Will .06" SP gap cause harm? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Will .06" SP gap cause harm?

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-07-2002, 09:33 PM   #1
Matt Bodnar

Will .06" SP gap cause harm?

ok,..I got the 4.2 with the carb,..and I got to the point that I I would loose speed and power in 5th. then it would flood cause it had no power .
So I got a HEI coil from an 1985 GM 2.5l motor,(that I had laying around)..and replaced the tin can one.
Then the gapping 4 that motor sayz .06", so I gapped mine to that also.
I had the TFI base and large cap but switched to the stocker again.
I test drove it and it starts better and runs better too,..with more acceleration .
I am wondering if the increaced gap will harm the motor?
it should just lower performance,..right?
but it didn't so will it be ok untill I get the TFI coil and switch it all over?
thanks
Matt

Matt Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2002, 01:08 AM   #2
jeffy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I don't see a problem. If the engine runs fine then go with it. Typically when you fo things like a MSD or Jacobs you can widen the gap. Basically adding HEI is the same thing. If the gap is too wide then it won't arc and fire the cylinder.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.