will cable driven slip yoke work with electronic speedometer? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > will cable driven slip yoke work with electronic speedometer?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 10-19-2009, 10:04 PM   #1
nnojeeps

will cable driven slip yoke work with electronic speedometer?

I found an '87 YJ at the junk yard with a SYE. I want to place it on a '92 YJ that I have. Will this work or will the cable speedometer be a problem? I have an electrical speedometer.

nnojeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 10:08 PM   #2
Gobi_Gred
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The SYE should'nt affect the speedo at all. Did you do a 4.0 swap? I'm not sure I have ever heard of a digital speedo in an 87. Is it aftermarket?
Gobi_Gred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 10:13 PM   #3
nnojeeps

The '87 YJ is a cable driven speedometer. My '92 YJ has an electric pickup for the speedometer. Will the electrical work with this application?
nnojeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 10:35 PM   #4
Gobi_Gred
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Duh! helps when I actually READ what you wrote.The SYE should not affect your Speedo pickup. I am assuming they are both 242s If it your pickup bolts up the new TC it should work.
Gobi_Gred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 10:49 PM   #5
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NebraskaDizasta View Post
Duh! helps when I actually READ what you wrote.The SYE should not affect your Speedo pickup. I am assuming they are both 242s If it your pickup bolts up the new TC it should work.
I think you mean 231s, the 242 is a part time/full time case used in XJs, ZJs & WJs.

OP, look closely at the '87 T-case. Most '87s came with NP 207 cases.

Here is some info from the FAQs:

Transfer Cases

The transfer cases used are all chain driven with aluminum housings. NP stands for "New Process" which is the brand, if you will.

NP207 - "Command-Trac" part-time only - 2.61:1 ratio low range - only in 87
NP231 - "Command-Trac" part-time only - 2.72:1 ratio low range - shift pattern 2H - 4H - N - 4L - used '88-'95

Link to FAQ
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/y...-specs-563403/

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.