Why is Rough Country so bad? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Why is Rough Country so bad?

Free shipping on Rugged Ridge XHD bumpersBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-19-2015, 12:59 PM   #1
TransRV
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Why is Rough Country so bad?

Ok y'all, I've read and read and read..

I see the RC hate here & there but none ever really says why? I am def on a budget or would not be asking but are the cheap 2.5 kits really that bad?

I don't really need flex at this juncture; just need to replace these tired springs but don't want complete junk. I am a quality snob usually, but on a pretty tight budget!

Thinking RE if you guys just say they are total junk, but maybe Pro-Comp, IDK, some sort of middle ground???

Thanks!

Unread 01-19-2015, 01:01 PM   #2
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you're looking for a middle of the road lift kit it wouldn't hurt checking into Zone. They're BDS' sister company and their quality is much better then rough country
Unread 01-19-2015, 01:20 PM   #3
TransRV
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sweet, thanks man. Had never even heard of them!

Wonder if their shocks are the same as BDS? HaHa, I must be dreaming..
Unread 01-19-2015, 01:51 PM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The doigh country springs are generally just rough riding. They are cheaply produced and the tempering process for the spring steel is less than the quality of the little springs that hold in batteries on the cheap universal remotes. There have been a couple guys that like them like tom but most that think they are happy with their ride quality with rough country just don't know any different. The spring rate is primitively rough and they don't have much of a spring back function. In my opinion they are just bent pieces of steel that folks hope will make their jeep just look good.

This is basically what they do. Overarch the springs and hope that you're happy with it when it settles before it sags to two inches below the advertised height. Like I said, some have had good luck but most people have had a bad enough experience for me to dissuade them from buying them.

For a 2.5" lift, old man emu has some decent springs.
Unread 01-19-2015, 02:06 PM   #5
T800
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransRV View Post
Ok y'all, I've read and read and read..

I see the RC hate here & there but none ever really says why?

Thanks!
Their springs are rough riding and sag out really fast. Put a RC lift on my Wagoneer back in 90-91. It rode so harsh off road I was about to go back to stock, but then swapped that off for an FJ-40.

My YJ had a 4" RC lift from the previous owner that had sagged down to stock height. I scrapped everything but the brake line extensions and put together my own. Fabtec 3.5 springs, 5/8" shackles, Daystar bushings and Skyjacker shocks.

I'm not really up on what all is out there for the budget lift but I'm sure many others will chime in, but do consider piecing it together yourself. You can generally save some cash.

Anyway, just my experience FWIW.
T800 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2015, 02:09 PM   #6
Jeepsr4me

I have bought more than 3 kits from them. The quality of the SPRINGS is terrible. The metal looks like it was forged by a blacksmith, and not in a good way. Spring steel should be smooth and hold up over time.
I found that RC OVER shots the lift height by about 3 inches in order for it to settle down to the stated amount of lift.
MANY here have a problem with that, they get the 3 or 4 inch lift and in reality its like 6 inches. And then it settles down to about 1/2 that lift. Then because it has sagged, the ride comfort is not good at all. And before the sag it is ROUGH ridding.

But if flex and comfort is not what your need then the kits work like they should and are cheap.. I got them cause it was cheaper than replacing the broken springs on the jeeps I buy and sell. We have more mud around here than rock crawling so height is more important.
I have switched over to getting ZONE now since the price is right in line with RC but the quality is better and a BETTER selling point. Buy a good lift and worry about other parts of the jeep. Dont Cheap out on a jeep you are going to keep and use.
Jeepsr4me is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2015, 02:14 PM   #7
TransRV
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks! All good info.

Would one say?

RE=Zone
RE>Zone
RE<Zone

& again, thanks to all; I do intend on piecing it together, to save $ while hand-picking my lift. Hope that doesn't backfire!
Unread 01-19-2015, 02:21 PM   #8
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Rubicon express has a better warranty. As for the difference in ride quality, I can't tell you. I've never run zone Offroad springs.
Unread 01-19-2015, 05:25 PM   #9
Luuca
TYPICAL /F12 HOOLIGAN

2005 LJ Wrangler 

First of all, let me be the first to say this (in this thread) DO NOT BUY A LIFT KIT.

Lift kits, in general, have a lot of do-dads and demaflagies you do not need to buy to lift your jeep. IMO - on a limited budget, do this:

Your total out the door with shocks will be less than $600 and you'll have a awesome-riding, high quality lift.

EDIT_ AND you'll only have to buy the springs once. You can add better shocks as budget allows. You can build on this set up, unlike the cheap RC springs.

/f12 MOAB 2015
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2015, 05:35 PM   #10
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

There is a market for Rough Country springs.

They are perfect for some.
Unread 01-19-2015, 05:41 PM   #11
Luuca
TYPICAL /F12 HOOLIGAN

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
There is a market for Rough Country springs.

They are perfect for some.
To this I ask a simple question:

Look at what you are wearing right now. Your shirt, your pants/jeans. Your watch. Is there anything you are wearing right now that you could have paid less for? Of course there is. Your watch, for example. My watch costs a few hundred dollars. I could have gone to the thrift store and purchased a $10 digital plastic watch, but I didn't. Why? because some things are worth the extra money you spend on them. I could have spent thousands more (tens of thouseands more) but I chose this watch because it held the most VALUE for my money.

The same should apply to your lift kit. Selling the jeep in a few months? Or keeping it in your life forever? There is a happy medium, but if you fall into the keeping it and wheeling it category, you need to start with a quality spring.

/f12 MOAB 2015
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2015, 06:06 PM   #12
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

If the springs sag, heat em' up and re bend em
Unread 01-19-2015, 07:37 PM   #13
Norcal_chris

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ride quality is something that shouldn't be skimped on to save just a couple bucks.

Rough country springs all around blow. Even the full size Chevy guys I run with have nothing but horrible things to say about them. Lucca gave great advice on a low price lift that doesn't ride pike a low priced lift.

Do it right and cry once or do it half asssed and cry for months because your Jeep rides like a dump truck and Loses lift height every month.

Just because you are on a budget, doesn't mean you have to use inferior garbage. I'm the example of that

OCT '13 & OCT '14 YJOTM 2014 YJOTY
Norcal_chris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2015, 08:09 PM   #14
TransRV
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks all! Especially Lucca, that takes valuable time to type & consolidate. I am crawling two of those threads already. I think the combo you pretty much layed out is right in line with where I want to be.

Ride is VERY important to me. I should have made that clear in the beginning. I do not want to sag but most importantly do not want to bounce any extra. This is my DD.

I didn't realize OME springs were within range & that combined sith a Gabriel shock combo should work nicely!

One more ? If anyone is still reading. At the 2.5 lift level, I will need sway bar discos or extensions correct?
Unread 01-19-2015, 08:14 PM   #15
TransRV
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Oh, and I've had the same $10 Academy watch on for about 6 years. HaHa!

Hadn't even replaced one battery yet, butI totally get what you're saying & agree.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.