Will a TJ dash/interior work in a YJ?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Will a TJ dash/interior work in a YJ??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 05-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Will a TJ dash/interior work in a YJ??

I know some of you here are die hard YJ lovers, and are going to persecute me for even asking this......

With minimal work, would a TJ dash (the entire thing) swap into a YJ?

I am kind of not-too-fond of the dash setup in my 91. I am a little more partial to the dash/dashboard/glovebox setup of the TJs. What say the masses? Should we try it or not?

A little background, I have a 91 with a 350 swap done by the PO and a rat's nest of wires to everywhere and nowhere.

USMCBuckWild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #2
Jax89Jeeper
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBuckWild
I know some of you here are die hard YJ lovers, and are going to persecute me for even asking this......

With minimal work, would a TJ dash (the entire thing) swap into a YJ?
Simple answer... NO. It would take lots of work and fab to make this happen.
Jax89Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.doubledfab.com/ My dash is in the photo list somewhere.
Unread 05-22-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
Jax89Jeeper
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon
I got mine from him last fall... Dan is great to work with!
Unread 05-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #5
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Those look pretty sweet! I was looking more at snatching the dash and instrument cluster from a TJ and fit it into my YJ. Just curious if anyone had done this before or could give me pointers. I'm a cheap a$$ and don't want to spend anymore money than absolutely required! Hahaha
Unread 05-22-2012, 08:04 PM   #6
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I believe all TJ's use the CAN buss for the dash gauges, which is fed by a/the computer, totally incompatible with a YJ. The CAN system was designed to reduce wiring needs (lower cost), with the gauges sort of daisy chained together (think USB, but not).

You don't sound like a YJ guy. Just buy a TJ and ease your pain.
Unread 05-23-2012, 05:13 AM   #7
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
I believe all TJ's use the CAN buss for the dash gauges, which is fed by a/the computer, totally incompatible with a YJ. The CAN system was designed to reduce wiring needs (lower cost), with the gauges sort of daisy chained together (think USB, but not).

You don't sound like a YJ guy. Just buy a TJ and ease your pain.
Now that breaks it down a little better for me, thank you.

As for not being a YJ guy...... Come on now, just because I don't like the dash and gauge setup? Its 4corner leaf spring, whats not to love?
Unread 05-23-2012, 05:50 AM   #8
tonymartin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

ha ha, I think Don was referring to not wanting to spend money, and owning a YJ....... Not compatible!
Unread 05-23-2012, 07:16 AM   #9
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymartin View Post
ha ha, I think Don was referring to not wanting to spend money, and owning a YJ....... Not compatible!
No, I meant that vehicles, Jeeps included, tend to get more complicated as the years/models go by. The YJ is generally less complicated than a TJ. Most YJ owners do mods in the simpler direction, taking things off rather than putting things on. Wanting to remove the butt ugly YJ dash is a good idea, but adding a bigger butt ugly TJ dash is just wrong.
Unread 05-23-2012, 09:05 AM   #10
Jax89Jeeper
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon
Wanting to remove the butt ugly YJ dash is a good idea, but adding a bigger butt ugly TJ dash is just wrong.
Agreed!
Unread 05-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #11
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
http://www.doubledfab.com/ My dash is in the photo list somewhere.
My dash is in there too. Why anyone would want to go from the YJ plastic to even more plastic is beyond me. I guess you could have lots of fun wiring it up and even have airbags.
Unread 05-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #12
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I hear ya on not liking the YJ dash. Been working on a sheetmetal one for quite some time....
rendered-dash.jpg  

Ask me about my 4BT Cummins Motor Mounts!!
youngjeeper11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2012, 10:45 AM   #13
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngjeeper11 View Post
I hear ya on not liking the YJ dash. Been working on a sheetmetal one for quite some time....
See now I like that design better. The TJ dash is just more user friendly I think, witb all the gauges in one spot, a large ACCESSABLE radio location.... Plus, a better oh poop handle on the dash. My wife grabbed the YJ on and pulled on it, the stupid thing about came off in her hand!

I like simple and effective.

I understand about the older vehicles; while simpler tend to be more of a money pit. I traded a 74 Duster for my YJ
Unread 05-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #14
murilstone
1987 YJ Wrangler 

could always do something like this...cheep and easy....

murilstone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #15
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I like that! I would move the radio up to the top of the dash, but that is much more of what I want. I just dislike the YJ setup.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.