Why not have one more build thread? 94 Sahara - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Why not have one more build thread? 94 Sahara

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiSpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 03-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #16
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Prep, prep and more prep. If you think your done go back and prep some more tonight.

Then line it over the weekend.

jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #17
ShaMDog

A few cell phone pics of the herculiner all done. Gonna let it dry and star reassembly tomorrow. Love the way it looks!
image-493351608.jpg   image-1597965922.jpg   image-996876463.jpg  
ShaMDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 07:23 AM   #18
ShaMDog

Alright. So it's been a few weeks since I updated this. I will try to get some pictures this afternoon. It has been a BUSY few weeks for me so all I've had time to do is troll the forums for answers. Anyhow, it's all back together. Painted the top flat black with some fabric and vinyl paint, fixed some of the PO's wiring nightmares, fixed my heat(should have done this sooner! It's cold here!), mounted my jack on the hood, swapped in a new Optima red top, and pulled the factory ac. I left the compressor on and ordered the stuff I need for OBA, so when that gets here I'll have another project to knock out. Got some Bilstein shocks on the way from Kolak, and I have a 4000w power inverter sitting on a shelf waiting to be installed. The list of things to do is quickly growing. Now, I have a few questions for the forum... I am leaning towards doing a SOA instead of getting a larger lift. With my 3.5 I have it should net me about 8.5 inches, correct? Now, should I wait until I get the 8.8 to do this or just fab up some new mounts when I put the 8.8 in? Also, with the ac being pulled, what is the ac kit worth with everything minus the compressor? Is there a market for used ac systems on here? And my last question is, I know the rear can't handle over 33's but when I put the 8.8 on it I know it can. But, what about the front? Can it handle 35's without any real modifying? Also, with roughly 8.5" of lift, should I stick with 35's or get 37's?

Sorry. Lots of things running through my head. Thanks in advance!
Unread 03-31-2013, 05:59 PM   #19
ShaMDog

Ok, pictures tomorrow. I promise! Anyone have any input to my questions?
Unread 03-31-2013, 07:20 PM   #20
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I remember when my Sahara used to look like that. Our front drivers seats match up pretty good though. I'm planning on some Cavalier seats at some point. I have sewed it back together many times but it's reached its limit on repairs.

As for your questions. An SOA is fairly involved. You have to consider steering, axle wrap, new driveline angles etc. Plus using 3.5" lift springs will put it way up there. You don't necessarily need 8.5" of lift to run 35's or 37's. Most of that can be with modifying the body, small body lift and shackle lift with a combination of lift springs. If you do go SOA I would consider springs with 0-1" lift. As far as the axle strength yes the 8.8 will handle 35's. The D30 will run them but keep spare shafts. Some guys upgrade to the larger u-joint XJ and TJ shafts and others build trusses and sleeves etc. The A/C system can be sold relatively easy since a lot of folks want them. A complete aftermarket kit is around $900 but I wouldn't try to sell a stock system for that much.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 08:18 AM   #21
ShaMDog

Well I've already considered the steering and driveline issues I will encounter, but what should I do to deal with axle wrap? So, do you think I should dump the black diamond lift that's on it and take it back to stock springs for the soa? I had debates this from the get go but just tossed the idea because I assumed it would be ok. As far as the ac goes... Looks like there will be some new ac stuff on eBay tonight. Lol. Thanks for the input. I'm pretty new to the jeep world and have a lot to learn.
Unread 04-01-2013, 06:44 PM   #22
ShaMDog

Alright... as promised. This is as she sits today. I washed it and took some pictures.

Unread 04-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #23
ShaMDog

Well, shocks came in the mail today. And I also have a new project! Going to swap in some 4" round led tails after finding out my drivers taillight is broken as hell.

Last edited by ShaMDog; 04-02-2013 at 06:17 PM..
Unread 04-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #24
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

So what tire size are you planning on running and what type of terrain will your jeep mostly see? This will help determine what to do with your suspension. I run the same 3.5" Black Diamond springs and have had success. When I go to a 35" tire I am going to look into a SOA suspension with 0-1" lift.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #25
ShaMDog

Well, I'm mostly looking to use it as a DD to and from work and hit some trails/camping on the weekends. I'm leaning towards 35's but I really wouldn't be opposed to 37's if I could pull them off. So do you think I should ditch the BD springs and go back to stock or a shorter lift? I suppose I could go back to stock and get some shackle lifts. Also debating a 1" body lift to get some more clearance for the suspension to articulate.
Unread 04-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #26
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaMDog View Post
Well, I'm mostly looking to use it as a DD to and from work and hit some trails/camping on the weekends. I'm leaning towards 35's but I really wouldn't be opposed to 37's if I could pull them off. So do you think I should ditch the BD springs and go back to stock or a shorter lift? I suppose I could go back to stock and get some shackle lifts. Also debating a 1" body lift to get some more clearance for the suspension to articulate.
If you go SOA then yes you should look for springs with little to not lift. However, you may want to stick with the smaller tire sizes for a DD and weekend warrior. It will keep the gas cost down and may add some life to the drivetrain components or you could have two sets of tires. One for the road and one for the trails. I wouldn't ditch the Black Diamond springs but rather keep an eye out for stock ones depending on your plan.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #27
ShaMDog

So you think 35's would be ok for a DD or should i run done 33's for street and 35's for trail? You think soa with stocks on a 1" shackle lift and a 1" body lift would be too much?
Unread 04-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #28
ShaMDog

New shocks went in today. Got out of work early and took advantage of the amazing weather here in TN today. Took me about an hour and a half but the difference is amazing! The old Black Diamond shocks had nothing left in them. They were WAY overdue for replacement. Anyhow, on to the pictures...

Pulled into the garage and ready for some TLC

The new shocks are in. Thank you Kolak for the great deal!

Old shocks coming out

The old BD shocks fully extended(I had to do this. they didn't move at all on their own)

Fully compressed. Again, no movement from the shocks. No wonder the ride was so rough.

Bilstein's in!

Added a little more to the garbage pile that I've pulled off the ole YJ.
Unread 04-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #29
flashy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You could do waggie springs....then you get the lift from the springs...you get lift from the SOA...plus you get 4" of stretch from the springs. But I'm kinda bias cuz that is what doing!! LOL

94 YJ slightly modified

00 WJ stock
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #30
ShaMDog

Waggie springs eh? I'm going to have to search that one. It's a new one to me.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.