Why ohh why did my YJ die???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Why ohh why did my YJ die????

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-20-2001, 03:08 PM   #1
Tony & his 91' YJ

Why ohh why did my YJ die????

Last night I was wheelin and out of nowhere my baby just died. I crank it and it does crank. Just not catching. All hoses etc. seem to be connected. Plenty of gas. After cranking for a while my battery died. Can a dead battery cause your Jeep to just completely loose power and die? I'm thinking it might be the alternator and battery that are bad? Should I just replace the battery? I tried jumping it and it still just cranks. What is the problem?!?!?!?

2.5 liter Herculined, 2.5” ProComp Suspension lift, 1.4” shackle lift, New Gibson Exhaust,31” Pro Comp Mud Terrain, Olympic Grill guard, Olympic Brush guard, smittybuilt nerf bars with step, Hella 550
tndboult@yahoo.com
91 YJ
/____\
{OlllllO}
[]---[]
Tony & his 91' YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2001, 04:37 PM   #2
Big92Jeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

Did you hit a big bump or drop? Or did it just die?

Well, if your alternator is dead you jeep will run off the battery juice until it drains it completely. Pull the alternator and have it tested before you spend money on a new battery or you are could be just wasting money. If it's not your alternator then we will need some more info on exactly what you were doing to figure out what happened. Big bump, water ect.

~RěCK
Unread 12-20-2001, 06:07 PM   #3
Tony & his 91' YJ

No big bumps and very little water. It just quit on me on a flat part of a trail. I'll have the alternator tested and let you know the outcome. -T
2.5 liter Herculined, 2.5” ProComp Suspension lift, 1.4” shackle lift, New Gibson Exhaust,31” Pro Comp Mud Terrain, Olympic Grill guard, Olympic Brush guard, smittybuilt nerf bars with step, Hella 550
tndboult@yahoo.com
91 YJ
/____\
{OlllllO}
[]---[]
Tony & his 91' YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2001, 07:10 AM   #4
MusicMaverick
2010 JK Wrangler 

It sounds like your Jeep isnt getting fuel. Check your fuel lines. Sounds like a fuel pump to me. Your Battery died because you kept cranking it after it wouldnt start, and the alternator couldnt charge your battery back up because the engine wasnt running. I think your electrical system is still good, you just need to charge your battery. A good way to check is to spray some starter fluid in your carb, if it turns over just for a second, then its definately your fuel line or pump.

Past vehicles:
1992 YJ
1997 TJ
MusicMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2001, 03:21 PM   #5
Kev
Master of the Obvious

Check to see if you are getting fuel like MusicMaverick posted. If that's okay, check for spark (but don't get yourself shocked ). If you have both, I would lean toward a timing problem; what kind of mileage do you have? Has the timing gears/chain ever been changed? I have the exact same senario (not on a Jeep) and it ended up being the timing gears were toast.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you find.

"We, too, born to freedom, and believing in freedom, are willing to fight to maintain freedom. We and all others who believe as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." FDR

Blue Jeep Club Member #4
92 Canyon Blue Wrangler YJ 4.0L - with some fun goodies
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.