why won't a TJ top fit on YJ frame? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > why won't a TJ top fit on YJ frame?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-17-2011, 09:20 PM   #1
andybloch1
2004 TJ Wrangler 

why won't a TJ top fit on YJ frame?

I've read all the threads I can find both on JF, JP Magazine and Pirate but I still can't find out exactly why I cant weld the TJ soft top frame on to my YJ roll bar. Is it too wide, long etc.? I saw something about spreader bars being too long on my YJ but couldn't I cut them down? It seems like modifying my YJ bars would be easier than replacing the whole rollbar.

andybloch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
TheRobster
1997 ZJ 

You want to weld a soft top frame onto your roll bar???
I would try rethinking this. Perhaps you have not expressed yourself as you intended.

http://jeepyjwrangler.blogspot.com/
TheRobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 09:44 PM   #3
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well first off, if you weld it to the YJ you won't be able to put it down or remove the frame easily.

Main thing is the differences between the bodies and more importantly the roll cage and windshield frame. It just won't fit.

I never understand why exactly it is so many people want to try to put tops designed for other things on their rigs. Just get a YJ top and be done with I. It will go right on with no problems or modifications
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
andybloch1
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry for my lack clarification. I wish to weld the soft top frame mounts to my yj rollbar. My reason for wishing such, is that the tj soft top far exceeds the yj. I've had two tjs a yj and a Cj, and i yearn for the 2 min. Top exchange and the taught quality of the tj top. Additionally I have a new tj top and frame I would like to use.
Unread 08-18-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

my buddy has a tj top he got on CL and was told it was for a yj. its on his cj but only temporarily till he can afford a yj top...it fits like crap. i would just get a yj top. i agree the cj/yj tops can be a little annoying to put up but its really not a big deal and it fits and looks better
'79 CJ7 stock, 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_304_cj7 View Post
I used Marvel once before I took my Jeep out on the trails. I didn't get stuck all weekend so I guess it works.
SSG David Mejias, SSG Eric Vick, SGT William Bowling, SGT Robert McDowell
1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
RobsCrawlin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 04:15 PM   #6
Andywear
1991 YJ Wrangler 

why won't a TJ top fit on YJ frame?
Same reason your right shoe will not fit your left foot.

[I]Errrrrrr[/I], Will complain else where - &y
Andywear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
TheRobster
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybloch1 View Post
Additionally I have a new tj top and frame I would like to use.
I say give it a shot. You might be the one who figures out how to do it.

Who knows, maybe no one else has ever tried.

Unread 08-18-2011, 04:56 PM   #8
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Sorry for my lack clarification. I wish to weld the soft top frame mounts to my yj rollbar. My reason for wishing such, is that the tj soft top far exceeds the yj. I've had two tjs a yj and a Cj, and i yearn for the 2 min. Top exchange and the taught quality of the tj top. Additionally I have a new tj top and frame I would like to use.
Ok.

Couple of things here. I'm not sure how it all goes into a TJ but on a YJ the frame work is mounted to the tub, not the roll bar. I barely remember since I tossed mine in the trash so long ago, but there are aluminum rails tha get mounted to the top sides of the tub, corner rails to suck the back corners down, a tailgate bar on the tailgate, etc.

Next, as I said above the TJ body is different from the YJ body. The windshield being the biggest difference though I know the tub is a bit different as well. A TJ top will never fit as tightly on a YJ as it does on a TJ. The bodies are just too different to allow this to happen. TJ tops were designed and made to fit and work well on a TJ. YJ tops were designed and made to fit and work as well as the engineers could make it on a YJ. There are plentyof aftermarket tops out there. Some fit and work better than others. Shop around and find one you like that is MADE FOR A YJ!

I really don't get why everyone insists on trying to make tops workmon models they were not designed or intended to work on. We see these threads all the time for both hard and soft tops. There isn't a major price savings by trying to figureout how to make a top for another model fit yours so why do it? Just get a top for the model you own and be done wit it.
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
Unread 08-18-2011, 07:23 PM   #9
andybloch1
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Robster, aside from you everyone else seems to be really irked by this question while not offering anything constructive to the issue. I'll state my case a little more thoroughly.

Yj tops from the factory have a tuck under rail bolted to the tub rail. This is inferior to the TJ system because I need to remove it to put on my hard top. +1 for the TJ top.

Yj tops from the factory tuck under to the door surrounds while the YJ ones need to attach using a series of snaps. On the TJ top if you just leave this loose, it still has a snug fit (less wind flapping) while if you refrain from snapping the YJ top it buffets like a sail boat coming about. +2 +3 for the TJ top.

Tj tops attach to the windshield with a pressure fit where you simply clip two latches and you have a fit that is more snug than all of the grunting and groaning you can do to get the top in the windshield channel. And you can attach it to the windshield without climbing all over your JEEP like a monkey. +4 +5 for the TJ.

I guess after having such a well-designed, convenient top, and knowing it exists it is hard to swallow such an inferior design. Especially when the spirit of JeepForum is innovation and ingenuity. It seems as if most of you who replied are angry that I even mentioned it. That it is part of the YJ code that we should be happy with the PIA top because of some sort of nostalgic code of Yj honor. Personally I want the JEEP that speaks to me and that I like and if that is a YJ with a TJ style top so be it. I was looking for help and technical info which has been offered by no one.

I have no experience with the many aftermarket tops for the YJ. If I can sell my TJ top and get a YJ one that works as well I would be open to that option. However the thing that makes the TJ top so tight is the windshield hooks and since there are no holes in the YJ windshield to accommodate said hooks I doubt the aftermarket tops for the YJ are as good as the TJ.

Plus it might be fun to try. Lighten up guys.
andybloch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 07:32 PM   #10
TheRobster
1997 ZJ 

I think that thing about welding it on might have thrown people.
I say give it a shot. Carefully.
Try a loose, dry fit. See if it looks possible.
Go slowly, and try to keep a plan in mind to back out, just in case...

And most importantly... Take lots of pictures, and document everything. You might be on to something here.

I seem to remember someone putting a TJ hard top on a YJ, with some mods needed. So you might just be the first.

Unread 08-18-2011, 09:19 PM   #11
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

good luck. let us know how it turns out. I'm just trying to help you not waste time and a hell of a lot of money to find out it won't work. And I agree the YJ top design sucks. I wasn't denying that. Thats why I don't run one anymore. Just a Safari style bikini top and full soft doors. windjammer if its cold. And again, there is much more out there than the factory options. check out rampage tops (i think they were the company that made the cool fastback style tops)
Unread 08-18-2011, 10:24 PM   #12
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Thanks Robster, aside from you everyone else seems to be really irked by this question while not offering anything constructive to the issue. I'll state my case a little more thoroughly.

Yj tops from the factory have a tuck under rail bolted to the tub rail. This is inferior to the TJ system because I need to remove it to put on my hard top. +1 for the TJ top.

Yj tops from the factory tuck under to the door surrounds while the YJ ones need to attach using a series of snaps. On the TJ top if you just leave this loose, it still has a snug fit (less wind flapping) while if you refrain from snapping the YJ top it buffets like a sail boat coming about. +2 +3 for the TJ top.

Tj tops attach to the windshield with a pressure fit where you simply clip two latches and you have a fit that is more snug than all of the grunting and groaning you can do to get the top in the windshield channel. And you can attach it to the windshield without climbing all over your JEEP like a monkey. +4 +5 for the TJ.

I guess after having such a well-designed, convenient top, and knowing it exists it is hard to swallow such an inferior design. Especially when the spirit of JeepForum is innovation and ingenuity. It seems as if most of you who replied are angry that I even mentioned it. That it is part of the YJ code that we should be happy with the PIA top because of some sort of nostalgic code of Yj honor. Personally I want the JEEP that speaks to me and that I like and if that is a YJ with a TJ style top so be it. I was looking for help and technical info which has been offered by no one.

I have no experience with the many aftermarket tops for the YJ. If I can sell my TJ top and get a YJ one that works as well I would be open to that option. However the thing that makes the TJ top so tight is the windshield hooks and since there are no holes in the YJ windshield to accommodate said hooks I doubt the aftermarket tops for the YJ are as good as the TJ.

Plus it might be fun to try. Lighten up guys.
All of those pluses get tossed out because the fit on the yj with a tj top is worse than with a yj top.

There are aftermarket tops that work almost like you want.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 10:41 PM   #13
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Have you considered a Bestop Sunrider ? IIRC it will attach to the windshield frame simular to the TJ style
Unread 08-18-2011, 10:47 PM   #14
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
Have you considered a Bestop Sunrider ? IIRC it will attach to the windshield frame simular to the TJ style
It does and it takes me about 5 minutes to drop it, but I typically leave it up and just pull the windows so it's basically a safari top.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 11:45 PM   #15
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have a Best Top on mine. Takes 1 min to pull off the top, and then thanks to cotter pin quick disconnects, the cage can be removed in another minute and tucked into the back seat.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.