will it flip? and trans prob - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > will it flip? and trans prob

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 04-12-2010, 07:38 PM   #1
celticluck713
1994 YJ Wrangler 

will it flip? and trans prob

i was just wondering the chances of your jeep flipping i want to lift mine 4" at the most and all hear from my mom is its gonna flip just wanted to hear what you guys thought always get the best advice here also the trans is siting on a plate ? or so it seems and the plate is rusting out where can i get a new one or how should i fix it
thanks!

celticluck713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 08:07 PM   #2
I8AHUMR
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I run 4.5" and have never flipped it. lol... Obviously don't drive it like a bat out of $%&@.

That plate is the skid plate and holds up the drivetrain. How bad is it rusting and where?

05 WK, 5.7 Hemi, Quadra-Drive II
I8AHUMR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I've worked crashes with Corvette's on their tops, those aren't exactly high center of gravity vehicles. Point is driving like a jack *** is how you end up on the top, not having a lift. But if Mom's paying for it, I guess she's got the final say.

BTW, I'm not saying that everyone who rolls was being a jack ***, offroad situations are different, but that doesn't sound like what you were talking about.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 08:17 PM   #4
celticluck713
1994 YJ Wrangler 

yeah your right i would like to get into some offroading but dont exactly have time right now with school and sports i was gonna get rims and tires but if i do a lift in the future dont wanna have small tires so i was thinking lift first then tires and as for the skid plate its rusted dead center and is kinda rigged up right now dillema is i have a 94 yj and the rust is obviously a problem and mom keeps saying stuff about the rust and how it looks like crap
celticluck713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 08:45 PM   #5
I8AHUMR
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You say it's rigged up... Sounds like it's temp fixed and it's bad enough so that it should be replaced. If so, you should just shop around with google since there's aftermarket ones out there. Or try a junkyard to save some $$$'s.

Maybe you could post a pic so you can get more educated advice?

05 WK, 5.7 Hemi, Quadra-Drive II
I8AHUMR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 09:12 PM   #6
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Will it flip? Yup, I flipped my old one. But then again, it fell off a waterfall. However, I recovered a Jeep Liberty, completely stock, that flipped on a wet road when the jagoff driving was driving it like a vette (corvette, not chevette). Other vehicles I have recovered that were on their lids, chevy astro van, peterbuilt dump truck, mass transit bus, chevy impala, forklift, etc etc. Given the chance, I'm pretty sure I could flop a Smart Car on pavement if I tried hard enough.

Every vehicle on the road can be flipped under certain circumstances, even in stock form. Hell, mine fell off the waterfall and flipped when it wasn't even moving. Now, if you lift your jeep are you going to come out some morning and find it on its roof in the driveway like a playful puppy? No. Is just going fall over going around a bend? No. Going around the same bend at 100mph? Maybe.

Its a jeep, if you drive it like a jeep, it won't be flipping everytime a dog farts towards it.

If they did flip that easily, how long do you think it would take the media to run a week long special on the "convertable coffins being sold by chrysler"? What about the children? Save the children!!!

They are perfectly safe. Even when wheeling, your a$$ will pucker up tighter than a gerbils behind long before it actually flops.
My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 09:35 PM   #7
bernm8r
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Celticluck,
Welcome to the forum, lots of good advice here. I bought mine from a guy that collects them up in Wappingers fall NY. You can always craigslist search should find a good used one for $70-100 the after market ones are NICE but pretty pricey and mostly do the tummy tuck. I have my old one but it is pretty rusty on the sides. Are you in any club? if not take a look for a local 4x4 club some guy may have one laying around from his mods.
Anyway good luck and yea being young and in a jeep might make your mom nervous but she would be no matter what you drive.
bernm8r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 10:21 PM   #8
mario figueroa
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Jeeps don't flip,people do.
mario figueroa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 10:23 PM   #9
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

It's the pilot not the plane. Every vehicle can flip, and that chance is increase when you're off camber. Lifting it 4" won't make you flip it, but if you hit every obstacle from the side and hammer down on it you're going to flip it no matter how much lift you're running.

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
provinT13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.