Will this skid plate fit on my 92 YJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Will this skid plate fit on my 92 YJ?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-14-2011, 07:27 AM   #1
zoltan
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Will this skid plate fit on my 92 YJ?

I want to replace the gas tank skid plate on my 1992 YJ. I'd really like to put a stainless one on so I don't need to worry about it rusting. I found one made by Kentrol, but it says it only fits 87-90 YJs. Does anyone know what the difference is between the 87-90 YJ and my 92? Would it fit my 92? Would it be easy to make it fit?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12518_8000.htm
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/kentrol...ate-30539.html

zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 07:53 AM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

1990 and older 6cyl had a metal tank, most of them 15 gallons. Everything was poly after that with an internal fuel pump. The 4 cyl already had poly but maybe the size changed there too.

Stainless is softer than normal steel and will offer less protection. If you are worried about rust drill a few drain holes in a new skid and put a few coats of paint on it. The one you have now has lasted 20 years.

Personally I would use the opportunity to get something with serious armor.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 08:07 AM   #3
YJDave
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I went with the Warrior Products Gas Tank Skid Plate. Thicker steel and powder coated. I wouldn't trust that flimsy stainless version.
YJDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.