will not crank and busted shock mount - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > will not crank and busted shock mount

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJClayton Off Road JK Long Arm Upgrade Kits!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
b2super
1993 YJ Wrangler 

will not crank and busted shock mount

yesterday I took off the top and doors and took her for a spin. came home put her back together, started her up and put her to bed. today I go out to start her up and NFG, nada. I don't get nothing but one click, I think that's the relay. I jump pos-neg on starter all she does is spin, no engagement. I'm going to check battery strength now. maybe left the glove open and battery is weak, gave a good spark when jumped though. will take a picture of mount.

b2super is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
b2super
1993 YJ Wrangler 

12.4 v battery, 12.4 v on starter posts.
dscf0297.jpg  
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
b2super
1993 YJ Wrangler 

replaced starter, no good. looking at starter relay. was able to engage engine.
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2super View Post
replaced starter, no good. looking at starter relay. was able to engage engine.
- not sure what that means.

What voltage do you observe on the brown wire on the starter while trying to start? This is the feed voltage for the solenoid coming from the start relay. If nothing, this could also be explained by fuse F4 40amp in the PDC.
If fuse is good and no voltage at the solenoid then check yellow wire for voltage to the starter relay as this is the coil supply voltage coming off of the ignition switch. Beyond that I see you live in the rust belt were I grew up. Hopefully your shock mount is the least of your rust issues and that the frame is healthy enough to weld on a new mount.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
OhMY95yj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like maybe the ignition trigger fell off the solenoid.
OhMY95yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
b2super
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I replaced the starter because I thought it was acting up and finally went. This did not nothing but bruise my wallet. starter relay looked somewhat dirty, and slightly corroded so another bruise, again nothing. when saying was able to engage engine, I mean by crossing the solenoid. waiting for someone to come home so I can check brown wire.
Unread 06-17-2013, 03:35 PM   #7
OhMY95yj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sometimes the ignition switch on the column comes out of adjustment. You are on the right track check voltage to start eliminating parts. Also check the firewall connector.
OhMY95yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #8
b2super
1993 YJ Wrangler 

OhMY you are the man. when you said it I remember that the collar came off the steering wheel when taking off the top. I dropped the steering wheel and saw that the rod was slightly bent. I knew that because of where the dust was. readjusted and presto back in business. it really stunk that I replaced the starter but it was going anyway. now to the shock. there is a guy that buys and chops up jeeps and sells for parts$. going over there tomorrow and maybe he can do something for me. I am wondering, how much would someone charge to repair the mount? I know I saw a replacement for about $30, but for welding?
Unread 06-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #9
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2super View Post
OhMY you are the man. when you said it I remember that the collar came off the steering wheel when taking off the top. I dropped the steering wheel and saw that the rod was slightly bent. I knew that because of where the dust was. readjusted and presto back in business. it really stunk that I replaced the starter but it was going anyway. now to the shock. there is a guy that buys and chops up jeeps and sells for parts$. going over there tomorrow and maybe he can do something for me. I am wondering, how much would someone charge to repair the mount? I know I saw a replacement for about $30, but for welding?
Awesome, thanks for reporting back the fix. I hope your frame is in good enough condition to weld on a new shock mount. I've seen much worse get repaired in the past so hopefully this is not an issue.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #10
b2super
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I found a shop to do my mounts. I thought about doing it myself, only for a sec, maybe 2. I found a shop called the jeep guy. $300 + parts. I thought I could do the passenger side but I need both. the drivers side has fuel and brake lines, plus very close to tank, I 'll spend the $300 and know that its done by a guy who has done this a hundred times. parts s/b coming in soon. I'll keep you posted.
Unread 08-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #11
b2super
1993 YJ Wrangler 

all set. the Jeepguy needed to weld a plate were the shock mount went. looks great and good as new. price total was $300.00 he need to charge more because of the plate. I'm happy, thanks guys.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.