Will a AMC 318 fit onto TF999??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Will a AMC 318 fit onto TF999???

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-11-2006, 02:27 PM   #1
Kimoscout

Will a AMC 318 fit onto TF999???

Talking with one of the guys and he suggested trying a 318 from a Cherokee to bolt onto my 87YJ with a TF999 auto tranny. Any suggestions or info.

Kimoscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2006, 07:01 PM   #2
Cobra Jeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

NO. The 318 (5.2L) used in the ZJ's are not AMC engines, they are mopar (dodge) engines and will not bolt up to your YJ's transmission. If you want a V8 that will bolt up to your trans (that I am assumeing was bolted to a 258) you will need to find a AMC 360 from a 91 or older Grand WAGONEER. Those are AMC engines and share the same trans bolt pattern as the 258. Any V8's in jeeps past 91 will be a mopar engine and will not work. Yes some of the later ZJ's came with 360's (5.9L) but they are also mopar engines, and share NOTHING with the AMC 360's other than the displacement. Hope this helps.

'79 Cherokee Chief, 401 MPFI fuel injection, T-18/D-20 and hydroboost. Otherwise stock.
Future mods: NV4500, NP205, high pinion D60 front and smooth bottom D60 rear, e-lockers front & rear. SOA with 35X12.50's
Cobra Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2006, 08:34 PM   #3
Kimoscout

Thanks for the input. After some toolin around on the net, I think I came to the same conclusion that the 318 wouldn't bolt up in place of my 258. I was considering a 304, but they have been reputed to be lacking in power. The 360 sounds nice, how about motor mounts?
Kimoscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2006, 06:13 PM   #4
Cobra Jeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

As for motor mounts you will have to cut your old ones off the frame and make some new ones. I think advance adapters has some pre made motor mounts to put a AMC V8 into a YJ. Just one thing to remember about AMC V8's. The flywheels and flex plates are NOT interchangeable. They are all balanced diffrently, so if you were to bolt a flex plate from a 304 on to a 360 (or vice versa) you would be sending it to a early grave. Whatever AMC engine you choose make sure you get the right flywheel. Also the same goes for the harmonic balancers, if the engine you get happens to be missing it, make sure you get the right one.

'79 Cherokee Chief, 401 MPFI fuel injection, T-18/D-20 and hydroboost. Otherwise stock.
Future mods: NV4500, NP205, high pinion D60 front and smooth bottom D60 rear, e-lockers front & rear. SOA with 35X12.50's
Cobra Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2006, 08:16 AM   #5
jeepnguns

I do not know if it is true or not but I have heard the AMC 360 and 304 will bolt into the 258 engine mounts.
Dana 44s Detroits w/ 5.89s
38" Swamper SX
Lots of other random things and dents
jeepnguns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.