why is there water comin from under my dash? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > why is there water comin from under my dash?

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 11-25-2006, 03:47 PM   #1
Git-R-Done

why is there water comin from under my dash?

Like the title says. there us water dumping/running from under my dash after i wash my jeep. its happened twice now. does it have something to do with the vent on the hood in front of the window? How do i stop this, im tired of wet feet.

Git-R-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 03:51 PM   #2
BIGWILL78
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You can search through the threads on here, there is someone that asks this every day, and it is in the FAQ's as well. More than likely it is just what you are looking at. There is a drain hose that comes out of that vent on the back of the firewall and runs straight down, this hose gets clogged and the water comes into the vent system and out. Check that first of all. After that check out your windshield and your cowl seal between the windshield and the body. Good Luck.
Unread 11-25-2006, 03:52 PM   #3
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

You need a new cowl seal.

Either that or the drain tube (pass side along firewall) is clogged.

Either that or you own a YJ, they all leak.
Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 03:53 PM   #4
toomanytoys

Could be a few things. One as you mentioned is the cowl vent. The other could be your windshield to firewall seal. The other could be your cowl to firewall body seal. It's caulked more or less from the factory. After a while it deteriorates. Check other other two options first, as they are the easiest to fix. If it's your body leaking, grap a bucket of roof tar and prepare to take to dash out to fix it right.
toomanytoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 03:57 PM   #5
Git-R-Done

well i know its not the windshield cuz i just redid the windsheild frame and put a new window in. so ill check that drain hose, and the seal on the vent. Thanks
Unread 11-25-2006, 04:12 PM   #6
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Git-R-Done
well i know its not the windshield cuz i just redid the windsheild frame....
The cowl seal is below the windshield, it's where the windshield and tub meet, right at the hinge point.
Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 04:21 PM   #7
chico166
2011 JK Wrangler 

cleaned my drain tube two weeks ago beacuse it seemed like a gallon would pour on my shoes after a light rain. Since then we had two good sets of rainy days and not a drop of water inside.
chico166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 04:22 PM   #8
Git-R-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmond 88 YJ
The cowl seal is below the windshield, it's where the windshield and tub meet, right at the hinge point.
Oh ok. Thanks.
Unread 11-29-2006, 11:44 AM   #9
cody11ca
1993 YJ Wrangler 

check the drain on the firewall on the passenger side. Looks like a black condom. Mine was full of mud and junk and wouldnt let any water drain. and so the water run under the dash pouring onto my feet.
cody11ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2006, 12:25 PM   #10
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanytoys
If it's your body leaking, grap a bucket of roof tar and prepare to take to dash out to fix it right.
Could you please elaborate on this? where would the body allow leaking? I am having trouble finding a leak of my own, that whole remove the dash thing does not sound promising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
-------------------------------
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2006, 07:37 PM   #11
toomanytoys

Hmm, how do I put this. Looking at the Jeep from either side, put your hand on the body right behind the hood. Then move it back toward the windshield. The line that is caulked from the factory deteriorates after a while. It will be the crack that is right under your windshield, in front of your doors, and above where the fender mounts to the tub.
Unread 11-29-2006, 07:38 PM   #12
JeepTransformer
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, it is the vent on the hoood
buy a hood scoop for like 20$

brraaap
JeepTransformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2006, 08:00 PM   #13
chico166
2011 JK Wrangler 

I bought one of those in addition to cleaning the drain tube and haven't had a drop of water in mine since. I bought the sccop that crews in with the original holes instead of the adhesive one.
chico166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2006, 07:03 AM   #14
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanytoys
Hmm, how do I put this. Looking at the Jeep from either side, put your hand on the body right behind the hood. Then move it back toward the windshield. The line that is caulked from the factory deteriorates after a while. It will be the crack that is right under your windshield, in front of your doors, and above where the fender mounts to the tub.
I got ya, thanks a lot!
I have another question... can't you just apply clear silicone on top of this caulk to stop the leak instead of removing a bunch of things to get under the dash? With patience and skill you can make it look decent I think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
-------------------------------
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2006, 05:38 PM   #15
toomanytoys

You probably could on the drivers side, if that's where your leak is. On the pass. side, there's really no good way to get to it without the dash out. The only reason I done it the way I talked about, was because I already had my whole dash out for some other stuff. Looks aren't really important. Once everything is back together, you can't see any of it. Heck the factory job looks like crap. I guess since we're having this thread, it works like crap too.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.