will this make my lift sag? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > will this make my lift sag?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-17-2011, 11:05 AM   #1
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

will this make my lift sag?

Hey guys new to the forum sorry if this has been covered but, I have recently installed a rough country 4" lift and was wondering if having my 6k lb winch and brush guard on front will cause me any premature sagging.

Thanks for the opinions

bogleparsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 11:21 AM   #2
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Define premature sagging.... The Rough Country lifts are well known for sagging with out any additional weight on them. And not even sagging evenly. There are pics on this forum of one spring sagging and it having a "pimp lean" to it.

I would expect it to sag but not due to your winch and brush guard, but rather because of the springs are from RC. Not trying to bash you, or what you bought, just giving the real world expectations of RC springs. There is a reason they can sell an entire lift kit for less than the cost of good springs like BDS (this is not Black Diamond Suspension) or Old Man Emu. When it comes to springs you really do get what you pay for. buy the least expensive kit, and you will get springs that are the least expensive to manufacture.
My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
R3V413
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmyj View Post
Define premature sagging.... The Rough Country lifts are well known for sagging with out any additional weight on them. And not even sagging evenly. There are pics on this forum of one spring sagging and it having a "pimp lean" to it.

I would expect it to sag but not due to your winch and brush guard, but rather because of the springs are from RC. Not trying to bash you, or what you bought, just giving the real world expectations of RC springs. There is a reason they can sell an entire lift kit for less than the cost of good springs like BDS (this is not Black Diamond Suspension) or Old Man Emu. When it comes to springs you really do get what you pay for. buy the least expensive kit, and you will get springs that are the least expensive to manufacture.

Btw welcome to the Forums
R3V413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 11:33 AM   #4
dtn8tr
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Do the install, then if/when it sags down the road, go get good springs. Welcome to the group!

Most good stories start out "Y'all ain't gonna believe this ****...."
dtn8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Haha great.

O well at least if / when the springs get a pimp lean it won't be because of the winch/ guard.

P.S. can't you guys just lie to me and say everything will be OK like my wife does?
Unread 08-17-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

lol, nope. like anything else you get what you pay for. the RC springs will sag on their own. a small winch and brush guard will likely speed the process up a little, but not a lot. BTW, a 6k winch really isn't big enough for a YJ. 8k is the minimum really. that 6k probably won't get you out of a really tough stuck.
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
dtn8tr
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, dear...everything will be fine, I promise!

Most good stories start out "Y'all ain't gonna believe this ****...."
dtn8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 01:06 PM   #8
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Take this opportunity to explain to your wife she needs to allow more Jeep funds, blah, blah, blah, if she would've only let you get the better springs to start with, blah, blah, blah.....
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 01:13 PM   #9
sebastian22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

ill tell you from experience...i put an 8k winch on my RC lift and it sagged a little bit but it was not all that bad. the rear is what really sagged for me after putting on a tire carrier and 33" spare tire. assuming you have enough space between your tires and fenders, you will most likely be fine and not notice too much lost lift. if you do lose more than you like, you can always get a 1/2" to 5/8" lift shackle to make up the difference.
Unread 08-18-2011, 05:36 AM   #10
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

I went with the 6k winch because of course it was budget friendly, I figure if i get stuck and the winch with a snatch block won't get me out I must really be having some fun!

As far as the sag goes I think sebastian22's idea is ok with me, I have some options with shackles, body lift ect.

This forum is a wealth of knowledge, and i'm glad to participate.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.