Wierd Turn Signal and Brake light issue,,,, - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Wierd Turn Signal and Brake light issue,,,,

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 04-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
Robob69

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wierd Turn Signal and Brake light issue,,,,

OK this is strange...

Tonight I am driving and I am loving my LED Tail/Brake light Upgrade when I look back at a stop sign and I notice that my Left Brake light is out...
So. I get to the next stop sign where again I am turning right and I see that my Left Stop Light is on until I turn my Right Turn Signal on... Now I turn my Left signal on and the Right Brake light stays on...

Do I have a Turn Signal Switch gone out?

This may have been going on forever and I never knew because the freaking OEM lights were so dim you had to use a flashlight to see if they were working,,

Robob69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 10:04 PM   #2
Robob69

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Anybody have a clue?
Unread 04-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #3
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have enough resistance to trip your blinker relay? If you don't, it'll do what you're describing. If you do have enough resistance, it's most likely a ground issue.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 11:09 PM   #4
dhunt09
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm having a similar issue where my left brake light will only work if the left turn signal has been engaged and will work normally until the right signal is used.

I'm sure they're related issues so I'll be following along!
dhunt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 09:01 AM   #5
Robob69

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I replaced the flasher with an electronic flasher. The right side works perfect. Only the left side will do this..
Unread 04-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #6
BretB
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantYJ View Post
Do you have enough resistance to trip your blinker relay? If you don't, it'll do what you're describing. If you do have enough resistance, it's most likely a ground issue.
^^This is a very common cause written about.
The variance in your symptoms is odd, but I want to add my .02 on signal experience and LEDs:

Before I added LED's, I had issue of using my turn signal, it would remain solidly lit, and turned out I just had a front bulb burned out - so check all your bulbs first.

I will add, though, that I never addressed the resistance issue and only issue is a split second delay in the turn signal activating now... guess I lucked out.
2000 TJ (wife's)
BretB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #7
Robob69

1995 YJ Wrangler 

All bulbs are good. Everything is now LED but the front parking/turn signals only bc I have not gotten them in yet. The turn signal works perfect... just that I have no brake light in that side when the right signal is on..... Strange..
Unread 04-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #8
b_a_mech
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Id have to see the wires to be sure but it sounds like either a ground issue or if your lights had two or three wires coming for hook up. If it had two then it is not a dual setup...meaning when you put your turn signal on it flashes only.
If it has three wires it is a dual and when you put the turn signal on it flashes but light stays on just gets brighter for the turn indication....does that make sence?? Its always easier for me to see it to know for sure...I just changed over to LED and had to swap wires around after first power up....
BUILT NOT BOUGHT #602 / ZOMBIE RESPONSE TEAM #40 / USN HULL #196
b_a_mech is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.