wierd steering issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > wierd steering issue

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-20-2006, 01:07 PM   #1
toates89
1989 XJ Cherokee 

wierd steering issue

89 4.2 power steering. the problem is it is harder to steer and doesnt straighten out after turn. its been like this for 3 weeks yesterday it went back to normal today it was hard and i have a squecky belt. i greased all joints belt is tight and power steering pump is pumping fluids

any ideas

could my belt be slipping

toates89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2006, 08:50 PM   #2
toates89
1989 XJ Cherokee 

bump please
Unread 10-20-2006, 09:43 PM   #3
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toates89
89 4.2 power steering. the problem is it is harder to steer and doesnt straighten out after turn. its been like this for 3 weeks yesterday it went back to normal today it was hard and i have a squecky belt. i greased all joints belt is tight and power steering pump is pumping fluids

any ideas

could my belt be slipping
I'm no expert, but did you check the resevoir to see if the pump is actually pumping?
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2006, 08:46 AM   #4
toates89
1989 XJ Cherokee 

yea its pumping i took the hose off and ran it and it pumped fluid
Unread 10-21-2006, 08:52 AM   #5
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B
I'm no expert, but did you check the resevoir to see if the pump is actually pumping?
Sorry about that. I guess I didn't read your whole post last night. The pump has a relief valve that may be clogged. You could clean that out and put in fresh fluid. That would be the easiest thing to do first.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Mr.B; 10-21-2006 at 09:56 PM..
Unread 10-21-2006, 09:49 AM   #6
BigMikey

Perhaps it may be your steering box....like mine
BigMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2006, 09:53 PM   #7
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

Steering box... replaced mine after I had similar conditions and its been good ever since.

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2006, 09:57 PM   #8
toates89
1989 XJ Cherokee 

but why was it good for 24 hours and then not good the next day and where is this releif valve of which you speak
Unread 10-22-2006, 10:28 AM   #9
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toates89
but why was it good for 24 hours and then not good the next day and where is this releif valve of which you speak
Like I said before, I'm no expert on the subject. I just installed power steering on my Jeep last week. One of the brochures that came with my pump from Napa, talks about the relief valve. It says that it may get clogged from contamination. The valve looks like it is the part that the pressure hose screws into. It looks like it can be unscrewed from the pump. The picture shows an O ring and a spring inside, so be careful if you pull it out. Maybe someone withsome first hand knowledge will post.

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 10-22-2006, 10:54 AM   #10
toates89
1989 XJ Cherokee 

i will try and google this releif valve
Unread 10-22-2006, 07:25 PM   #11
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

It's duirty fluid more than likely

Take the low pressure side off, place in a bucket and run 3-4 quarts through it with motor running. It'll flush out al the old gung, chunks and stuff.

Refill and bleed, it'll be good as new.
Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2006, 07:33 PM   #12
toates89
1989 XJ Cherokee 

i already flushed it and no good

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.