Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Why are Sway and Trac bars not needed

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  YJBlues 
#1 ·
I don't have mine on but due have a darting problem. I just would like to know the mechanics of why they are needed or not.

#2 ·
Track bars keep the axles centered under the jeep

sway bar is a giant spring that is connected the body and both sides of the front axle keep body roll and flex to a minimum.

Have you had an alignment/caster and camber adjustment? The lift would change both, a drag link that's on a steep angle will cause bump steer/darting. The larger the angle the smaller the bump needs to be.

How do your ball joints, tie rod ends, drag link ends and steering box feel for play? Worn steering parts and a drag link with a good lean will make for a scary ride!

Also make sure your u-bolts are tight along with your shackles. When i did my lift i torqued them to recommended by the instructions and a week later they were no where near snug enough! (directions said to re-torque and I'm glad i did!)

yyj

#3 ·
Track bars keep the axles centered under the jeep
And are not needed cause your springs do it for you, on a TJ, they use coils so trac bars ARE needed, nothing to hold the axles form going side to side....

sway bar is a giant spring that is connected the body and both sides of the front axle keep body roll and flex to a minimum.
is not needed, really on either, just gives you more body roll.....

Have you had an alignment/caster and camber adjustment? The lift would change both, a drag link that's on a steep angle will cause bump steer/darting. The larger the angle the smaller the bump needs to be.

How do your ball joints, tie rod ends, drag link ends and steering box feel for play? Worn steering parts and a drag link with a good lean will make for a scary ride!

Also make sure your u-bolts are tight along with your shackles. When i did my lift i torqued them to recommended by the instructions and a week later they were no where near snug enough! (directions said to re-torque and I'm glad i did!)

yyj

#5 · (Edited)
giggityjeeper, The sway bar prevents body roll (i think thats what you ment) track bars (proper length for lift) will give you more stability, but not much. the difference between track bars on and off is really dependent on the condition of your bushings, the type/length of shackles and leaf spring quality/style/height. A split shackle wont provide the stability that a shackle with a welded brace will(split flexes beter). A long shackle will also hurt your stability.

Sway and track bars were put on the jeep for a reason, Everyone on here will argue that there is no need to have them they do nothing! They are wrong, you wont realize the true difference untill you try to swerve (I mean swerve HARD)at high speed or get the truck sideways on bare pavement. If you end up in either or both of the above stated without sway and track bars, GOOD LUCK!

Mine are off by the way.

yyj :wave:

#6 ·
giggityjeeper, The sway bar prevents body roll (i think thats what you ment) track bars (proper length for lift) will give you more stability, but not much. the difference between track bars on and off is really dependent on the condition of your bushings, the type/length of shackles and leaf spring quality/style/height. A split shackle wont provide the stability that a shackle with a welded brace will(split flexes beter). A long shackle will also hurt your stability.

Sway and track bars were put on the jeep for a reason, Everyone on here will argue that there is no need to have them they do nothing! They are wrong, you wont realize the true difference untill you try to swerve (I mean swerve HARD)at high speed or get the truck sideways on bare pavement. If you end up in either or both of the above stated without sway and track bars, GOOD LUCK!

Mine are off by the way.

yyj :wave:
Hmmmm, someone that knows more than anyone else... I remember when my kid knew everything.. I went to him allot to get advise :teehee::cheers::2thumbsup:

#11 ·
the tracs keep the axle from shifting side to side. not really needed and not a big deal anyway if they were since you are on leafs.
the sway on the otherhand imo is needed on the street because it limits body roll in corners. leaf or not it's a safety issue and are safer on the street. discos them for offroad.

#14 ·
cant answer your q. but I had darting problems after the lift install. With lift shackles in the front you will have to have the caster angle adjusted. Go to a shop that will measure all angles and get it right, Les Shwab had no idea how to do it correctly. thats my experience, hope it will help you out. Now drives 100% better and only a 100$ to shim it, and realign

#15 ·
from what I've heard shims in the front will only correct pinion angle not caster. To CORRECTLY adjust caster you have to grind off welds from the axle tube and the knuckle yokes rotating them to 6-7 deg +. So I'm curious, are you sure that all they did was shims?

#16 ·
Actually shims DO change the caster angles on the front.

#17 ·
You can also get moog ajustable ball joints. That is what im gonna do. Hopefully ill be able to take the shims from rear when the 8.8 goes in next week and the ajustable ball joints plus a good shop that has an idea of what is going on. I am running a set of BDS 3 1/2" lift spring and 1 1/4" lift shackles and dont have swaybars and trac bars. Jeep does ok on road but its only ok for me (fiance hates to drive it/ ride in it.)

Josh

#19 ·
After my lift, even with the relocation brackets, the sway bars caused all kinds of rough riding and darting issues as it changed how the jeep moved on the suspension. I have quick disconnects for my sway bar though, don't care for the amount of body roll without them on the street.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.