wide open throttle switch problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > wide open throttle switch problem

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Steinjäger photo contest!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 07-01-2011, 02:00 PM   #1
InEmberClad
1989 YJ Wrangler 

wide open throttle switch problem

Hey guys,
Did some searching, found This thread and followed the steps detailed there. Turns out my wide open throttle switch is broken, and I have scoured the internet high and low trying to see if I can't find a new one, no luck so far...

Says here though that its just a normally open switch which closes the contacts when the throttle is all the way open, I feel like I could just buy a button at radioshack and mount it so that it does the same thing. Does anybody know if there might be any problems with that plan?

InEmberClad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
ctm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

go for it, and add the part # to this thread that you end up using
ctm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #3
89WhyJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by InEmberClad View Post
Says here though that its just a normally open switch which closes the contacts when the throttle is all the way open, I feel like I could just buy a button at radioshack and mount it so that it does the same thing. Does anybody know if there might be any problems with that plan?
Any updates? Did this work? My WOT switch needs replacing and I'm in the same boat.
89WhyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/.../83502749.html
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 07:34 PM   #5
89WhyJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Thanks Que!
Unread 03-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
ShArKtRaInEr
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone else know where to find one? The link above no longer stocks it. Much appreciated.
ShArKtRaInEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 08:20 AM   #7
89WhyJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I couldn't get it from the supplier either. I think I'm going to radio shack and pick up a simple SPDT level switch. In my case, the switch mechanically closes and won't mechanically re-open (like an electronic latch). Therefore, the engine always assumes a WOT condition and my engine runs rich (of course I have other failed sensors that are causing it to run rich too). I'm curious what the affects on performance would be if I just disconnected the WOT switch. Since its a normally open switch, an open connection wouldn't matter. Of course, if I needed to put the pedal down (going up a hill, or hitting a headwind), I wouldn't have that extra response from the injectors. Anyone got any thoughts?
Unread 03-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have looked and I can find a production source. I can't believe that it isn't sourced anywhere. A cherry switch should work but it will have to be mounted correctly. I am looking now too. Maybe we should try posting on the older XJ forum as well. They used the switch as well as the wagoneer.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #9
ShArKtRaInEr
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I got lucky. After giving up trying to find one, I freed mine up via squirting a shot of wd-40 at the pivot point and working it back and forth for a few minutes. Now it doesn't stay stuck in WOT anymore.
ShArKtRaInEr is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.