Will I really get performance gains from a 4.0tb? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Will I really get performance gains from a 4.0tb?

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 08-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
Getdirtyoffroad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Will I really get performance gains from a 4.0tb?

And how much? I have a 95 YJ 2.5L. Is there something online that I can read or watch to show install?

Thanks...

Unread 08-06-2011, 02:27 PM   #2
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You don't really need a video to learn how to install it. Just unplug the wiring harness plugs and take out the 4 bolts and remove the TB. Then take the 2 sensors off (the IAC and TPS) and put them on your 4.0 TB. Then bolt it on and plug the wires back in.

Oh I forgot about the throttle cable too. Jut pop it off and on.

I did notice more power on the highway at higher speeds. It helps in the higher RPM's. And I can make it further on uphill stretches without having to downshift. It is easier to keep up with highway speed trafic. But it's not going to make that much of a difference. Just enough to notice. I still struggle on the highway. Just not as much. I used to go 55-60 to keep from having to floow it and downshift ever minute or so. Now I go 65-70. So it does help a little bit. I still ahve to really fight it to keep up with 75 MPH traffic. And passing is tricky because there is still not much room for acceleration. It just stops the deceleration from being so bad...

In town and off road (lower RPM situations) there was no difference that I could notice. Just on the highway.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #3
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

^Your bigger tires offset the speedometer, unless you put a new speedo gear in. At 65mph you should be reading something like 55-56mph on your speedometer. At 65 on your speedometer you're really doing 76mph. And at 75 on your speedometer, your flux capacitor will discharge sending you into another time zone.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2011, 04:31 PM   #4
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
^Your bigger tires offset the speedometer, unless you put a new speedo gear in. At 65mph you should be reading something like 55-56mph on your speedometer. At 65 on your speedometer you're really doing 76mph. And at 75 on your speedometer, your flux capacitor will discharge sending you into another time zone.
I use a GPS speedometer most of the time if I'm on the highway. It also helps offset any disturbance by the flux capacator.

I've had it over 100 MPH before I realized how much the speedometer was off. It was NOT a smooth ride and did NOT feel safe in any way. Now I stick to about 10 under the speed limit on the highway unless I'm passing (or trying to pass).

My build thread...
Unread 08-06-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
Getdirtyoffroad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Speedo corrected... Stay on topic people ...Throttle Body upgrade...
Unread 08-06-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
sbsg2005
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Don't forget the 4.0 throttle body is a bigger bore so unless you match the bore in the intake to the bore in the throttle body you will likely see no gains. There is a forum that is dedicated to 4 banger Jeeps and I did alot of reading on this swap and some felt gains and some didn't. I did but it may a been an accumulation of gains from the header, full exhaust, injectors, throttle body spacer, throttle body, and adjustable fuel pressure regulator. But I got everything for free or close to it. The gains I have seen wouldn't warrant me to go spend the cash on all the crap if I had to do it again and had to pay for items above.
sbsg2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2011, 07:37 AM   #7
hesserdude07
1993 YJ Wrangler 

when i had my 2.5, i noticed positive gains from the 4.0 TB. But as stated above, i also had injectors, pace setter header and full exhaust and a intake. I always had plenty of power to turn my 35s on stock 4.10 gears, and could still do 70-75 on the highway without much problem... i only swapped motors after i blew my 2.5 up.
Unread 08-08-2011, 11:14 AM   #8
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsg2005 View Post
Don't forget the 4.0 throttle body is a bigger bore so unless you match the bore in the intake to the bore in the throttle body you will likely see no gains.
Hmm, I thought that the opening in the 2.5 intake was bigger than the 2.5's TB opening. So swapping a 4.0 TB on withh just match the size...

I could be wrong. Btu I never bored anything. I also never measured. Maybe I should.

My build thread...
Unread 08-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #9
nzpete
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I didn't notice much, to be honest.
I am able to do machine work at my house, so I purchased the 4.0 throttle body and machined it to 60mm straight through. Throttle response seems to be a bit quicker and a bit more sensitive, but I didn't get any noticeable power gain. I don't know if I'd spend a lot of money on the conversion, and because I can do the machine work it was only 10 or 15 bucks for a used throttle body and about an hour's worth of work total to try it out.
Another area that one hears about is the throttle body spacer. I have a piece of aluminum chucked up in the lathe right now, but only making one out of curiosity. I really don't expect much from it, though.
I think we get sucked into all the "snake oil" because of some silly sense of need from a lack of power from a 4 cylinder. C'mon folks, in the end it is a 4 cylinder and it is what it is.
nzpete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2011, 11:51 AM   #10
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzpete View Post
I didn't notice much, to be honest.
I am able to do machine work at my house, so I purchased the 4.0 throttle body and machined it to 60mm straight through. Throttle response seems to be a bit quicker and a bit more sensitive, but I didn't get any noticeable power gain. I don't know if I'd spend a lot of money on the conversion, and because I can do the machine work it was only 10 or 15 bucks for a used throttle body and about an hour's worth of work total to try it out.
Another area that one hears about is the throttle body spacer. I have a piece of aluminum chucked up in the lathe right now, but only making one out of curiosity. I really don't expect much from it, though.
I think we get sucked into all the "snake oil" because of some silly sense of need from a lack of power from a 4 cylinder. C'mon folks, in the end it is a 4 cylinder and it is what it is.
The spacer can't do anything on your 95 model. It's MPI. So the gas and air don't mix in the TB so the spacer won't do squat. On a TBI setup it gives mroe time for the gas and air to mix for a more uniform mixture. But with your setup it will only give the air more time to travel by itself after the TB. Which is itself cannot really do anything. Some people claim that the spacers with the spiral in them allow mroe air to get in because of chanign the pressure or somethign like that. But I wouldn't bet on it.

If you have a TBI system though, the spacer MAY help.

My build thread...
Unread 08-08-2011, 11:57 AM   #11
nzpete
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
The spacer can't do anything on your 95 model. It's MPI. So the gas and air don't mix in the TB so the spacer won't do squat. On a TBI setup it gives mroe time for the gas and air to mix for a more uniform mixture. But with your setup it will only give the air more time to travel by itself after the TB. Which is itself cannot really do anything. Some people claim that the spacers with the spiral in them allow mroe air to get in because of chanign the pressure or somethign like that. But I wouldn't bet on it.

If you have a TBI system though, the spacer MAY help.
Yes, but the claims are out there that it will.
My point is that most of this is "snake oil", and the only reason I don't mind trying is because I can make the components myself. I lose a little time, but not a whole lot of money, and this is a hobby, right? )
If I actually had to pay the money that some folks do for the throttle body and the spacer, I would pass.
nzpete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2011, 12:11 PM   #12
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

In my experienc on my 02 tj with the 2.5. I added a 4.0 tb, tb spacer and intake. I got an 8 hp gain on a mustang dyno. The average is between 6-8 depending on how healthy your motor is to begin with. The best result was when using the the tb spacer, 4.0 tb and intake, they worked together in a system. Most times the spacer adds nothing, but with this application, the spacer was good for 2hp when added with the tb and intake on the jeep 2.5. 8 hp isn't alot, but on the puney 2.5 it makes a noticable difference in throttle response. With a catback and header you can get 10-12 total hp bump. It's a chunk of money for only 12 hp, but on the 2.5 you need every hp you can get.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2011, 12:12 PM   #13
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
My point is that most of this is "snake oil", and the only reason I don't mind trying is because I can make the components myself. I lose a little time, but not a whole lot of money, and this is a hobby, right? )
If I actually had to pay the money that some folks do for the throttle body and the spacer, I would pass.
I couldn't agree more.

My build thread...
Unread 08-08-2011, 12:42 PM   #14
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Honestly it's not going to work on a system that uses multi-port injection.

Throttle body spacers only work when the fuel and air can be mixed directly inside of the throttle body spacer chamber, so that is why you basically won't see gains with your setup, because all it is going to do is stir the air a bit, which then is dissipated by the bends inside of the intake.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2011, 03:13 PM   #15
Getdirtyoffroad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Think I'll hit the junk yards and look for a throttle body...cheap clean it up and stick it in...see what happens...already have the spacer on the stock tb. Thanks everyone...won't cost me but a couple of bucks for this upgrade, what the heck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.