why won't a TJ top fit on YJ frame? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > why won't a TJ top fit on YJ frame?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Reply
Unread 08-17-2011, 09:20 PM   #1
andybloch1
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: bolton, massachusetts
Posts: 22
why won't a TJ top fit on YJ frame?

I've read all the threads I can find both on JF, JP Magazine and Pirate but I still can't find out exactly why I cant weld the TJ soft top frame on to my YJ roll bar. Is it too wide, long etc.? I saw something about spreader bars being too long on my YJ but couldn't I cut them down? It seems like modifying my YJ bars would be easier than replacing the whole rollbar.

andybloch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
TheRobster
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mission, BC Canada
Posts: 395
You want to weld a soft top frame onto your roll bar???
I would try rethinking this. Perhaps you have not expressed yourself as you intended.
__________________
Check out my cheep bastard Jeep mod blog.

http://jeepyjwrangler.blogspot.com/
TheRobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 09:44 PM   #3
92 Green YJ
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Spring Valley, San Diego, CA, California
Posts: 3,839
Well first off, if you weld it to the YJ you won't be able to put it down or remove the frame easily.

Main thing is the differences between the bodies and more importantly the roll cage and windshield frame. It just won't fit.

I never understand why exactly it is so many people want to try to put tops designed for other things on their rigs. Just get a YJ top and be done with I. It will go right on with no problems or modifications
__________________
92 YJ. High Output 4.0L
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
andybloch1
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: bolton, massachusetts
Posts: 22
Sorry for my lack clarification. I wish to weld the soft top frame mounts to my yj rollbar. My reason for wishing such, is that the tj soft top far exceeds the yj. I've had two tjs a yj and a Cj, and i yearn for the 2 min. Top exchange and the taught quality of the tj top. Additionally I have a new tj top and frame I would like to use.
__________________
Never ascribe to malice, that which can be explained by incompetence.
óNapoleon
andybloch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
RobsCrawlin7
no balls
 
RobsCrawlin7's Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Triangle, VA
Posts: 3,253
my buddy has a tj top he got on CL and was told it was for a yj. its on his cj but only temporarily till he can afford a yj top...it fits like crap. i would just get a yj top. i agree the cj/yj tops can be a little annoying to put up but its really not a big deal and it fits and looks better
__________________
'79 CJ7 PICS HERE specs in profile - SOLD
'01 TJ 4.7/NV3550, 4" lift 33's stroked
'98 Chili Pepper Red XJ Sport, 4.0, AX15, 4x4 3" lift, 31" AT's
'79 CJ7 stock, 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_304_cj7 View Post
I used Marvel once before I took my Jeep out on the trails. I didn't get stuck all weekend so I guess it works.
SSG David Mejias, SSG Eric Vick, SGT William Bowling, SGT Robert McDowell
1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
RobsCrawlin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 04:15 PM   #6
Andywear
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 1,247
why won't a TJ top fit on YJ frame?
Same reason your right shoe will not fit your left foot.
__________________
Used to have a good sig but Mod threated to ban me...


[I]Errrrrrr[/I], Will complain else where - &y
Andywear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
TheRobster
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mission, BC Canada
Posts: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybloch1 View Post
Additionally I have a new tj top and frame I would like to use.
I say give it a shot. You might be the one who figures out how to do it.

Who knows, maybe no one else has ever tried.
__________________
Check out my cheep bastard Jeep mod blog.

http://jeepyjwrangler.blogspot.com/
TheRobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 04:56 PM   #8
92 Green YJ
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Spring Valley, San Diego, CA, California
Posts: 3,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybloch1 View Post
Sorry for my lack clarification. I wish to weld the soft top frame mounts to my yj rollbar. My reason for wishing such, is that the tj soft top far exceeds the yj. I've had two tjs a yj and a Cj, and i yearn for the 2 min. Top exchange and the taught quality of the tj top. Additionally I have a new tj top and frame I would like to use.
Ok.

Couple of things here. I'm not sure how it all goes into a TJ but on a YJ the frame work is mounted to the tub, not the roll bar. I barely remember since I tossed mine in the trash so long ago, but there are aluminum rails tha get mounted to the top sides of the tub, corner rails to suck the back corners down, a tailgate bar on the tailgate, etc.

Next, as I said above the TJ body is different from the YJ body. The windshield being the biggest difference though I know the tub is a bit different as well. A TJ top will never fit as tightly on a YJ as it does on a TJ. The bodies are just too different to allow this to happen. TJ tops were designed and made to fit and work well on a TJ. YJ tops were designed and made to fit and work as well as the engineers could make it on a YJ. There are plentyof aftermarket tops out there. Some fit and work better than others. Shop around and find one you like that is MADE FOR A YJ!

I really don't get why everyone insists on trying to make tops workmon models they were not designed or intended to work on. We see these threads all the time for both hard and soft tops. There isn't a major price savings by trying to figureout how to make a top for another model fit yours so why do it? Just get a top for the model you own and be done wit it.
__________________
92 YJ. High Output 4.0L
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 07:23 PM   #9
andybloch1
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: bolton, massachusetts
Posts: 22
Thanks Robster, aside from you everyone else seems to be really irked by this question while not offering anything constructive to the issue. I'll state my case a little more thoroughly.

Yj tops from the factory have a tuck under rail bolted to the tub rail. This is inferior to the TJ system because I need to remove it to put on my hard top. +1 for the TJ top.

Yj tops from the factory tuck under to the door surrounds while the YJ ones need to attach using a series of snaps. On the TJ top if you just leave this loose, it still has a snug fit (less wind flapping) while if you refrain from snapping the YJ top it buffets like a sail boat coming about. +2 +3 for the TJ top.

Tj tops attach to the windshield with a pressure fit where you simply clip two latches and you have a fit that is more snug than all of the grunting and groaning you can do to get the top in the windshield channel. And you can attach it to the windshield without climbing all over your JEEP like a monkey. +4 +5 for the TJ.

I guess after having such a well-designed, convenient top, and knowing it exists it is hard to swallow such an inferior design. Especially when the spirit of JeepForum is innovation and ingenuity. It seems as if most of you who replied are angry that I even mentioned it. That it is part of the YJ code that we should be happy with the PIA top because of some sort of nostalgic code of Yj honor. Personally I want the JEEP that speaks to me and that I like and if that is a YJ with a TJ style top so be it. I was looking for help and technical info which has been offered by no one.

I have no experience with the many aftermarket tops for the YJ. If I can sell my TJ top and get a YJ one that works as well I would be open to that option. However the thing that makes the TJ top so tight is the windshield hooks and since there are no holes in the YJ windshield to accommodate said hooks I doubt the aftermarket tops for the YJ are as good as the TJ.

Plus it might be fun to try. Lighten up guys.
andybloch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 07:32 PM   #10
TheRobster
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mission, BC Canada
Posts: 395
I think that thing about welding it on might have thrown people.
I say give it a shot. Carefully.
Try a loose, dry fit. See if it looks possible.
Go slowly, and try to keep a plan in mind to back out, just in case...

And most importantly... Take lots of pictures, and document everything. You might be on to something here.

I seem to remember someone putting a TJ hard top on a YJ, with some mods needed. So you might just be the first.
__________________
Check out my cheep bastard Jeep mod blog.

http://jeepyjwrangler.blogspot.com/
TheRobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 09:19 PM   #11
92 Green YJ
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Spring Valley, San Diego, CA, California
Posts: 3,839
good luck. let us know how it turns out. I'm just trying to help you not waste time and a hell of a lot of money to find out it won't work. And I agree the YJ top design sucks. I wasn't denying that. Thats why I don't run one anymore. Just a Safari style bikini top and full soft doors. windjammer if its cold. And again, there is much more out there than the factory options. check out rampage tops (i think they were the company that made the cool fastback style tops)
__________________
92 YJ. High Output 4.0L
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 10:24 PM   #12
ratmonkey
R.I.P.
 
ratmonkey's Avatar
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: , Pennsylvania
Posts: 19,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybloch1 View Post
Thanks Robster, aside from you everyone else seems to be really irked by this question while not offering anything constructive to the issue. I'll state my case a little more thoroughly.

Yj tops from the factory have a tuck under rail bolted to the tub rail. This is inferior to the TJ system because I need to remove it to put on my hard top. +1 for the TJ top.

Yj tops from the factory tuck under to the door surrounds while the YJ ones need to attach using a series of snaps. On the TJ top if you just leave this loose, it still has a snug fit (less wind flapping) while if you refrain from snapping the YJ top it buffets like a sail boat coming about. +2 +3 for the TJ top.

Tj tops attach to the windshield with a pressure fit where you simply clip two latches and you have a fit that is more snug than all of the grunting and groaning you can do to get the top in the windshield channel. And you can attach it to the windshield without climbing all over your JEEP like a monkey. +4 +5 for the TJ.

I guess after having such a well-designed, convenient top, and knowing it exists it is hard to swallow such an inferior design. Especially when the spirit of JeepForum is innovation and ingenuity. It seems as if most of you who replied are angry that I even mentioned it. That it is part of the YJ code that we should be happy with the PIA top because of some sort of nostalgic code of Yj honor. Personally I want the JEEP that speaks to me and that I like and if that is a YJ with a TJ style top so be it. I was looking for help and technical info which has been offered by no one.

I have no experience with the many aftermarket tops for the YJ. If I can sell my TJ top and get a YJ one that works as well I would be open to that option. However the thing that makes the TJ top so tight is the windshield hooks and since there are no holes in the YJ windshield to accommodate said hooks I doubt the aftermarket tops for the YJ are as good as the TJ.

Plus it might be fun to try. Lighten up guys.
All of those pluses get tossed out because the fit on the yj with a tj top is worse than with a yj top.

There are aftermarket tops that work almost like you want.
__________________
'97 zj 5.2, some stuff, some other suff, and some things that even work sometimes.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 10:41 PM   #13
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur
 
Tom95YJ's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 8,376
Have you considered a Bestop Sunrider ? IIRC it will attach to the windshield frame simular to the TJ style
__________________
'89 YJ The Smurf Build Thread
'99 XJ Black Betty Build Thread
Tom95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 10:47 PM   #14
timatoe
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Grass Valley California
Posts: 13,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
Have you considered a Bestop Sunrider ? IIRC it will attach to the windshield frame simular to the TJ style
It does and it takes me about 5 minutes to drop it, but I typically leave it up and just pull the windows so it's basically a safari top.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 11:45 PM   #15
Xpress
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: The Great Big Box, California
Posts: 5,806
I have a Best Top on mine. Takes 1 min to pull off the top, and then thanks to cotter pin quick disconnects, the cage can be removed in another minute and tucked into the back seat.
__________________
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/another-5-2l-yj-thread-1503048/"]My 5.2L Build thread[/URL]

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.