JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   will a new motor help my love life? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/will-new-motor-help-my-love-life-1431020/)

riverhippy 10-24-2012 08:36 AM

will a new motor help my love life?

i bought an ax15 to put behind my 2.5. the 2.5 has been rebuilt except for camshaft and bearings. the kit to fit the ax15 costs $442 the inline 4liter with 150,000 miles costs $300.

it has a lifter tick in no 6. are there any propeller blades im walking into? im not too worried about the swap but don't know much about the motors longevity or reliability. any input will be appreciated.

Anticanman 10-24-2012 08:54 AM

It's a jeep. You're always trading one problem for another predicament. Personally, I would rather have potential than a dead end street especially if you're already subconsciously going to do it anyway. I mean, c'mon. You know you wanted the 4.0 from the beginning!

Also you should factor in the sale of the 2.5 into the equation because those numbers are all that matter when the job is done. At least to the bikini clad vixen in your profile.

riverhippy 10-24-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anticanman (Post 14350685)
It's a jeep. You're always trading one problem for another predicament. Personally, I would rather have potential than a dead end street especially if you're already subconsciously going to do it anyway. I mean, c'mon. You know you wanted the 4.0 from the beginning!

Also you should factor in the sale of the 2.5 into the equation because those numbers are all that matter when the job is done. At least to the bikini clad vixen in your profile.

ill have to tell my girl shes a "vixen"...haha. the vixen really does dress the jeep up nicely.

pete1991YJ 10-24-2012 06:50 PM

On any engine that I ever bought, I always insist on seeing or hearing it run first, in person if I can. Otherwise itsa just a pile of parts to me. Unless I know the seller personally real good.

That said, it could be easier way to go for your AX15 swap. The motor swap does require a lot of attention to details (wiring) and weld new engine mounts.

riverhippy 10-24-2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete1991YJ (Post 14353629)
On any engine that I ever bought, I always insist on seeing or hearing it run first, in person if I can. Otherwise itsa just a pile of parts to me. Unless I know the seller personally real good.

That said, it could be easier way to go for your AX15 swap. The motor swap does require a lot of attention to details (wiring) and weld new engine mounts.

welding new engine mounts?

pete1991YJ 10-24-2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riverhippy (Post 14354195)

The 6-cyl has them in a different spot on the frame - farther forward. Which means cutting them off the frame and re-welding them in the right spot for the new motor.

rambo3489 10-25-2012 09:54 PM

I say go big or go home when it comes to my Jeep. I personally would get the 4.0L and see what happens. Actually I would get both. and mate the ax-15 to the 4.0L. It's 300 bucks you would loose out on with the 4.0 if it goes south. It will probably be good enough to last you though. I've seen some crazy sounding Jeeps that keep on chugging. Literally. Plus you can sell you 2.5 for lets say 200. A 4.0L for $100. Sounds good to me.

A lot of work ahead tho, especially if things go wrong. But I would do as stated. Just to get more out of the old girl when things get dirty.

Anticanman 10-25-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riverhippy (Post 14352036)
ill have to tell my girl shes a "vixen"...haha. the vixen really does dress the jeep up nicely.

Female fox. Just a friendly compliment. :D

riverhippy 10-26-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riverhippy (Post 14352036)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anticanman (Post 14350685)

Quote:

Originally Posted by riverhippy (Post 14354195)

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete1991YJ (Post 14354713)
The 6-cyl has them in a different spot on the frame - farther forward. Which means cutting them off the frame and re-welding them in the right spot for the new motor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anticanman (Post 14359796)
Female fox. Just a friendly compliment. :D

ok....im jumpin off...gonna start a new thread for the motoswap

The time now is 10:16 PM.