jeep and noticed the rear wheel was pretty far back in the wheel well. I found out later I sheared the spring pins.

As seen here:

Pic of TJ flares with 33's.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2011, 09:55 PM   #3
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Dude, something is misaligned. Are you sure you got the center bolts in the hole on the spring plates and not the open slot in front of the proper alignment hole? That is the "easiest to fix" reason I can think of that it would be sitting that far back.

Your axle is significantly farther back than mine sits with my BDS springs and 8.8. Mine lines up with the opening as it should:

11 Ram 2500 - H&S tuned 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2011, 10:09 PM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Pins are in their respective holes on the perches. It's just an inadvertant stretch. How can I get a wheel well for those 35's to hang out in?
Unread 08-10-2011, 11:37 PM   #5
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Are those the 4" BDS springs? If so, I think you have them on backwards. Their 4" springs are longer on one side than the other, the smaller 2" springs though are centered.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2011, 12:07 AM   #6
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

They're 5" springs. Maybe they're on backwards... Either way, I'm rolling with it!

How do you keep the inner fender liner intact when you start cutting?
Unread 08-11-2011, 01:55 AM   #7
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I threw the inner liners away completely. If you cut your opening the size of the flares you'll have big gaps in the liner allowing even more mud and **** to collect in there to promote rust. I'd just rip them out and spray undercoating under there or bed liner or whatever, that was my plan although I still haven't done it.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2011, 05:50 AM   #8
Doch80
1995 YJ Wrangler 

As what the others have said, although I'm not familier with the Tube fenders though I would assume they'd be the same, installing TJ flares will of course open the wheel well up quite a bit, but you cut a big portion of the rear of the fender lip out. When I did mine, I was able to cut just a little off of the front of the wheel well. As I went up and around towards the back, the cut got gradualy larger which led me to cut about 2 or 3 times more off the back then I did off the front. In your case, that seems to be a benificial outcome.

As far as the liners... I thew them out as well and sprayed a rubberized undercoating you can buy from O'rielys or Autozone. You might get the occasional loud rock hitting the wheel wheel... not a big deal.

Or you can keep it. Just trim it after you trim the metal.
Doch80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2011, 06:13 AM   #9
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I had a 5" cutting disc that cut through the metal and liner like butter. Any liner that was still sticking out I took a utility knife and trimmed. I kept mine because it was still in good shape and pliable. One of my buddies threw his out because they were cracked and brittle. I would check the condition of them and then decide or just throw them out completely and coat the underside.

On a side note it does look like the springs are on backwards. I believe the full military wrapped end goes on the frame side and the 1/4 wrapped end goes on the shackle side. At least that's how my 3.5" Black Diamonds are. I ran mine backwards on the front (though it didn't matter) for years but I swapped them around when I was putting lower gears in.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 08-11-2011, 09:10 AM   #10
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
I had a 5" cutting disc that cut through the metal and liner like butter. Any liner that was still sticking out I took a utility knife and trimmed. I kept mine because it was still in good shape and pliable. One of my buddies threw his out because they were cracked and brittle. I would check the condition of them and then decide or just throw them out completely and coat the underside.

On a side note it does look like the springs are on backwards. I believe the full military wrapped end goes on the frame side and the 1/4 wrapped end goes on the shackle side. At least that's how my 3.5" Black Diamonds are. I ran mine backwards on the front (though it didn't matter) for years but I swapped them around when I was putting lower gears in.
They're full mil wrap on both ends of the BDS spring. My RE springs on the front have the full wrap on the frame and the half wrap at the shackle.
Unread 08-11-2011, 09:47 AM   #11
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
They're full mil wrap on both ends of the BDS spring. My RE springs on the front have the full wrap on the frame and the half wrap at the shackle.
I keep forgetting what assuming gets you . Looks like the orientation of the spring might matter based on the instructions. I guess just something to do when you feel like taking the rear axle out.

http://bds-suspension.com/instructions/014500.pdf

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 08-11-2011, 11:32 AM   #12
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
I keep forgetting what assuming gets you . Looks like the orientation of the spring might matter based on the instructions. I guess just something to do when you feel like taking the rear axle out.

http://bds-suspension.com/instructions/014500.pdf
If I didn't already have my driveshaft measured for this orientation, I'd flip them around today. I'm just going to cut a lot and see where it gets me. I don't think it hurts any to have the axle 1" back does it?
Unread 08-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #13
newheep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
If I didn't already have my driveshaft measured for this orientation, I'd flip them around today. I'm just going to cut a lot and see where it gets me. I don't think it hurts any to have the axle 1" back does it?
Not at all. as long as the axle clears the gas tank your good to go.
newheep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2011, 05:15 PM   #14
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

There is still a little bit of steel that I can trim on the flares themselves. Think that'll do?
image-464601818.jpg  
Unread 08-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #15
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I see no problem with the axle back 1". Definitely trim that metal. Every little bit helps. I would even consider moving the flares back a bit to get more room.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.