Wierd Brake Issue . . . - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Wierd Brake Issue . . .

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 10-30-2010, 11:09 AM   #1
YJ Newby

Wierd Brake Issue . . .

I recently changed the front brakes on my '90 YJ and completely bled the lines [Bled into a clear beer bottle until the new, clear fluid I was adding to the master came through]. I never really had tight brakes since then. Now, in the past week or so, there is absolutely no resistance when applying the brakes until the pedal is depressed almost half way. At that point I really have to mash down on them to get good stopping power. The wierder part [is that a word?], is that I do not have brake lights until I have pressed down beyond the "spongy" period and start getting resistance. Am I looking at a new Master Cylinder?

Thanks for your replies . . .

YJ Newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2010, 01:32 PM   #2
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I would try bleeding again. Did you change the calipers?? If so, just be sure the bleeder is to the bottom, they can be installed on the wrong sides and if the bleeder is on top, you will never get the air out.

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile_Homie View Post
I would try bleeding again. Did you change the calipers?? If so, just be sure the bleeder is to the bottom, they can be installed on the wrong sides and if the bleeder is on top, you will never get the air out.
The bleeder goes to the top so the air comes out. Air rises to the top of the master since the brake fluid is heavier then air. You then open the bleeder and push the air at the TOP out.

Bleeder screws to the top

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2010, 10:51 PM   #4
K4KAS
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Already stated above. A left caliper will install on the right side and vise verse. Ensure the caliper is installed with the bleeder screw to the top. They may have given you 2 of the same side caliper.
K4KAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2010, 08:30 AM   #5
MWT
1994 YJ Wrangler 

your master cylinder is bad.
MWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2010, 08:40 AM   #6
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWT View Post
your master cylinder is bad.

Not always the case. Could be air in the lines as well.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2010, 12:05 PM   #7
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Re-set the proportionating valve. Then re-bleed the system, start at back right wheel, end with front left.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.