Why not have one more build thread? 94 Sahara - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Why not have one more build thread? 94 Sahara

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 02-25-2013, 08:50 PM   #1
ShaMDog

Why not have one more build thread? 94 Sahara

Hey guys, whats going on? Figured I would post up another build thread for those of you like me who enjoy reading through them and to help get ideas. I've been snooping around for a few weeks now while i scoped out Jeeps in my area. Finally settled on the 1994 Sahara. It was amazingly rust free. I wasn't expecting that at all. I assumed I would find some surface rust on the inside for sure. But, after pulling the carpet there was none. Anyhow, this is going to be a slow build thread as I, like most, am building on a budget. As it sits it is on a 2.5" Black Diamond AAL lift kit. This is my first Jeep and I won't lie when I say that I don't know what I'm getting myself into. I'm planning to put an actual suspension lift on at some point. I would also like to put an 8.8 4.10 underneath her, but for now I am going to focus on refreshing the interior, tuning up the motor, and probably replacing the tires. Its running a set of super swampers but the fronts are cupped so it makes the ride somewhat bumpy. That coupled with the fact that this will be my DD and weekend warrior, I what to get something a little more road friendly and less aggressive. Leaning towards some Goodyear MTR's perhaps. Anyhow, onto pictures for now. I will more than likely have some questions along the way and I hope that you can all help me with the issues I can't find while searching, but I'm doing my best to find results through search alone. So, here we go. And thanks for reading!

Here she sits today. Just got my registration and plates, so I decided I would tear into it and get it ready to start driving next week.

The fenders are nice being they are paint matched but I plan to remove them because they are pretty badly dry rotted. Planning to put some body armor on to give it a little more ruggedness.

Heavy duty rear tube bumper with a heavy duty spare tire holder. Plans are to add a few water/ fuel cans back here and put a storage rack over the spare for weekend camping storage. I also saw a guy build a charcoal grill to mount in his receiver mount. Interested in maybe giving that a try.

The only real issue with the paint, other than the fenders is the fact that the clear started pealing on the hood. I'm planning on repainting it, but haven't settled on plans for that yet. Any input? Thoughts? Ideas?

Pretty heavy duty front bumper. May be overkill for my plans, but everyone can use a winch, right?

The drivers seat is in HORRIBLE condition. All the other seats are pristine. Thinking about swapping them out for a junkyard special, or ordering some from bestop. Again, any input?

Came with an Instatrunk but it was pretty beat up. May try to straighten it up or just order a new one. Or maybe scrap it all together. So many ideas running through my head!

PO thought it was a grand idea to install an K&N air filter in a vehicle designed for offroading and driving through mud/ water. Gotta find a solution to this issue. Ideas?

Oil buildup on the valve cover. Issue or am I being paranoid?

Again, very very little rust underneath. Where there IS rust, it is very light surface rust only.

It's got a BDS steering damper and Black Diamond Shocks. I'm pretty narrow minded when it comes to shocks. All I really know are Rancho's. Are they good? Should I look into upgrading them?

What is this rod with the two retaining clips? I'm assuming its designed to be removed to increase articulation. Also, can I remove the bump stops? Or are they still on for a good reason?

Almost entirely rust free frame and under carriage.

Can't really tell here, but it appears that my rear pinion seal needs to be replaced. Anyone concur?

Also, there is some oil buildup on the shaft and the u-joint. I tried to get a picture but it really didn't show up. Its the shiny part on the right side. What could this be from?

Back seat and carpet pulled.

Fenderwell carpet pulled.

I'M RICH!! Wait, nope, just plastic. D@mn!

Can anyone guess what my first mod is? I'll give you a hint... nah, I'll just tell you. I plan on putting a truck bed coating in. Still tossing around which one I'm planning. Thinking about doing the Herculiner. Seems to be a good DIY kit that is much stronger than the Duplicolor garbage and a hell of a lot cheaper than rhinoliner.

Made a lot of progress the first night. Gonna finish prepping tomorrow and probably paint tomorrow night or Wednesday.

And, that's it for tonight! More to come. Thanks for looking!

ShaMDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Nice. As for paint, my jeep is a green Sahara too. I like the color. It's a factory matte (not very shiny) color with tons of metal flake. My vote? Keep it a Sahara. The seats? I love my seats. Since all the other seats are good, why not take the seat to a good upholsterer and have it redone? I would yank the sway bar completely. I did and it rode so much better and doesn't lean at all around corners. Don't know why they put it on in the first place. Also yank the rear trac bar. Does nothing but bind the rear suspension. (If you have vehivle inspections there, ignore what I said about the sway and trac bars)

The tires and the ride.
How much air is in the tires? Maybe try 20 psi. Might improve the ride. Rotate the tires to even out the wear. (More money for your reupholstered seat!)

Nice find overall. Now be careful on that damn crotchrocket. Want to see your build for awhile!
Unread 02-26-2013, 04:47 AM   #3
ShaMDog

Yeah, I like the color too, just don't know how much I want to put into a professional paint job. I had done a little reading on removing the trac bar and sway bar, but with it being my DD, will it affect it in a negative way?

As far as the interior goes, I will be using some of that duplicolor vinyl and interior spray to change the green and grey panels to black. And my biggest worry about reupholstering the drivers seat is it will look 10 times better than the others. I was thinking about pulling some black leather seats out of a 2006-08 Grand Prix. I like the way they look, but again, will this hold up well off roading?

Thanks for the input. Like I said, this isn't going to be a fast moving thread by any means. I'm expecting more than 12 months to complete this project. And as fat as the bike goes, it's another one of my projects that have fallen by the wayside due to winter. I miss riding. Looking forward to starting back up when it warms up.
Unread 02-26-2013, 05:33 AM   #4
Gage56
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

WOW I Want those Seats Best looking stock seats ive seen yet !!!!!!!!
Gage56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2013, 05:53 AM   #5
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If you change the seats keep your Sahara seats. You might want them at some other time. They are quite valuable so keep that in mind.
Speed limits here are 75 and soon to go to 85. My Jeep is not a DD but some times the trail ends far from where I start. Stability was a huge concern of mine. I read many threads and decided to try the sway bar removal and trac bar removal. But first I needed springs. OME soft was my choice along with Bilstein shocks. Very happy with the choice. Great ride, nice and soft for duning and high speed desert trails. Really soaks up the washboards. Then I went for it. Pulled the sway bar and rear trac bar. Honestly, absolutely no negative change in handling. The people on this forum (most of them anyway) know their sh*t. I'm building my Jeep for sand (and desert trails) and some rocks, but I don't see the Rubicon trail in my near future.
I'm going off dunes sideways that are nearly vertical. No sway bar? No sweat. I did leave my front trac bar on though.

Air cleaner. I'm taking a different direction than most. I'm looking for a Donaldson 2 stage air cleaner. They are used on heavy equipment and heavy trucks. K&N not only lets more air in, but more dirt as well. Considering you are in Tn, I assume you will see plenty of mud and water. You might want to consider a proper air filtration system and a snorkel.

Not sure what to make of the oil on your valve cover. De-grease it and keep your eye on it.

Also not sure about the bump stop extensions. My guess is the shocks don't have enough travel. My favorite shocks are Fox, Bilstein and King. I don't have the dough for King right now with two teenage boys. My food bill alone is running $500 per week. Yes, I said WEEK!

As far as tires, our conditions here are so much different, I don't think I could give very good advise. But the last tires I had (on my CJ7) were BFG mud terrains. They held up well and were surprisingly comfortable on the street. Never really had them in mud though. Not really any mud here!

Should be an interesting thread. Good luck with the Jeep. Looks like it was a good find.

Yep, same seats. This was after a dusty trail. They are clean now.

Unread 02-26-2013, 06:04 AM   #6
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

At this stage you have a good foundation to build your rig into anything you want.

The factor is deciding what DO you want and money/time/mechanical ability you have to get there. All to often folks have grandoise ideas on what they want their project to be then fall short because they have not the time/money/ability to pull it off.

Another big consideration is simply money. All to often the words cheap and effective are used in the same sentence. Most times you can have one or the other but not both.

You will find plenty of information on this site. Being a paying member makes the search function quite a bit more user friendly. Use it to find the answers to your questions. Ask questions when you need to but please do some homework on your own first.

There are many many upgrades you can do to your junk (off road speak) to improve it just as it sets. Headlight relays, alternator wiring upgrades, wiring upgrades to name just a few.

This will get you started.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/r...u-used-490426/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...36/index2.html Start at post #28

The 8.8 swap is almost a weekly topic. It has been discussed to death. If you cannot find the information you need then your not trying hard enough.

Consider the seat issue. If you replace the fronts then you have a mismatched rear. That may or may not be an issue with you. There are many seat companies to choose from.

Please look beyond the Q`Tech and 4WS catalogs. While they have many good parts there are plenty more available from the aftermarket that often are better.

One example......Be aware that the fancy chrome or black powder coat hinges look cool but are made of quite a bit thinner material. Be aware that this principle carries throughout your vehicle. The OEM parts were designed to work to a wide latitude of conditions.

Another.....A cooling system that works in desert heat all the way to the frozen north plus last a long time. Many, many upgrades are not really upgrades at all, just band aids.

Not saying that there are not upgrades but plan your build first and see how all the parts mesh together with each other. Buy quality and buy once.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2013, 06:41 AM   #7
ShaMDog

Wow! Lots of reading! Thank you for all the feed back. I know I have a lot of decisions to make and skimping on quality has never been an issue with me. The reason this will be a slow build is because I plan to use quality and do it right the first time. Thanks again for all the feedback. And when you say these Sahara seats are valuable, how valuable do you think they are? Oooh, and as far as the back seat mismatched from the fronts, I've been tossing that one around and think I will either look for a black back seat or maybe attempt to dye the one I have. I haven't really thought that one completely through yet.
Unread 02-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #8
ShaMDog

So, I've got a quick question for those who have done it. I did a search on how to fill screw holes in the tub to beginning prepping for the bed liner. Should I buy myself a welder and tack the holes closed or can I get away with using some of that Quiksteel or JB Weld?
Unread 02-26-2013, 11:33 AM   #9
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaMDog View Post
So, I've got a quick question for those who have done it. I did a search on how to fill screw holes in the tub to beginning prepping for the bed liner. Should I buy myself a welder and tack the holes closed or can I get away with using some of that Quiksteel or JB Weld?
If the hole is threaded then a bolt coated with anti seize and a fender washer with RTV is screwed in.

If a non threaded hole then a bolt with anti size/fender washers/RTV and a nut.

Never know if you might want to reuse the hole again.
Unread 02-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #10
ShaMDog

So you suggest not filling it permanently? The holes really looking to fill are the ones where the carpet was screwed down. I don't plan to ever reuse the carpet, so I just wanted to be rid of the holes. So what would you recommend for that?
Unread 02-26-2013, 12:23 PM   #11
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

If you can clean and prep the area properly and weld them closed then do that. Otherwise I like to use my method.

Leave the big drain holes for when water gets in. Just put the plastic plugs in them after you line the tub.
Unread 02-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #12
ShaMDog

Anyone know what this is? It had no wires running to it, however it looks to be a light pod of some sort.
image-1472866536.jpg  
Unread 02-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #13
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

That is the backside of where my factory driving light switch is. A small light fits in that socket and the light has a green hue to it. Basically it lights up the panel where you can put light switches. The socket is a small metal cylinder with two wire connected. The light and socket are a little narrower than a pencil eraser.

You are missing the black square bezel.
Unread 02-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #14
ShaMDog

Well, didn't get as much done as I would have liked. Took the dash apart and started prepping it for paint. Vacuumed the floor board( still needs a good scrub down). Other than that it was a slow night. Hoping to paint the dash tomorrow and get started on the tub coating. Also, I'm thinking about putting a power inverter in for running accessories while camping or outing. Just gotta decide how I'm going to do it.
Unread 03-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #15
ShaMDog

Ok, so I'm planning to go pick up my Herculiner this afternoon. Been busy at work and haven't had a chance to knock it out. From what I've read 1 gal and a quart is about what I need to do it. Does that sound about right? Anything you would recommend? Hoping to knock this out tonight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.